Anyone into the Rock Scene of old?

swordstoke

After emptying the loft recently (before ceiling caved in) the many boxes of Vinyl (lp variety)were hastily opened to reveal many a good tune and memory!

Just felt the need to say...... What a brilliant album 'Rainbow Rising' was for a 13 year old lad to buy when it was first released!

Listening to it as I write this still blows me away!:thumbup:

Dio,Blackmore and Powell were formidable.

Then there was the time I watched Van Halen as a support to Black Sabbath at Victoria Hall stoke and wondered how on earth Toni Iommi was going to match Eddie for sheer axe wielding brilliance (he didnt but still is the Rif Miester).

Watched many a band at the Viccy- Ufo,Budgie,Priest,Scorpions,Motorhead,Hawkwind,Boston,Saxon,Samson to name but a few!

Then there was the Prog Rock scene... :)

Just listening to 'Buzzard' by keith Relfs band Armageddon another classic! :thumbup:

Never got into Rainbow, but Van Halen's "1984" is awesome and still love "Why can't this be love" - Eddie is deffo a Guitar hero :thumbup:

Haven't listened to Black Sabbath for a while but their "Black Sabbath" album was probably one of my favs - always had it racked up extra loud for the thunder storm :giggle:

TBH not really got to many live performances - but being in Cardiff for years, got into a lot of the Welsh Rock scene - saw " The Alarm" in the 80's and they were brill. ( a bit more tame though I guess than many of those you mention).

Did go through a bit of a rebellious stage - where I deviated from rock into stuff like "Killing Joke" - much to the dismay of the parents :giggle:

Never got into Rainbow, but Van Halen's "1984" is awesome and still love "Why can't this be love" - Eddie is deffo a Guitar hero :thumbup:

Haven't listened to Black Sabbath for a while but their "Black Sabbath" album was probably one of my favs - always had it racked up extra loud for the thunder storm :giggle:

TBH not really got to many live performances - but being in Cardiff for years, got into a lot of the Welsh Rock scene - saw " The Alarm" in the 80's and they were brill. ( a bit more tame though I guess than many of those you mention).

Did go through a bit of a rebellious stage - where I deviated from rock into stuff like "Killing Joke" - much to the dismay of the parents :giggle:

Impeccable taste Sarah!

Met Jazz Coleman after a gig in wolverhampton and he scared the hell outta me! lol

Budgie and Man are from the valley's and always put a good show on!:thumbup:

Later stuff for me too, Ozzy's early solo stuff with Randy Rhoads, Metallica, Slayer, Testament,

some glam stuff like Skid Row, W.a.s.p and Motley Crew too.

Didn't mind a bit of Goth either, Sisters of Mercy

and Fields Of The Nephilim........all on glorious cassette :DB)

Edited by Leeland

Been listening to a lot more Quo, ZZ TOP (Still love that in the car) as well as Queen (greatest hits II is also a good one for the car) and Chris Rea.

Must confess I am also liking Nickelback's (OK not exactly an old group) Dark Horse Album in the car. Have to be so careful when Burn it to the Ground comes on! :D

All top sounds!:thumbup:

Got loads of bands on the Ipod but you forget just how good Vinyl sounds!

Loads of Bootlegs Zepp@Trentham, Sabbath@Bingley and Zappa@Hammersmith are just some of the many with inner sleeve notes that just add to the experience.

Do try and listen to bands of the noughties and quite enjoy a few but find myself always returning to bands like Mountain,Family,Elp,Crimson and then off on a tangent to Tangerine Dream,Eloy,Elf,Ashra Temple,Gong and anything from the Canterbury scene.

So much to listen to and so little time...:D

So much to listen to and so little time...:D

You're not wrong Nee.....

or my favourite alternate version "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it." along with “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreamsâ€. ( Good old Willy Wonka).

On a more serious note, haven't heard any Budgie or Man ( I don't think) - will have to have a listen. :yes:

Love Martyn Joseph's Stuff - saw him many times when he was starting out, as he was local - not sure how you'd define his stuff - more folk I guess? Went with one of my mates to see him again last year, cos he's a fan too - Martyn's excellent live and tells some good yarns. :thumbup:

Edited by sarahvrs

TBH not really got to many live performances - but being in Cardiff for years, got into a lot of the Welsh Rock scene - saw " The Alarm" in the 80's and they were brill.

