High Oil Consumption?

Have rung the garage up,and am waiting for a call back tomoz,local garage looked at it today,couldn't see any visible leaks etc,but on inspection of exhaust pipes,black sooty residue was everywhere,phoned the local skoda main dealer and spoke to the chief mechanic,who,although cannot guarantee 100%,is as certain as can be that its piston rings,common problem with this engine,effecting vw golf,seat leon cupra and some audi a4 models

18 hours ago, Bexlee said:

It seems to me if you buy a 1.8 TSi pre-MY12, you need to replace rods, pistons, & chain tensioner to have a sound engine! Doesn’t seem right- though I guess there are plenty of owners who are lucky with it all.

I have a 2007 BZB block 1.8tsi and haven't had any of the above issues.  185,000km and it runs sweet as a nut.  It's a bit of a lottery.  

I’m glad to hear it! Thing is I had a MY05 Golf with 2.0 TDi 140 PD for 10 years- was a great car, but the porus cylinder head was an expensive fix. This turned out to be another known & regular engine problem. I wonder how much of a lottery it is sometimes with some production batches. & there’s no reason for a manufacturer to take any responsibility once the vehicles are outside their warranty period. I hope I’m lucky with my Scout’s MY13 2.0 TDi CR!!

10 hours ago, brad1.8T said:

I have a 2007 BZB block 1.8tsi and haven't had any of the above issues.  185,000km and it runs sweet as a nut.  It's a bit of a lottery.  

Be glad for BZB :cool: This is no lottery, all just about right information ...

Your 2007 1.8TSI (AUDI marks it as TFSI) engine code BZB engine family EA888 Stage1=Generation1 emision norm EU4 is completely different when compared with

5/2009 - 5/2011 1.8TSI (AUDI marks it as TFSI) engine code CDAA/CDAB engine family EA888 Stage2=Generation2 emision norm EU5, yet VAG tried to modify pistons+rings twice on

5/2011-10/2011 and 10/2011 till EOP with not that good results, so they have finally for fix purposes introduced 3-part oil control rings in 2015/2016 ...

59df6b5c284eb_OverviewofthedevelopmentstagesEA888.thumb.jpg.05a53533256d1ba1e0bc10a02f8f4baf.jpg

I trully believe it all has to do with NOx ... Yes, DI petrols are same trouble as diesels, I wonder when TSIgate starts ... :biggrin:

To fight NOx on petrol direct injection engines working lean with λ > 1 they must use EGR, here its internal version, which leads to massive soiling and load on engine oil. Just drilled (not slotted or assembled 3-part) tiny oil control rings of height just 1,5mm introduced in Stage2 engines could not cope long, especially on LongLife interval, get blocked and here you have the oil thirsty beast ...

EGR and therefore produced PM particles leaded to introduction of GPF/PPF/OPF filters on petrols ...

Allowed maximum oil consumption for these engines per VAG is 0,5l per 1000km/621miles, but already this is bad ...

Edited by rayx
  • Like 1

Have spoken again to skoda to see the cost of doing an oil compression test,only to be told that with the amount of oil I have put in,its not something they would do,basically its a new engine needed,so after having the car a month,and its on finance,an engine with 42k on it,is deemed knackered,im still using it at the mo,I have no choice,and bar the oil,it runs sweet as a nut,garage I bought it off gave the mandatory 3 month warranty,but as im using it as a taxi,the warranty is basically null and void,any idea of the next step,will skoda contribute,or am I up a **** creek without a paddle

10 hours ago, rayx said:

Be glad for BZB :cool: This is no lottery, all just about right information ...

Your 2007 1.8TSI (AUDI marks it as TFSI) engine code BZB engine family EA888 Stage1=Generation1 emision norm EU4 is completely different when compared with

5/2009 - 5/2011 1.8TSI (AUDI marks it as TFSI) engine code CDAA/CDAB engine family EA888 Stage2=Generation2 emision norm EU5, yet VAG tried to modify pistons+rings twice on

5/2011-10/2011 and 10/2011 till EOP with not that good results, so they have finally for fix purposes introduced 3-part oil control rings in 2015/2016 ...

I trully believe it all has to do with NOx ... Yes, DI petrols are same trouble as diesels, I wonder when TSIgate starts ... :biggrin:

To fight NOx on petrol direct injection engines working lean with λ > 1 they must use EGR, here its internal version, which leads to massive soiling and load on engine oil. Just drilled (not slotted or assembled 3-part) tiny oil control rings of height just 1,5mm introduced in Stage2 engines could not cope long, especially on LongLife interval, get blocked and here you have the oil thirsty beast ...

EGR and therefore produced PM particles leaded to introduction of GPF/PPF/OPF filters on petrols ...

