Corsa chav lad treading on thin ice

Mr Ree

It does seem that the new type of younger driver is a few more marbles short in the sensible department than many older drivers when they were young.

having heard what my dad, uncles and their mates got up to back in the day I'm not so sure - there's more cars on the roads and generally more people about so there's more accidents etc

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the same problem round where I am on, My street is off a dual carriagway (30MPH speed limit) and on that stretch there is a couple of roundabouts, you usually hear the Impreza's bombing down at the weekend at stupid o'clock, screaming round the roundabout and back down the other side of the carriageway, we occasionally get the local lad in his corsa with a dent in one side showboating as he comes into the street, my house is near to a corner and is always fun reversing off the drive when said local lad bombs round the corner without stopping (the corner is a junction where you can turn left or right and people just bomb round it, it's quite funny as you give him the evils when your cleaning the car and he bombs round. When we had the snow and ice we had him and another boy in a off roader trying to drift round the corner, only for him to belt the kerb and damage his alloy wheels.

Oh yes. forgot to mention that he managed to de-range the steering,suspension,and wreck a wheel and tyre on his mothers nearly new Nissan Note just a few days after he passed his test, prior to the purchase his now written off Pug 306.

Going too fast that time too. Obviously didn't learn.

I just hope this isn't going to end in a tradgedy.

Edited by Mr Ree

having heard what my dad, uncles and their mates got up to back in the day I'm not so sure - there's more cars on the roads and generally more people about so there's more accidents etc

I know; my dad used to rag old motorbikes around in the 40s and 50s. I think the major differences are that 60 years ago cars were a lot slower and as has been pointed out, not so many cars on the road.

It's also possible that with airbags, seatbelts and airbag, people aren't as concerned about crashing? "if I crash I've got all this stuff around me so I won't get hurt".

I used to charge about a bit too. I had a few near misses in my old mini, and the old 1979 Fiesta 1.1s was ragged a lot too. Funnily enough I got my wake up when I got stopped doing 90 on the M4. I'd been doing 110 a few minutes earlier. For some reason, that worked for me more than the near misses. Never did have a crash, nor did I ever get stopped again.

Edited by 2SkodaFamily

There is a very simple a legal answer to these people.

Write a statement to the Police, stating their reg number and the dates and times, and state that you are making a complaint under Section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002, stating that they are causing you alarm, distress and annoyance.

First Offence is a warning, second offence is removal of vehicle!! It has been used several times around here to stop the boy racers. One even lost a 5 year old Subaru.

Actual legislation to read:

59 Vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance

(1) Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which-

(a) contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and

(B) is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public,

he shall have the powers set out in subsection (3).

(2) A constable in uniform shall also have the powers set out in subsection (3) where he has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle has been used on any occasion in a manner falling within subsection (1).

(3) Those powers are-

(a) power, if the motor vehicle is moving, to order the person driving it to stop the vehicle;

(B) power to seize and remove the motor vehicle;

© power, for the purposes of exercising a power falling within paragraph (a) or (B), to enter any premises on which he has reasonable grounds for believing the motor vehicle to be;

(d) power to use reasonable force, if necessary, in the exercise of any power conferred by any of paragraphs to (a) to ©.

(4) A constable shall not seize a motor vehicle in the exercise of the powers conferred on him by this section unless-

(a) he has warned the person appearing to him to be the person whose use falls within subsection (1) that he will seize it, if that use continues or is repeated; and

(B) it appears to him that the use has continued or been repeated after the the warning.

(5) Subsection (4) does not require a warning to be given by a constable on any occasion on which he would otherwise have the power to seize a motor vehicle under this section if-

(a) the circumstances make it impracticable for him to give the warning;

(B) the constable has already on that occasion given a warning under that subsection in respect of any use of that motor vehicle or of another motor vehicle by that person or any other person;

© the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that such a warning has been given on that occasion otherwise than by him; or

(d) the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that the person whose use of that motor vehicle on that occasion would justify the seizure is a person to whom a warning under that subsection has been given (whether or not by that constable or in respect the same vehicle or the same or a similar use) on a previous occasion in the previous twelve months.

(6) A person who fails to comply with an order under subsection (3)(a) is guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(7) Subsection (3)© does not authorise entry into a private dwelling house.

(8) The powers conferred on a constable by this section shall be exercisable only at a time when regulations under section 60 are in force.

(9) In this section-

"driving" has the same meaning as in the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52);

"motor vehicle" means any mechanically propelled vehicle, whether or not it is intended or adapted for use on roads; and

"private dwelling house" does not include any garage or other structure occupied with the dwelling house, or any land appurtenant to the dwelling house.

