Power Steering Problems

Spim

Finally took my car to get the scratches removed from the sides (ta for that, DentMagic Bristol), and when I picked it up Saturday morning, they told me that a warning light had appeared and the steering was heavy.

And sure enough, power steering light has come on. And the thing turns like I'm sailing a damn supertanker, need to start turning 10mins before the turn.

Now, it's going in for a diagnostic at the Skoda garage Monday morning, for them to tell me what the fault is/might be. Been told it could either be a sensor (£140), pump (£400-500), or steering rack (£800). Though they didn't mention if it was anything to do with low fluid. Though checking the level is a bit hard with the battery in the way (not the greatest of design features, that).

Has anyone had any experiences with this or similar? I seriously doubt it's a sensor that's caused the steering to be heavy, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Car's only done 78k, 04 plate. And was fine on the Friday, just duff on the Saturday.

Just had the wifes X reg,with the same problem.Changed the Sensor, no joy.

It turned out to be the pump.£220 + Vat from GSF.They say they sell lots of them.

Its worth checking fuse no 3 on top of the Battery(red and black lead),If its blown most likely the pump has burned out.

It is by far the most unreliable car she`s ever had,but the most economical.Its a Tdi 1.9,and its always at the Garage.

If you want the old sensor to try on yours,you can have it.

Just had the wifes X reg,with the same problem.Changed the Sensor, no joy.

It turned out to be the pump.£220 + Vat from GSF.They say they sell lots of them.

Its worth checking fuse no 3 on top of the Battery(red and black lead),If its blown most likely the pump has burned out.

It is by far the most unreliable car she`s ever had,but the most economical.Its a Tdi 1.9,and its always at the Garage.

If you want the old sensor to try on yours,you can have it.

If he doesn't want it can i try it on mine, don't mind giving you beer money

i bought mine with the problem, guy i bought it off said it would sometimes kick in, since i've had it, it's never worked, don't fancy spending almost half of what i paid for the car on a pump though lol

First up you need the fault codes read off.

Secondly unlikely to be a sensor, the vRS has the later type with a seperate sensor and lead, never seen one of these fail.

Thirdly just recently I have replaced a few battery earth leads, a few have shown a high voltage drop along it meaning the battery voltage is poor and the PAS suffers as it is a high current draw.

Car's only done 78k, 04 plate. And was fine on the Friday, just duff on the Saturday.

My 2004vRS failed suddenly at around 60k - had a new rack fitted for around £600

Looks like I shall await what the Skoda dealer says the diagnostic calls up (the words "voodoo" and "magicks" spring to mind here for some reason... :)), and then maybe talk to a friendly mechanic I know and see what he'll charge to fix it, compared to main dealer.

Ta for the offer, Webley, but as it's going in tomorrow morning (surprised I was to get it in for Monday when I went in on Saturday, they must be quiet), I'll let them hunt the problem down and come back to me.

mine came back as (below) after a diagnostic check...

01309 - Power Steering Control Module (J500): No Communication

Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Power Steering not working

Possible Causes

Wiring/Connectors from/to Power Steering Control Module (J500) faulty/loose

Power Steering Control Module (J500) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Power Steering Control Module (J500)

Replace Power Steering Control Module (J500

Checked the fluid level earlier, all good...

Mines is a 1.4 16v on a Y plate!!

I bet it's the battery that's down, they have probably had the radio on and maybe the doors open draining the battery while it's been in the workshop.

Give the car a reasonable run to see if it corrects itself.

DB.

mine came back as (below) after a diagnostic check...

01309 - Power Steering Control Module (J500): No Communication

Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Power Steering not working

Possible Causes

Wiring/Connectors from/to Power Steering Control Module (J500) faulty/loose

Power Steering Control Module (J500) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Power Steering Control Module (J500)

Replace Power Steering Control Module (J500

Checked the fluid level earlier, all good...

Mines is a 1.4 16v on a Y plate!!

does sound like the pump to me, as my car is throwing up similar codes (2005 VRS), my mechanic says its a very common fault on these as he's done loads!

does sound like the pump to me, as my car is throwing up similar codes (2005 VRS), my mechanic says its a very common fault on these as he's done loads!

I hope not, don't want to be giving GSF £220 when crimbo and a crimbo holiday to the states coming up in 35 sleeps :wonder:

Looks like I need a new pump on my VRS-SE too. does anyone have a link to th GSF part? lowest I've found so far is £540 inc from bickertons for the part, and 150 inc from my mechanic to fit it. (the pumps getting power to it, and the fues are OK). I'm picking it up later today, so will ask about the sensor.

To reply to my original post (and keep anyone interested informed), it was the power steering pump that went.

All fixed now, thankfully. Though the credit card helped take the pain.

• Like 1

To reply to my original post (and keep anyone interested informed), it was the power steering pump that went.

All fixed now, thankfully. Though the credit card helped take the pain.

Good Oh! :thumbup: