Continental Winter Contact TS830

I've just recieved a quote from Bush tyres for 4 steel wheels and some winter tyres...A grand :o :o :o :o :o Think i'll just not bother driving the car. Can't believe how much prices are jumping up.

That's crazy. I got 4 winter tyres + Skoda steel wheels + trims fitted for £650 on Monday by my Skoda dealer. And they are cleaning and storing my alloys for me.

If I hadn't dithered about and had got them on a few weeks earlier, I could have got them for less as they had to change supplier for the tyres to get any. As it was I got their last set.

Edited by pixor

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much are the steels from Skoda if you dont mind me asking.

Johnny

most dealers quote 55 + VAT per wheel, I managed to blag a 10% discount on an order of 4, so I think mine came to £231, plus 365ish for the contis, so in total just shy of £600 for the lot including fitting...

why not get some alloys from ebay. i just got a set of seat alloys to go with my ts380s :thumbup:

I know that alloys would have been cheaper and looked better, but I specifically wanted to have new wheels supplied by Skoda, to protect myself from any insurance complications (my vRS is only 4 weeks old). If my car was a few years old, I'd definitely take the alloy route (or even steelies that were compatible, but not necessarily from Skoda)

Got some of these Conti Wintercontact TS830 tyres and went down to 195/65/15s on steel rims which not only made it cheaper, but also as pressure=force/area you will have more pressure acting down on the road due to the smaller width (which is obviously a good thing in snow). Obviously they don't look quite as nice as 16s but you don't fit winter steels for looks!! As mentioned elsewhere, these tyres were 2nd in the Autobild 2010 test winter tyre test http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Auto-Bild-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm . I've been really impressed with them so far, just need something similar for the Jag now, as it's a bit exciting when the snow starts to fall! :S

Guys, I've looked on the Kwik-Fit website and can't see these Conintental Winter Contact TS830's... I've found them via mytyres but at £119 a corner! (incl. fitting) Surely they can't have run out in a day?!

Hi Guys

I checked the kwik fit site and the tyres are £81.65 each. Spoke to my local kwik fit and they said if I book online, they will get some ordered for me for tomorrow (saturday). I went to book online but when you add the 4 tyres and go to the next page, there is £9.50 per wheel for valve and balance added automatically - an extra £38.

I phone the guy back at my local kwik fit and he said to print the page without buying online and as they were new wheels with new valves (still in box so no need to take them off car), if I take the page for his records, he would fit and balance at no extra cost - £326.60 all in.

I appreciate the guy doing this and will be getting the tyres tomorrow. I know kwik fit normaily doesn't get the best reviews but I have dealt with my local branch before and they have always been ok.

I will fit the wheels over the weekend myself and see how we get on with them in the 9 inches of snow we have here - 5 miles up the road they have around 20 inches. If the tyres are as good as the reviews, I may get another set for my astravan (it is really crap in the bad weather with bridgestones on).

If mytyres are reaming people at £119 per corner when kwik fit are doing the same tyres next day for £81.65 per corner then I hope mytyres get left with their stock.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, as I live just round the corner from you, I can tell you you'll probably think it's the best money you've spent on car extras!

Had to take the back roads home as the M9 westbound was shut, and as long as I had ground clearance, it was plain sailing.

Winter price abuse! Buy winter tires on summer and summer one on winter always :)

I agree 100%. As all the snow is here these tyre companies are bumping up the prices of winter tyres as they know a lot of people will buy them. It's the same with Christmas shoping, all the prices go up because lots of people will go out and spend lots of money.

Had to take the back roads home as the M9 westbound was shut, and as long as I had ground clearance, it was plain sailing.

I've just put on some 830's today and they feel to have made an enormous difference - I can feel resistance through the steering wheel! The car's felt really sure-footed too - it made it up one hill without complaining, leaving another car that was behind us, at the bottom. The one thing that's bugging - and probably the only thing - is the lack of ground clearance!