My Dad is Mike Peters guitar tech. Always nice to hear the Alarm getting a vote :thumbup:

Old Stuff - Black Sabbath, Budgie, Def Leopard, Rush, Deep Purple.

Newer stuff - Metallica, Pantera, Motley Crew, Ministry.

Ever Newer - Children of Bodom, Killswitch Engage, Stone Sour, Avenged Sevenfold, Alter Bridge.

Edited by VRS Goldie Jon

I have virtually all my 1970's / early 80's prog rock as MP3. as when CDs became very popular, I started to switch to those & have eventually moved to MP3's

I have retained :-

Yes, Genesis, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Marillion Floyd, a few ELP, King Crimson, Alice Cooper, Rick Wakeman to name but a few.

It all stated to go pear shaped post 82 / 83 as the 'Glam Rockers' cane about , bon jovi, T Rex, some of the later Rainbow it wasnt heavy or different, more like POP rock yeuchhhh emoticon-0149-no.gif.

Things started to change for the better, Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro, Nickelback, Lost Prophets, My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds to Mars. to name but a few

Shame a dew of the punk rock bands have mellowed / split, blink182, Green day.

Found some old Deep Purple vinyl in parents attic, if the old player still works got to have me a listen, miss all that crackling through the speakers and the needle jumpingemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Talking of Deep Purple, i met Jon Lord last week :)

Never had a clue who they were until then ! :D Shame on me !

My Dad is Mike Peters guitar tech. Always nice to hear the Alarm getting a vote :thumbup:

Wow - that's cool :thumbup:

Have huge respect for techs - don't think people realise how important their role is.

When I was at music college , spent a day out with the piano tech preparing a piano for a fairly big piano recital. Have to admit it made me realise what a major task these guys carry - I had to stand at the back of the hall and check it all sounded ok and in tune ( far too much responsibility for me!).

Hope Mike Peters is doing ok - know he has been unwell. Have alot of his and "The Alarm" music in the car, love " A new South Wales". :thumbup:

• Like 1

I have virtually all my 1970's / early 80's prog rock as MP3. as when CDs became very popular, I started to switch to those & have eventually moved to MP3's

I have retained :-

Yes, Genesis, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Marillion Floyd, a few ELP, King Crimson, Alice Cooper, Rick Wakeman to name but a few.

It all stated to go pear shaped post 82 / 83 as the 'Glam Rockers' cane about , bon jovi, T Rex, some of the later Rainbow it wasnt heavy or different, more like POP rock yeuchhhh emoticon-0149-no.gif.Things started to change for the better, Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro, Nickelback, Lost Prophets, My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds to Mars. to name but a few

Shame a dew of the punk rock bands have mellowed / split, blink182, Green day.

Sorry to be an old knowall but MB had shuffled off this mortal coil on his giant white swan some years prior to this !

Great thread all !!

Top 10 Rock tracks (in no particular order)on the Ipod/incar at the moment:-

1)UFO- Rock Bottom

2)Rush- Tom Sawyer

3)Scorpions- Im Going Mad

4)Armageddon- Buzzard

5)Yes- Soundchaser

6)Rainbow Stargazer

7)Black Sabbath- Hole In the Sky

8)Led Zepplin Black Dog

9)Fleetwood Mac The Green Manalishi

10)Pink Floyd- Set the controls for the heart of the sun.

Never ever get tired of playing the tracks above!:thumbup:

• Like 1

Off to see Maiden for the 5th time in July B)

Think the live gig scene is brilliant! :thumbup:

Booked to see Rush and Roger Waters next year!

Both should be monumental as Waters is doing 'The Wall' (last time I saw that was in 1980 Earlscourt) and Rush are doing a 3.5 hour gig to include 'Moving Pictures' entire album and favs from whole career! Cant wait!!!:thumbup:

Think the live gig scene is brilliant! :thumbup:

Booked to see Rush and Roger Waters next year!

Both should be monumental as Waters is doing 'The Wall' (last time I saw that was in 1980 Earlscourt) and Rush are doing a 3.5 hour gig to include 'Moving Pictures' entire album and favs from whole career! Cant wait!!!:thumbup:

Yeah I'm eternally jealous of my dad who saw Hendrix in 69!!