Ignore the smilies, they come up with the cut and paste because of the numbering, they should be a letter b in brackets.

Edited by Llanigraham

I was a bit of a tearaway back in the late 60's....in my 105E! :D

Not as bad as some of my friends though, and the sight of one of them burying his Moggy Minor convertible through a brick wall at speed right in front of me, coupled with the deaths of a couple of lads I knew at school, soon sobered me up and slowed me down.

Pleased to say I've never had an accident that was deemed my fault...so far. :|

Edited by Mr Ree

There is a very simple a legal answer to these people.

Write a statement to the Police, stating their reg number and the dates and times, and state that you are making a complaint under Section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002, stating that they are causing you alarm, distress and annoyance.

First Offence is a warning, second offence is removal of vehicle!! It has been used several times around here to stop the boy racers. One even lost a 5 year old Subaru.

Actual legislation to read:

59 Vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance

(1) Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which-

(a) contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and

(B) is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public,

he shall have the powers set out in subsection (3).

(2) A constable in uniform shall also have the powers set out in subsection (3) where he has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle has been used on any occasion in a manner falling within subsection (1).

(3) Those powers are-

(a) power, if the motor vehicle is moving, to order the person driving it to stop the vehicle;

(B) power to seize and remove the motor vehicle;

© power, for the purposes of exercising a power falling within paragraph (a) or (B), to enter any premises on which he has reasonable grounds for believing the motor vehicle to be;

(d) power to use reasonable force, if necessary, in the exercise of any power conferred by any of paragraphs to (a) to ©.

(4) A constable shall not seize a motor vehicle in the exercise of the powers conferred on him by this section unless-

(a) he has warned the person appearing to him to be the person whose use falls within subsection (1) that he will seize it, if that use continues or is repeated; and

(B) it appears to him that the use has continued or been repeated after the the warning.

(5) Subsection (4) does not require a warning to be given by a constable on any occasion on which he would otherwise have the power to seize a motor vehicle under this section if-

(a) the circumstances make it impracticable for him to give the warning;

(B) the constable has already on that occasion given a warning under that subsection in respect of any use of that motor vehicle or of another motor vehicle by that person or any other person;

© the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that such a warning has been given on that occasion otherwise than by him; or

(d) the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that the person whose use of that motor vehicle on that occasion would justify the seizure is a person to whom a warning under that subsection has been given (whether or not by that constable or in respect the same vehicle or the same or a similar use) on a previous occasion in the previous twelve months.

(6) A person who fails to comply with an order under subsection (3)(a) is guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(7) Subsection (3)© does not authorise entry into a private dwelling house.

(8) The powers conferred on a constable by this section shall be exercisable only at a time when regulations under section 60 are in force.

(9) In this section-

"driving" has the same meaning as in the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52);

"motor vehicle" means any mechanically propelled vehicle, whether or not it is intended or adapted for use on roads; and

"private dwelling house" does not include any garage or other structure occupied with the dwelling house, or any land appurtenant to the dwelling house.

Ignore the smilies, they come up with the cut and paste because of the numbering, they should be a letter b in brackets.

I got a section 59 after going up a hill with a loud exhaust even tho he admitted i wasn't speeding :wonder: What i didn't get was that he never gave me any paper work to say i had a section 59?

My wife has a theory on this. For the last 20 years kids have been so mollycoddled and health and safety being what it is, we now have a generation of little darlings who can't evaluate risk on their own. They reach adulthood with no sense of danger, whereas previously Darwinism weeded some of the complete idiots out before they got their hands on a driving licence.

The schools are also partly to blame for their behavior. My office is based in a secondary school and the total lack of respect and discipline is disgusting. They are all wannabe gangsters who think that they are gods gift to everything....which includes driving once they reach 17. They are untouchable as the teachers are scared of them and scared of giving out discipline in case the kid phones childline.

I am only 28 and the difference between when i was at school and present day is like black and white. I can't believe how much lack of control they have lost of the last 10years. I wouldn't have dared talk back to my teacher...now they tell them to F off and all sorts. :no:

The schools are also partly to blame for their behavior. My office is based in a secondary school and the total lack of respect and discipline is disgusting. They are all wannabe gangsters who think that they are gods gift to everything....which includes driving once they CAN REACH THE PEDALS They are untouchable as the teachers are scared of them and scared of giving out discipline in case the kid phones childline.

