Pulling to the left.

GavrsIrl

Hi all,

I know there are a good few variables, most likely culpriate being the tracking but...

My 0cty vRS is pulling slightly to the left.

Now Im sure its not just the road camber, and it is not the tracking as I just got new boots and the tracking is spot spot on.

Now Im just wondering what else could it be, and how to test if anyone knows/has the patience to type it.

My thinking is that it could be a wheel bearing????

Also, whilst it was getting tracked, the rear left was out very very slightly, but nothing could be done about it..

Thoughts?

Thanks, Gavin

check your tyre pressure mine was 5psi down on one side and pulled to one side.

Agreed. The only reason I knew I had a slow puncture was because it kept pulling to one side - especially in reverse, peculiarly. Perhaps the normal tendency for it to auto-centre itself had an effect going forwards but not backwards.

EDIT: This was on a front tyre. I don't know whether it would have so much of an effect on a rear.

Edited by will_

Make sure your track rod ends are in good condition with no play. One of mine went and the car felt horrible and I got a sense of wandering steering. Replaced it and its fine. I cant see how your rear left would be out? Maybe you should have it tracked somewhere else for a second opinion?

I cant see how your rear left would be out? Maybe you should have it tracked somewhere else for a second opinion?

Bent beam, trailing arm, or beam mount.

I'd agree about a second opinion, but ask them to check the rear thrust axis, and if they fudge about doing that or don't understand the question, leave! They're not competent to check the suspect value.

mine pulls to the left and i've done:

tracking,

replaced both front the lower arms and ball joints,

both front wheel bearings,

both frop links

new pads and discs,

calipers checked

and tyre pressures done.

not a lot more that can be done lol

Edited by furry

I'd agree about a second opinion, but ask them to check the rear thrust axis, and if they fudge about doing that or don't understand the question, leave! They're not competent to check the suspect value.

This is the thing, I got it tracked when I first go it. Still pulled to the left so I suspected the uneven tyre ware was at foul.

Brought it to the place to get my tyres done, a place I have used on quite a few cars and trust, and it still pulls.

The rear left alloy had a slight buckle in it too :(

I am sorry but I do not know what the rear thrust axis is? But as I said, the gent when tracking said the rear left was out slightly and there was nothing he could do about it.

Silly question but have you tried driving on the other side of the road? Mine pulls to the camber, a little bit.

Not silly, very valid, but unfortunatly checked that. Not much of a difference on the other side (when safe :p).

Thanks for the replies. I have already checked presures, there is no difference....

I was told that all cars should pull slightly to the left. This is suppose to be a safety feature in case you fall asleep you not going to wonder into on coming traffic.

Hmm. Sounds like a yarn spun by a garage unable to fix the problem of a car pulling to the left!

Gav, imagine that your car has actual axles rather than IFS and a rear torsion beam. The "thrust axis" is the inclination of this virtual axle to a line normal to the longitudinal axis of the car.

Others ref "they all to pull to the left" - I've been told this too, by a variety of sources, none of whom were working on my suspension! One of them may (honestly can't remember if he's a source on this point or not) be a BSc in Automotive Engineering, so I'd expect that level of qualification to back up "well they would say that cos they can't fix it" comments.

Hi all,

I know there are a good few variables, most likely culpriate being the tracking but...

Now Im sure its not just the road camber, and it is not the tracking as I just got new boots and the tracking is spot spot on.

Now Im just wondering what else could it be, and how to test if anyone knows/has the patience to type it.

Also, whilst it was getting tracked, the rear left was out very very slightly, but nothing could be done about it..

Thoughts?

Thanks, Gavin

i had the same problem and finaly was sorted when i replaced th tyres.

Gav, imagine that your car has actual axles rather than IFS and a rear torsion beam. The "thrust axis" is the inclination of this virtual axle to a line normal to the longitudinal axis of the car.

