Come on pursuade me to buy a Fabia vRS !

Ok, for about 4 weeks now i have been dithering about buying a Fabia vRS. Should i, shouldnt i, at the moment i have a 2008 facelift Focus ST2 i have driven the vRS and i must admit i thought it was fantastic, but i still cant make my mind up ! The ST is great but its getting on for 3 years old now, fuel is quite heavy as is insurance, i fancy a brand new car again having had a new Fabia vrs in 2003 ( sorry i sold that car ) so whats your thoughts for and against changing, come on pursuade me to buy a new vRS ! :)

Ok, for about 4 weeks now i have been dithering about buying a Fabia vRS. Should i, shouldnt i, at the moment i have a 2008 facelift Focus ST2 i have driven the vRS and i must admit i thought it was fantastic, but i still cant make my mind up ! The ST is great but its getting on for 3 years old now, fuel is quite heavy as is insurance, i fancy a brand new car again having had a new Fabia vrs in 2003 ( sorry i sold that car ) so whats your thoughts for and against changing, come on pursuade me to buy a new vRS ! :)

Get yourself down to your local dealer and book a test drive.

You will then order one, guaranteed.

Tony

Hi Tony,

My wife recently switched her 5 year old Golf GTI for a Fabia VRS. We'd bought an Octavia VRS & were so impressed with it that we thought a smaller car like the Fabia VRS would offer similar performance to her Golf GTI with roughly £700 a year savings in car tax, petrol & insurance. The car is not 2 weeks old yet so I can't comment on the performance, but the car I test drove felt as quick as the Golf up to about 80mph & then felt a little lacking in torque...the Octavia VRS we own is a CRD and the m'way performance is awesome. With 7 speeds the car is pretty quiet when cruising & can do the m'way schlep...though given a choice I'd always go for the Octy.

On the back roads I'd want the Furby back though...it feels small & nimble, great turn in & reminds me somewhat of my old 205 GTI 1.9...but quicker! :) It also rides very well...though perhaps rolls a little more than you'd expect..I'm tempted to go for the Skoda approved lowered suspension kit (£300ish fitted) to help with this & the fact that it looks like someone put 4x4 ground clearance on it by mistake! :D

Inside the driving position is spot on...though I wish the seats would go lower..same as on the Octy...I wonder if the store pods under the seats are to blame for this?! :S The seats are fantastic for keeping you locked in position & there are a load of useful little storage areas...though you'll want to get some anti slip matting & place it in the 2 gloveboxs, in front of the cup holders, under the handbrake, in the door pockets & in the hole to the right of the driver or you'll just hear everything sliding about.

Compared to the Golf & Octavia it does feel a little cheap inside...but hey, it's a cheaper car...don't flick the roof...it pings like an old Datsun roof! :yes:

The engine is a gem, really smooth & the transition from Supercharger to Turbocharger is impossible to spot.

The DSG gearbox...mmm...maybe I need more time with it, as it stands I admire it but would pay £500 more for a manual which is a bit galling when lower down the range you pay an additional £600+ for the DSG option. It's a shame they don't make a manual gearbox for this engine, but the paddles help give you more control...I'm amazed a lot of people think they are just a gimmick, even in everyday driving I like to approach a roundabout using the engine to brake me & ready to go...not cruise up in 5th/6th & put my foot down...cog swap...and we're off in 3rd...that delay just frustrates me...and how much more brake wear must it cause.

Back on to a positive note, the traction is awesome XDS really helps out of slippy junctions (The Golf used to have real issues getting its power down..the Octy's got XDS), I've not had any problems in the snow on the standard tyres.

Try one, see how you find the gearbox & interior quality, the rest of the car is awesome.

P.S. Get the heated seats...best I've ever used, only 2 settings, No.1 keeps you nicely warm after No.2 has seared your rump in under a mile! :o

Hi Tony,

My wife recently switched her 5 year old Golf GTI for a Fabia VRS. We'd bought an Octavia VRS & were so impressed with it that we thought a smaller car like the Fabia VRS would offer similar performance to her Golf GTI with roughly £700 a year savings in car tax, petrol & insurance. The car is not 2 weeks old yet so I can't comment on the performance, but the car I test drove felt as quick as the Golf up to about 80mph & then felt a little lacking in torque...the Octavia VRS we own is a CRD and the m'way performance is awesome. With 7 speeds the car is pretty quiet when cruising & can do the m'way schlep...though given a choice I'd always go for the Octy.