I am only 28 and the difference between when i was at school and present day is like black and white. I can't believe how much lack of control they have lost of the last 10years. I wouldn't have dared talk back to my teacher...now they tell them to F off and all sorts. :no:

Now your post is worthy of a completely new thread on THAT subject!

DO NOT get me started! :devil:

Took the liberty of slightly altering your post btw. :smirk:

I am getting sick of people tarring every teenager with this attitude and behaviour.

IT IS NOT TRUE!!

It is only a very small minority that are like this, and we only know about them because they are noticeable and get publicity.

No-one thinks about the thousands of youths that are members of organisations from St John Ambulance to Army Cadets to Girl Guides. These kids do hours and hours of voluntary work invariably with no praise or thanks, but do we ever hear of it? Of course not, because good news is not news.

Its true about NOT ALL teens are like this, it seems to be confined to certain areas all around the country,

Mainly influenced by American african attitudes in films, tv programs & specific types of music, specifically those who are impressionable & have difficulty in relating to parents / authority.

The attitude of being a 'Captain Scarlet' ( some of you reading this will understand) probably does come from the over coddeling & Over Health & safety attitude today, I have also noticed that if something goes wrong, it is alwasy someone elses fault,

Its true about NOT ALL teens are like this, it seems to be confined to certain areas all around the country,

Mainly influenced by American african attitudes in films, tv programs & specific types of music, specifically those who are impressionable & have difficulty in relating to parents / authority.

The attitude of being a 'Captain Scarlet' ( some of you reading this will understand) probably does come from the over coddeling & Over Health & safety attitude today, I have also noticed that if something goes wrong, it is alwasy someone elses fault,

This is pronbalbly going a bit off subject but , I am not convinced by your argument. Through most of the 20th century youths have caused havoc. The casuals in the 80s, the punks in th 70s, the mods in the 60's, rockers in the 50s, the 40s were probably a bit different due to the war. I personally believe the real difference is down to a lack of fear of the punishments that are handed out. Prior to the Labour revolution punishment was to be feared for the majority of people. Prison was not nice there werent TV's in rooms, playstaions, xboxs etc and for many kids the thought of borstal ands such was something that always put into your mind cause havoc but remember there is a line that when you step over you can get F**ked. Now they aint bothered because the punishments are to soft. This relates to driving and general life.

This is of course just my personal opinion.

This is pronbalbly going a bit off subject but , I am not convinced by your argument. Through most of the 20th century youths have caused havoc. The casuals in the 80s, the punks in th 70s, the mods in the 60's, rockers in the 50s, the 40s were probably a bit different due to the war. I personally believe the real difference is down to a lack of fear of the punishments that are handed out. Prior to the Labour revolution punishment was to be feared for the majority of people. Prison was not nice there werent TV's in rooms, playstaions, xboxs etc and for many kids the thought of borstal ands such was something that always put into your mind cause havoc but remember there is a line that when you step over you can get F**ked. Now they aint bothered because the punishments are to soft. This relates to driving and general life.

This is of course just my personal opinion.

+1 and relating back to my post the lack of discipline starts and home and continues through school then as you say there is no punishment from the law either as such. You only need to watch motorway cops, traffic cops on the TV and you see this....The summary at the end....'the 13 year old in the stolen Cavalier was banned for driving for 3 years and fined 30p'...over the top i know but you get my drift. :p

I will also back up that this is not all youths but it is getting more and more everyday.

Edited by jrw

I shall say this again.

IT

IS

NOT

ALL

YOUTHS

It has always been a SMALL MINORITY who get the MAJORITY of publicity!

When will people realise that there are thousands of kids out there who cause no trouble, quietly get on with their lives, and who are equally pee'd off with this group who bring them the problems.

Edited by Llanigraham

As i and others have said:

"I will also back up that this is not all youths but it is getting more and more everyday"

Nobody was saying it was all youths.

I shall say this again.

IT

IS

NOT

ALL

YOUTHS

It has always been a SMALL MINORITY who get the MAJORITY of publicity!

When will people realise that there are thousands of kids out there who cause no trouble, quietly get on with their lives, and who are equally pee'd off with this group who bring them the problems.

