...getting twitchy...to buy or not to buy...Winter Tyres

I mistakenly got quotes for V rated 18's rather than the Y's that are on the car

I'm not sure why your car has Y rated tyres - it doesn't go that fast! V would be fine, and I don't think there are any tyres in your size above W and with a very limited choice (if any) you'd be paying a hefty premium for that. On the other hand there appears to be a large selection of V rated tyres in that size, and a few more if you're willing to limit yourself to 130 mph while you have the tyres fitted.

I'm not sure why your car has Y rated tyres - it doesn't go that fast! V would be fine, and I don't think there are any tyres in your size above W and with a very limited choice (if any) you'd be paying a hefty premium for that. On the other hand there appears to be a large selection of V rated tyres in that size, and a few more if you're willing to limit yourself to 130 mph while you have the tyres fitted.

I believe the manual states that you can put lower rated tyres on when using winter tyres provided you do not exceed the speed rating. I use H rated winter tyres on my Scout, but have no plans to go above 120mph :) I set my Maxi dot under the winter tires menu to warn me at 110mph just in case.

I set my Maxi dot under the winter tires menu to warn me at 110mph just in case.

I'm a little confused about this ... does ANYONE really need a warning to remind them they are driving over 100mph?

I believe the manual states that you can put lower rated tyres on when using winter tyres provided you do not exceed the speed rating. I use H rated winter tyres on my Scout, but have no plans to go above 120mph :) I set my Maxi dot under the winter tires menu to warn me at 110mph just in case.

I hope you've agreed using h rated with your insurance co, otherwise you could have issues if you need to claim.

Gone & done it....went for Hankook Icebear W300's 225/40r18's V rated in the end from BlackCircles - £126.20 x 4 fitted.

Sounds like stocks are running low...my usual local fitter couldn't get them direct from Hankook after I'd placed an order with him earlier.

I think it's the right move (for me)....even if it'll cost me a few quid to swap them back & forth every six months.

Can't believe all the threads on Winter Tyres...

I hope you've agreed using h rated with your insurance co, otherwise you could have issues if you need to claim.

Providing the speed rating wasn't exceeded, how do you imagine that could be without the insurers being up front about not providing cover when the legal requirements for tyres have been met?

I know nobody can say for sure...but I am wondering whether to now consider a set of winter tyres for my petrol vrs. I recently bought a pair of Autosocks, but now my work location is changing (soon !) my commute is going from a 12 mile round trip on main/trunk roads, to potentially a 25 mle round trip on back/single track roads or even more if I come into town & head back out !

I don't fancy running 'steelies' although I see it is quite favoured on here. We used 'winters' on the front of my wife's Bora V5 for years (successfully - but I now appreciate 4 & not just 2 is a must !)

Anyway, started pricing them locally today & for 225/40R18's I am looking at upwards of £600 fitted ! Then I've to find somewhere to store 4 tyres & whatever it costs to refit them in say April/May next year. I do appreciate I'll be rotating two sets, so it's just more capital tied up in tyres & not really extra expense.

The other (more expensive!) option is I chop in my Vrs for a Scout (which I'd fancied doing anyway), but having heard the horror stories re waiting times, it sounds like that option is not going to work for this winter!

The final choice is to go for a different brands 4x4 - either car or true jeep style...something else I'd considered previously.

Oh - so many decisions, so little time...and all my own making for not planning sooner...problem is, the Vrs has never run or looked better...

Get yourself a Octy Scout and you wont need any of these decisions.I live in Tomatin (near inverness)1000 ft up and no problems.

I've got a Scout. Didn't stop me getting Winters this year. It's not about getting going, it's about stopping and cornering safer all winter. See above.

Niall

Providing the speed rating wasn't exceeded, how do you imagine that could be without the insurers being up front about not providing cover when the legal requirements for tyres have been met?

Not to mention that the manufactures manual states that it is ok.

I remember we had an extensive debate on this forum last winter regarding insurance companies and winter tyres and there seemed to be no correct answer. Some insurance companies charged extra if you told them you were swapping your summer tyres on alloys for winter tyres on steels, some like mine did not. Some people did not bother to tell their insurance company, being of the opinion (which I am inclinded to agree with) that provided the manufaturers guidelines regarding size and speed rating were followed it did not matter. Just a big can of worms...

One thing it is worth noting is that many insurance companies are claiming that premiums have risen so much this year as a direct result of all the accidents last winter, so there should be no reason for penalising drivers for taking the extra precuation of having winter tyres fitted. Maybe this winter with so many more people going down the road of winter tyres they will get their heads and their computers systems round the idea that it is a good thing?

Edited by KayakJim

A bit off topic, but I like your photos on your website, Jim :thumbup:

I'm hoping that if I get my winter tyres on, I'll be able to get a few photos up here in Scotland this winter too.

Edited by pixor