Allowed maximum oil consumption for these engines per VAG is 0,5l per 1000km/621miles, but already this is bad ...

Not all BZBs have been great but I can see your point.

I think mine has been driven under ideal conditions and had some mods that help longevity too:

1) From new to Dec 2016 it was 80% motorway running and not many short trips.

2) Fixed interval service until Dec 2016 - oil changed every 15,000km (7-8 months) and these days every 12 months but I do <10,000km/pa.

3) Have run a Forge catch can, Golf R Intercooler & GFB DV+  since ~140,000km.

Vrslad, 

Is that the Terms & Conditions in the Warranty the seller gave you.   No Business, Commercial, Taxi, Courier work, 

'We can sell you are car not fit for purpose and unless of private use you are stuffed'. 

Dont think so.

Car not fit for purpose, they did not know known fault, but still, not fit for purpose, 3 month warranty....

Did you tell them, i am buying to use as a Taxi and you were told, there should be a 3 month warranty but not for your use?

Edited by Offski

14 minutes ago, Vrslad said:

Have spoken again to skoda to see the cost of doing an oil compression test,only to be told that with the amount of oil I have put in,its not something they would do,basically its a new engine needed,so after having the car a month,and its on finance,an engine with 42k on it,is deemed knackered,im still using it at the mo,I have no choice,and bar the oil,it runs sweet as a nut,garage I bought it off gave the mandatory 3 month warranty,but as im using it as a taxi,the warranty is basically null and void,any idea of the next step,will skoda contribute,or am I up a **** creek without a paddle

if you haven't got the cash or can't afford to have the car off the road then I'd start running 10w-40 and possibly add some Moreys or Lucas oil additive (engine honey).

You haven't said what brand / viscosity oil you are using, have you?

• Like 1

You are as well to start topping up then with 5w 40 Full Synthetic,  so that is to VW502 00 which is fine with Fixed Service intervals and VW Engine excessive oil users.

Does no harm, does good sometimes, maybe just not with engines using oil as much as yours is.

This is how Oil Consumption Tests were being done. 

& how they used to be done.  Only real difference from you filling up and seeing your oil drop was the New Oil & Filter was used and weighed.

And as you see with the invoice, the Technician never knew the weight of a litre of engine oil, or the weight of 3.6 litres....

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

post-86161-0-54740300-1365682049.jpg

post-86161-0-49942900-1365682152.jpg

Edited by Offski

Spoke to skoda,basically nothing will sort the oil issue out,apart from a new engine,so I asked the question that as long as the oil is checked regularly,and topped up accordingly,will the engine be ok,and without confirming 100%,they said it should be fine,so have now found a local supplier of oil,and if I buy 20l a time it equates to roughly £3.50 a litre,not ideal I know,but thats the way it is,skoda will not replace engine as the oil consumption is well within the parameters set for the car,thank you all for the help,much appreciated

Unfortunately. It will fail sooner rather than later. I don't share their not quite 100% assurance.

The catalytic converter will be soiled, valve seats probably gunked, piston crown carbon build up leads to hot spots and burnt valves, bore will eventually score and conpression affected.  Those will eventually lead to total failure.  

I can't see it is within even skodas oil usage specs. Did they do an oil consumption test? 

Not that id expect any Skoda contribution anyway...they are not known for their generosity over these design issues...per other threads.

• Like 2

Veslad,   Who did you speak to @ Skoda,

some Engineer in the Czech Republic or some Technician or An-other at a Skoda Dealership?

Get that in writing with their name, job description, signature and ask them their qualifications. 

The engine is gubbed, but then Skoda / VW know what the fundamental design, manufacturing, material, component and quality control failings were.

12 hours ago, Vrslad said:

Spoke to skoda,basically nothing will sort the oil issue out,apart from a new engine

Well, they are truly masters of car service ... We call such sort of "professionals" as changers instead of repairmen.

Have you seen this or this? (Yes, it´s CDAA 1.8 TSI, but your 2.0TSI CCZA is same family and same issue with the same piston rings ...)

Many other sources here or on the web, the whole world must live with what AUDI/VW genius invented and produced ...

If you still can return the car to the seller, even if you could lose few £, that will be the best and cheapest way you could do :cool:

You say you fill 1litre oil per 750 or 850miles? This is well over the VAG limit, which is only up to 0,5litre per 621miles ...

See how ends up the main catalyst on CDAA in 180kkm with excessive oil consumption, the precatalyst just behind turbo is surely much worse ...

27695AD6-A5D3-4784-B0DA-9E67FB1F749F.jpe 3DFEF561-1F08-4F8B-8648-BBAB0C3D780A.jpe

Edited by rayx
  • Like 1