Four x Formibable

philpix

First real test of the car in serious deep snow and the estate passed with flying colours

Just brilliant even when shod with factory-fitted tyres.

Now on compacted stuff....not so good. Winter rubber beckons.

Love it!

Edited by philpix

First real test of the car in serious deep snow and the estate passed with flying colours

Just brilliant even when shod with factory-fitted tyres.

Love it!

I thought you'd put snow tyres on?

Mark.

I know Al, and they look the biz on those Luxons.

May have to treat myself.

Phil.

You now you want too! ;)

But, it is Good to hear that it's going well on the Conti Sport Contact's in the white stuff too!

Al.

You now you want too! ;)

But, it is Good to hear that it's going well on the Conti Sport Contact's in the white stuff too!

Al.

I don't think the Conti"s are that great. The Avons on my TT are a better bet I think.

Phil.

Thats nowt! I've got 16'' in Durham! Oo er missus!

Mark.

Guys 7 inches, 16 inches southern softies, here in Falkirk (central Scotland) we have had 3 inches Friday, 4 saturday, 8 Sunday, 5 Monday with at least 4 inches this morning, forecast for rest of the week in heavy snow on Wednesday and Thursday with -11 on Thursday night sunny on Friday with heavy snow on Saturday.

Yesteraday the factory was suggling at starting time at 7:30am, but by 9am JCB's and ploughs had been in and we are working again. Still cant get any deliveires from suppliers down south, further south less of a chance. I think when the south coast gets an inch it is more than they can handle, in more ways than one. Anything less than 3 inches is classed as "icing sugar" on top of cake.

I built an igloo in the garden last night for the kids, still trying to convince the mrs that it is nice and warm, but she is not for moving in

The rufus

Edited by rufusmcc

Al, What make are your winter tyres and what width and ratio?

Phil.

I've got Vredestine Wintrac Xtreme's on - they are standard size, so 225 40 18

I know, i know, they should be 16", but i care not, they work like a charm, and look GREAT!

Al. :giggle:

ps. If you ever get up Norf, feel free to pop in - if it's anytime soon, will take you out in the snow with it! :yes:

Edited by ukcruiser

I've got Vredestine Wintrac Xtreme's on - they are standard size, so 225 40 18

I know, i know, they should be 16", but i care not, they work like a charm, and look GREAT!

Al. :giggle:

ps. If you ever get up Norf, feel free to pop in - if it's anytime soon, will take you out in the snow with it! :yes:

Vredestine Wintrac Xtreme"s are like rocking horse poo!

I have managed to get a set of Avons which are on order and fitted tomorrow.

The Contis just don't handle the deep stuff well enough, so more dosh to fork out.

Still like you say worth it in the end. Now for the search for a set of alloys for the Summer!

Phil.

They were readily available when i had them fitted to rims in September ish, but of course, supply and demand etc etc...

I bought them from MyTyres, and they were about £120 ea. (had 5% discount on at the time) I have looked for a friend of mine today, and in 225 45 17" size, they are £180 ea!

Went for them, as they've already done a winter on my Wife's Cee'd, and she's had no issues, and the ware levels are minimal. (in size 205 55 16 on the Cee'd)

We've put Nankang Snow SV-2 on the old's Sportage; not as good as the Vredestine's, but, half the price...

Al.

ps. I take it your joining me, going against the crowd for 18" Winter Tyres?!

They were readily available when i had them fitted to rims in September ish, but of course, supply and demand etc etc...

I bought them from MyTyres, and they were about £120 ea. (had 5% discount on at the time) I have looked for a friend of mine today, and in 225 45 17" size, they are £180 ea!

Went for them, as they've already done a winter on my Wife's Cee'd, and she's had no issues, and the ware levels are minimal. (in size 205 55 16 on the Cee'd)

We've put Nankang Snow SV-2 on the old's Sportage; not as good as the Vredestine's, but, half the price...

Al.

ps. I take it your joining me, going against the crowd for 18" Winter Tyres?!

Yep, going on my Thermistos.

Phil.

Wooohooo! :) you wont regret it for this weather! - Currently, still snowing norf of you...

Al.

Still snowing sarf of you!

Keep safe.

Phil.

Edited by philpix

I got some of the Ice Touring's fitted yesterday and felt much more confident coming home, but since then at the top of the hill I live on which never gets grit, we had 8"snow last night and I chickened out today from testing them... Now wish I chose the 4x4 model!!

Got conti ts810 s winter tyres fitted to my 18 inch wheels two weeks ago at Kwik fit, not bad price wise and quiet on dry roads. Used them in Yorkshire last week in the Pennines with 7 inches of snow and they were superb. Not a slipped wheel even up a one in three road, amazing. They give you so much confidence.

I've got Marangoni Meteo HPs on my 18" wheels - coming back from Heathrow last night the worst problem was getting stuck behind 4X4s! Rock solid, even on snowy hills. I'm well chuffed with them.