Yep, I finally understand the attractions of a 4x4 now - one of them being that you can let all the normal cars scrape their under trays away and drive over the top of the ridges :smirk:

I quite fancy a Yeti for my next car :thumbup:

I know that alloys would have been cheaper and looked better, but I specifically wanted to have new wheels supplied by Skoda, to protect myself from any insurance complications (my vRS is only 4 weeks old). If my car was a few years old, I'd definitely take the alloy route (or even steelies that were compatible, but not necessarily from Skoda)

good point. a few photos from my hunt for snow today, love these t830 the stopping power on snow is crazy

IMG_7483.jpg

IMG_7492.jpg

IMG_7487.jpg

IMG_7491.jpg

Edited by F1 CJE UK

Managed to get a set of these from Kwik Fit Burnley branch today - unbelievable difference!

I had to dig my way off my drive to get there as the car was wheelspinning and sliding all over the place, on the way home went for a drive further up the hill from my house (to give you an idea of how steep it is, I live near a dry ski slope that uses the natural slope of the hill!) and the TS830s just drove up as if it was dry!

After being in a 4x4 last year with AT Yokohama M&S tyres on the grip seems comparable. I couldn't get anywhere with the Michelin Primacy HP tyres on earlier this week.

Annoyed that I didn't order them online Thursday night as the 205/55R16's disappeared from the website sometime on Friday before I got home from work. Worth ringing round the branches though as they do have some in stock. The Burnley Branch had at least 8 people in for Conti Winters in the hour I was there - talk about doing a roaring trade! Cost me about £40 more than the online price and I had them filled with Nitrogen for the extra £4.

I would recommend Winters to anyone who hasn't had them before - the grip is awesome and there is weight to the steering again when on snow/ice/slush.

Got my TS830s fitted at the local Kwik Fit yesterday. It's like night and day and has restored my confidence in the car during the snow. I would recommend it to everyone. The guy at the counter said there were about 3,000 left in stock, just about the only one they could still get. Looks like that may have changed now.

The only downside was discovering this morning when I looked in the boot that Kwik Fit had given me just 3 of my old tyres back! Fortunately they were able to find the missing tyre but I would suggest that you always count how many tyres have been put in your boot and back seat.

Hi Guys

I checked the kwik fit site and the tyres are £81.65 each. Spoke to my local kwik fit and they said if I book online, they will get some ordered for me for tomorrow (saturday). I went to book online but when you add the 4 tyres and go to the next page, there is £9.50 per wheel for valve and balance added automatically - an extra £38.

I phone the guy back at my local kwik fit and he said to print the page without buying online and as they were new wheels with new valves (still in box so no need to take them off car), if I take the page for his records, he would fit and balance at no extra cost - £326.60 all in.

I appreciate the guy doing this and will be getting the tyres tomorrow. I know kwik fit normaily doesn't get the best reviews but I have dealt with my local branch before and they have always been ok.

I will fit the wheels over the weekend myself and see how we get on with them in the 9 inches of snow we have here - 5 miles up the road they have around 20 inches. If the tyres are as good as the reviews, I may get another set for my astravan (it is really crap in the bad weather with bridgestones on).

If mytyres are reaming people at £119 per corner when kwik fit are doing the same tyres next day for £81.65 per corner then I hope mytyres get left with their stock.

Cheers

Dave

Looking for tyres for wife's MG- 215/40 16s, and mytyresare wanting £671 for 4 toyo snowprox. which are typically £84 per tyre. Greedy barstewards

Looking for tyres for wife's MG- 215/40 16s, and mytyresare wanting £671 for 4 toyo snowprox. which are typically £84 per tyre. Greedy barstewards

Hi All

Got the full set of Conti's on the new loose wheels at Kwik Fit yesterday - fitted them to the vrs myself last night - al in £244.96 - a tremendous deal.

Had a wee run about in them last night and it was hard to beleive there was any snow. They are so good, I took my astravan round this morning and got a full set put on that as well - as they had to take the wheels off, fit, balance etc, they had to charge me the valve and balance charge on top but still did the tyres for the discounted price. Total cost was 282.96 - still a tremendous deal.

Try your local Kwik Fit first - if they have the tyres in stock, you can get the better deal by paying online and then going in.

The guys at my local place had no stock when I called on Friday but got them ordered and in for me on Saturday - excellent service.

