Polo Wiper Mod finally done.

grr666

I was lucky enough to source the arm, blade and pre modified cap

for the bargain price of £20 from Monsieur Sunroof. (Cheers Phil ;) )

"Great!" thought I, "Cheap mod with not too much expense"

After a long painful week of trying. Using many varied attempts, half a can of WD40 and all the persuasion I dared

bearing in mind the spline comes through the glass it's finally on.

It's also worth mentioning that I have already done this mod to Mrs Grr's Fabia so I have experience of this job.

Her wiper arm came off fairly easily TBH, I honestly thought this job would be a breeze.

I finally gave up and ordered a wiper arm puller from the bay of E, spending a further 11odd quid.

Like this one 79390318.jpg

Heres the item for anybody considering buying one

(this puller was considerably more expensive else where. ;) )

It arrived yesterday while I was at work so I picked it up from the sorting office on the way to work today and

couldn't wait to use it to remove the offending stubborn arm when I got there.

I attached the puller and started to twist the top and after a bit of resistance. Pop! Off came the arm. Wahey!!!

My jubilance was short lived.... :dull:

The tip of the spline which houses the ball bearing looking jet for the rear washer was stuck in the puller.

With a little tug I was horrified to see that the jet had come out completely remaining in the puller. :o :o :o

Upon closer inspection I saw that the tip if the spline/washer asssembly is plastic and the puller had crushed it

into the tip of the puller. I pulled it away from the puller to discover it was mangled. Not cool... :no:

Mild panic set in...

I was concerned that it was an integral part of the motor and that I'd have to stump up an arm and a leg to replace

the whole assembly. What's worse, it was 7am and I couldn't call a dealer for a couple of hours so I had ample time

to beat myself up over my stupidity. At 9am sharp... :D A call to the good people at Trans City Skoda in Walthamstow

revealed that it was a replaceable part and I now have one on order for £6 ish.

They also offered to post it to me which saved me a drive into Walthamstow. Also, parking at that particular

main dealer is a nightmare. I always have to come out and move my car at least once every single time I go there.

I was amazed that this tiny little piece of plastic was so expensive considering how much smaller it is than a

replacement front fan washer nozzle. (I have also replaced one of those before now which was under £2.)

I suppose I should be grateful I don't have to pay more but still, this thing is tiny.

Of course, I now see that I should have pulled it out first before using the puller but at a glance I honestly believed

it was metal like the rest of the spline. If I'd pulled out the tip first, then it would have worked a treat.

So.... A cautionary tale for anybody considering using a wiper arm puller on a Fabia rear wiper arm.

Pull the tip out first!!! So far this mod has cost me £37 :rofl:

Well done mate. Mine took a bit of wd and a lot of wiggling and popped off. Wheres the photos?

I was using soooo much pressure on it the whole assembly was creaking, but nooooo shiftee. Soddding thing!

Pics to follow once I've washed the car again :D

A rag to protect the glass, A large flat blade screwdriver to lever the old arm off. And a large pair of cojones would have done it!

That's how I got Mrs Grrs off when I did this before. Wouldn't have it this time. :no:

And all my spare cojones are being used on my house sale being on a knife edge yet again.

I'm a bit highly strung at the moment. This house selling lark is a royal pain in the arris!!

Me and the Mrs have been living in different cities since May and it's driving me round the bend.

Just want to sell up and go now. Its making me feel tired. :(

A rag to protect the glass, A large flat blade screwdriver to lever the old arm off. And a large pair of cojones would have done it!

doesnt always work like that though does it. i used various sources of lubricant to try and make it shift but it didnt fancy it, in the end, the junior hack saw was my friend and i just hacked the f**ker off, could do with it now though lol, anybody have any idea how much the whole arm is that connects to the threaded peice that comes through the hole in the glass?

Cheers

That's how I got Mrs Grrs off when I did this before. Wouldn't have it this time. :no:

And all my spare cojones are being used on my house sale being on a knife edge yet again.

I'm a bit highly strung at the moment. This house selling lark is a royal pain in the arris!!

Me and the Mrs have been living in different cities since May and it's driving me round the bend.

Just want to sell up and go now. Its making me feel tired. :(

Again! you wanna stick it on Ebay mate :giggle:

My other halfs step dad ended up renting his old house out as it never sold

I just did one for my relation ! his was the same stuck sloid and no amout of leverage with a screwdriver would do. I looked at the spindle and saw the plastic jet assemble and whipped out the dremmel with a small cutting bit which went through the arm like a rip saw through swiss cheese and took all of 3mins.

Yes they can be little beggers to get off ranging from tight and a quick pull to wont budge no matter what, once the dremmel cut through the pressure was released and it came away a piece of cake.

Edited by kernowVRs

Thing is I didn't want to destroy the original arm.

I have a mate with an Ibiza and I understand the Fabia arm is considered

an upgrade on those.

Hoping to recoup some of my losses, particularly as now I have 2 unused fabia arms. ;)

Thing is I didn't want to destroy the original arm.

I have a mate with an Ibiza and I understand the Fabia arm is considered

an upgrade on those.

Hoping to recoup some of my losses, particularly as now I have 2 unused fabia arms. ;)

I never had to worry about the original arm as someone had been there before me and a bit of pull/heave/grrr and all I was presented with to remove was the splined boss, the pivot/arm/spring were gone B)

Rear washer fully functional again. :thumbup:

Replacement spraying jet came on Saturday and

was fitted immediately.

My reasons for the mod were mostly because

the old one looked grey on the car due to 6 summers and 6 winters

worth of climate punishment. It needed loads of trim restorer on it to make it look black again.

The as new arm etc that I got from Phil is much better looking in my opinion.

and of course, the component itself is still very Black as it's nearly new :thumbup:

When I did the other halfs car a year or so ago it took ten minutes

from start to finish. A very easy job really. It's like mine was welded on in comparison. :D

I also think it's a cleaner and slightly more modern look. After doing Mrs Grrs car.

whenever I saw her rear screen I couldn't help but think " I want one of those on mine. "

We both have Bosch aeros on the front and I think the polo rear wiper completes the look.

The polo wiper is about an inch and a half shorter than the standard arm so obviously

clears less of the screen but it's definitely quieter in use than the OE part.

For anyone who is having problems with their rear washer jet especially at this time of year.

The replacement part number is 3B9955985A ( £5.13 +VAT )

To remove it just pull it straight out with a pair of pliers. It just pushes back in,

( Jet pointing towards the 12 oclock position btw.)

I had to gently tap my new one in the last 5mm with the handle of a screwdriver.

It's a pretty snug fit, and my fingers were bl00dy freezing.