Like me! :) Although I do like the levels of surprise when I am curtious, help someone or whatever (like stopping, and pushing others in the snow etc). I tend to find adults are just as bad - in supermarkets I can stand back to let 5-6 people through saying 'you're welcome' to each one, and nobody catches onto the sarcasm and thanks me. :dull:

Like me! :) Although I do like the levels of surprise when I am curtious, help someone or whatever (like stopping, and pushing others in the snow etc). I tend to find adults are just as bad - in supermarkets I can stand back to let 5-6 people through saying 'you're welcome' to each one, and nobody catches onto the sarcasm and thanks me. :dull:

lol - you have to be more obvious than that - i find 'I think Thank You is the phrase you are looking for' works well. They usually won't look at you and scuttle off all embarressed. :rofl:

That's quite a good idea - might try that! Although with the people round here, I imagine I'll get a black eye before I get a 'thank you'! emoticon-0106-crying.gif

I usually do it to 'older' people who look like they would tut at you etc if you didn't hold the door open for you muttering about 'the youth of today'. You will probably know the sort of people i am on about :D

Yeap - sounds just like my old D. head at school. Every assembely a lecture on manners, followed by hypocrisy and bad manners all the time after. :thumbdown:

Its true,what ever you do you always get some sort of sh**t from the general public,if its young or old.So just because their manners are shocking i always try and keep a level head and bite my lip (sometimes) :rofl:

Not really my forté that. If I wasn't branded as an waste product of society/sterotype by these people, I'd have no problem. I do the same with waving at those people on the roads who don't say thanks. Get the odd sheepish wave back sometimes. :giggle:

:rofl:

You sound like me, there was a bloke stuck in the snow up city one night, me and my bro went running over, the bloke looked well scared, then we give him a push and got him going.

As for the opening the door for someone, its amazing how many people will just walk straight past saying nothing!

Matt

People generally say thankyou when I hold a door open, but then I am 6`6", so they are probably too scared to be rude!!!

As for the "Not all youths" rant. Volunteer numbers have been falling for years, I used to work with a SJA cadet division, we were the only unit in the country (and possibly the world) who fielded a competition team with registered blind cadets.

Teenagers, like the rest of the population, mostly consist of sheep; if the 5% of truly BAD ones get away with something, 20-30% of the sheep will copy them.

I can already see certain people claiming adults are not sheep so.........

How many times have you been in a traffic jam on the motorway and seen someone use the hard shoulder to bypass the traffic and get to an off ramp??

And how many times have you seen 5-10 OTHER cars follow them; once they have seen the first car do it??

My favourite example was years ago, when they were changing the road layout on a big roundabout; the "old" road was closed, except of access to some shops, while it was resurfaced and connected to the "new" road as part of a dual carriageway system.

I was sat in a layby, waiting for a collection and watching, the first day the road layout was changed.

The first car to forget and go down the "old" road was followed by 40-50 cars, vans and lorries; who then all had to try and turn around and come back to the roundabout. No sooner had they all got out and taken the correct exit than another car made the mistake and ANOTHER 40-50 cars, vans and lorries followed.

I watched this happen about 5 times in the 30 minutes I was waiting.

I am 46, and one of the last generations who were taught to respect our elders, especially our teachers, if we did something we shouldnt and we got caught, we knew we would be in trouble; and it was unlikely to be a scolding!!!

Canings were done in front of the entire school, although a whack around the ear was usually applied "on the spot"; a pupil who hit a teacher was likely to end up getting punched back, twice as hard!!!

A lot of the problems today can be traced back to the start of the "Think of the Children" brigade and the obsession with "Health and Safety"; were were allowed to do experiments that were dangerous in science classes, we were allowed to run, play bulldog and conkers, ride a bike on the road and yes, sometimes we got hurt; but that is how you LEARN.

The last 20 years worth of teenagers have mostly never been hurt or had an accident of any kind before they climb into a car or onto a motorbike, they have no understanding of danger, so they act like tw@ts.

Re` stepping out.

Use a trolley or an old pushchair mate, far safer for you and you can push it into the road as you lunge backwards, almost guaranteeing a "hit" or a crash as they try to avoid it. I have been tempted myself, especially on the banked corner near my house; they come up/down it at over 70mph most nights (30mph zone).

We had 2 people injured when one took out a bus shelter only a week ago on a road near my workplace; details of the accident havent been published, but it is a wide gentle curve, so the car must have been travelling at over 60mph to lose control; and a fatal crash nearby was caused by a car doing over 110mph in a 30 zone.

A lot of it could easily be stopped by the Police if they could be bothered; there is NO WAY the Impreza's, Clio Sports and souped up chav wagons are properly insured. I know how much a clapped out Felicia costs for a teenage driver, so they are either driving without insurance, driving on a parents insurance with the parent listed as main driver, or driving on invalid "provisional license" insurance (aka a policy from "Quin")