Cheers

Dave

Well 1st thoughts are good. They feel like a big slick on a dry road compared to the Michelin summers.

I did a very non scientific brake/acceleration test down a snowy lane and damn impressive. Definitley more grip, it's harder to get back end out!!!

Hi All

Got the full set of Conti's on the new loose wheels at Kwik Fit yesterday - fitted them to the vrs myself last night - al in £244.96 - a tremendous deal.

Had a wee run about in them last night and it was hard to beleive there was any snow. They are so good, I took my astravan round this morning and got a full set put on that as well - as they had to take the wheels off, fit, balance etc, they had to charge me the valve and balance charge on top but still did the tyres for the discounted price. Total cost was 282.96 - still a tremendous deal.

Try your local Kwik Fit first - if they have the tyres in stock, you can get the better deal by paying online and then going in.

The guys at my local place had no stock when I called on Friday but got them ordered and in for me on Saturday - excellent service.

Cheers

Dave

Contacted my local branch of Kwik-Fit on Tuesday re getting some winter tyres.

They told me that that they were out of stock but would be getting some in in the next day or so and that they would be £394 for four (down from over £520) so I asked them to get me some.

I then came across this thread when I was looking for what wheels to get off eBay (I order from my dealer in the end).

So when Kwik-Fit rang me back this morning I quoted the prices that I had found on this thread - they wanted to know which branches had supplied and what speed rating they were (I presumed that they were Continental Winter Contact TS830 size 205/55R16 91H) but was unsure as I could find the rating quoted. The chap started to get a bit annoyed with me as he had been on the phone over 7 minutes and I couldn't give him a definitive price (as different prices had been quoted on the thread), he said that he would need to see an invoice for the price paid and not what people had claimed to have paid.

I then quoted what FatblokeVRS had said about ordering online and then popping round to have them fitted.

The problem now is that I can't find them online although they have them in stock locally.

Edited by spider47

The lowest 205/55R16 91H got to online was £81.64 or something like that, plus £9.50 a wheel valve and balance.

Basically, £91 a corner.

So, £364 a set.

They disappeared off of their website sometime last Friday, I rang the Blackburn branch first thing Saturday morning and they had plenty in stock. It cost me £391 fitted including Nitrogen. Interestingly that was cheaper than the price on the phone because they only charged for disposal of 2 tyres but I paid the extra for the Nitrogen.

I think £244 for a set of 205/55R16 91H is a typo as that is £71 a tyre including valve and balance!

Still seems a bit fishy that according to the web site they are out of stock, yet the branch had plenty in stock!

I am awaiting a response from KwikFit on this from their online feedback as to why I could not order online on Friday at the price I saw Thursday evening when the branch had them in stock. It cost me an extra £10 a corner in real terms.

The lowest 205/55R16 91H got to online was £81.64 or something like that, plus £9.50 a wheel valve and balance.

Basically, £91 a corner.

So, £364 a set.

They disappeared off of their website sometime last Friday, I rang the Blackburn branch first thing Saturday morning and they had plenty in stock. It cost me £391 fitted including Nitrogen. Interestingly that was cheaper than the price on the phone because they only charged for disposal of 2 tyres but I paid the extra for the Nitrogen.

I think £244 for a set of 205/55R16 91H is a typo as that is £71 a tyre including valve and balance!

Still seems a bit fishy that according to the web site they are out of stock, yet the branch had plenty in stock!

I am awaiting a response from KwikFit on this from their online feedback as to why I could not order online on Friday at the price I saw Thursday evening when the branch had them in stock. It cost me an extra £10 a corner in real terms.

Having just re-read the post their is no mention of the tyre size for £244 all in!

Having just re-read the post their is no mention of the tyre size for £244 all in!

Hi

Continental Winter Contact TS830 size 205/55R16 91H - the only winter tyres listed for that size.

Cheers

Dave

Got 4 x Winter Contact TS830's , 205/55/16 HR 91's fitted at Kwik Fit for £394 yesterday, they have stock but it's very depleted apparently so best phone and order before. Seen these going for over £150 on the net, unfitted.

Edited by modra_vrs