Others ref "they all to pull to the left" - I've been told this too, by a variety of sources, none of whom were working on my suspension! One of them may (honestly can't remember if he's a source on this point or not) be a BSc in Automotive Engineering, so I'd expect that level of qualification to back up "well they would say that cos they can't fix it" comments.

Thanks Ken,

Ill checke the bearings and the likes at the weekend and if all is ok back I go to them!

Cheers lads

The bad pull to the left I had was almost entirely down to an uneven Nankang tyre, now gone. When I had it aligned they spotted that the rear axle wasn't entirely straight (the thrust axis was fractionally left of centre) but that should theoretically pull it to the right. Seems to be a lot better now regardless :) They also noted that the caster was equally out on both fronts by a fair degree, haven't looked at that yet.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, a quick update.

After the snow and a few potholes my tracking got worse and the pull to the left became worse.

Brought it to the only place that was open, Advance Pitstop (Kwick fit type place in Ireland).

They tracked it and said the same thing, the rear alignment is out.....

So jacked up the car and checked the bearings ect.

There was a little little bit of play when shaking the wheel at the 3&9 position, dont really know if this was just down to the steering or if there is some sort of wear (sorry bout the co*k-eyed explanations)

Also visially checked the bushes and CV boots ect, as far as I can see all is well..... except I am only new to the whole DIY mechanic thang so should I just suck it up and have the car looked at by a garage?

Also whilst I had my head under the car I noticed that there is a bit of oil on my gear box on the passenger side where the drive shaft comes from.. a leak??? How bad is this or does it depend on how bad the leak is?

Thanks

Gavin

The leak you mention sounds like the seal on the diff where the inner CV joint meets up. I've just had mine both done, plus a CV boot and a new arb fitted and the bill was £120 I bought the r32 arb but the rest of the parts were included so I don't think it will be more than £50 for the seals.

My car also pulls to the left and my mk2 octy did too plus my wifes fabia so I think it may be "as designed"

Well, a quick update.

After the snow and a few potholes my tracking got worse and the pull to the left became worse.

Brought it to the only place that was open, Advance Pitstop (Kwick fit type place in Ireland).

They tracked it and said the same thing, the rear alignment is out.....

So jacked up the car and checked the bearings ect.

There was a little little bit of play when shaking the wheel at the 3&9 position, dont really know if this was just down to the steering or if there is some sort of wear (sorry bout the co*k-eyed explanations)

Also visially checked the bushes and CV boots ect, as far as I can see all is well..... except I am only new to the whole DIY mechanic thang so should I just suck it up and have the car looked at by a garage?

Also whilst I had my head under the car I noticed that there is a bit of oil on my gear box on the passenger side where the drive shaft comes from.. a leak??? How bad is this or does it depend on how bad the leak is?

Thanks

Gavin

The leak you mention sounds like the seal on the diff where the inner CV joint meets up. I've just had mine both done, plus a CV boot and a new arb fitted and the bill was £120 I bought the r32 arb but the rest of the parts were included so I don't think it will be more than £50 for the seals.

My car also pulls to the left and my mk2 octy did too plus my wifes fabia so I think it may be "as designed"

Cheers, Ill just keep checking the tyre wear and live with it so.

As for the leak, ill have that checked out.

Hi all,

Thoughts?

Thanks, Gavin

Hi all,

Thoughts?

Thanks, Gavin

probably not a help but i had a golf that could go from fast lane to hard shoulder at 70 in about 200 yards. i had bushes, track rods, wishbones changed no better. ended up part exing it for my octy after just 3 months. but before i part exed it i gave it a proper clean and found glass all down the front fans that blow on windscrean. cpr check clean but i still think it had had a smash non recordered. so things could be bent or twisted. no help like i said sorry.

Andy,

Looks like my re-assurances may have been BS. Having had all the bushes changed on my car recently, I decided to go get a 4 wheel alignment at Revolution in Gateshead. The car is transformed as my suspension was well out of kilter. Now it doesn't pull to the left and the wheel is centred.

Here is the read out showing before and after

hunter4wheel.jpg

Might be worth getting it done!

Ron