On the back roads I'd want the Furby back though...it feels small & nimble, great turn in & reminds me somewhat of my old 205 GTI 1.9...but quicker! :) It also rides very well...though perhaps rolls a little more than you'd expect..I'm tempted to go for the Skoda approved lowered suspension kit (£300ish fitted) to help with this & the fact that it looks like someone put 4x4 ground clearance on it by mistake! :D

Inside the driving position is spot on...though I wish the seats would go lower..same as on the Octy...I wonder if the store pods under the seats are to blame for this?! :S The seats are fantastic for keeping you locked in position & there are a load of useful little storage areas...though you'll want to get some anti slip matting & place it in the 2 gloveboxs, in front of the cup holders, under the handbrake, in the door pockets & in the hole to the right of the driver or you'll just hear everything sliding about.

Compared to the Golf & Octavia it does feel a little cheap inside...but hey, it's a cheaper car...don't flick the roof...it pings like an old Datsun roof! :yes:

The engine is a gem, really smooth & the transition from Supercharger to Turbocharger is impossible to spot.

The DSG gearbox...mmm...maybe I need more time with it, as it stands I admire it but would pay £500 more for a manual which is a bit galling when lower down the range you pay an additional £600+ for the DSG option. It's a shame they don't make a manual gearbox for this engine, but the paddles help give you more control...I'm amazed a lot of people think they are just a gimmick, even in everyday driving I like to approach a roundabout using the engine to brake me & ready to go...not cruise up in 5th/6th & put my foot down...cog swap...and we're off in 3rd...that delay just frustrates me...and how much more brake wear must it cause.

Back on to a positive note, the traction is awesome XDS really helps out of slippy junctions (The Golf used to have real issues getting its power down..the Octy's got XDS), I've not had any problems in the snow on the standard tyres.

Try one, see how you find the gearbox & interior quality, the rest of the car is awesome.

P.S. Get the heated seats...best I've ever used, only 2 settings, No.1 keeps you nicely warm after No.2 has seared your rump in under a mile! :o

I too have been considering getting a new Fabia VRS, just cant yet bring myself to leave my current 54 plate vRS...... but your review has gone some way to persuading me!

Thank you and well done for posting a well put and impartial review of your car so far. The more I think about it the more I want one!

Out of curiosity, VRS Doug, where did you get your car from? I'm in Herts also and local delaers havent been that great compared to deals offered by dealers 140 miles away!

Out of interest why the Fabia over the Polo or the FR/Cupra? The FR could be the cheapest option, even though it only has 150BHP its the exact same engine and certain dealers will warrent a Revo map which will push it to 215BHP+

I too have been considering getting a new Fabia VRS, just cant yet bring myself to leave my current 54 plate vRS...... but your review has gone some way to persuading me!

Thank you and well done for posting a well put and impartial review of your car so far. The more I think about it the more I want one!

Out of curiosity, VRS Doug, where did you get your car from? I'm in Herts also and local delaers havent been that great compared to deals offered by dealers 140 miles away!

If you boot the derv you can still get in the 40'smpg (I used to have one), if you boot the 1.4TSI you'll get mid 20's. Its only in uber granny mode will you get the 45+ (which is what I do on the way to workl). Normal driving with the odd blast will get you into the 30's. Probably a great improvement for the ST2 owner but the VRS owner may get a shock.

I've said this a few times before, but if you want a car that will put a smile on your face and rub others up the wrong way ,you can't get better than the new vRS! :giggle:

I agree with mardon, use it sensibly with the odd blast in sport and it's regularly doing 33-35 mpg.

Trust me, I had the previous vRS and I wouldn't swap if you paid me. A far more superior car in my opinion. :)

Thanks very much for your replies, i am going to nip to Simpsons in Preston tommorow and if he will still give me the same PX price as he offered me for my car ( £11,000 ) which is about 5 weeks ago now

i will do the deal. My spec will be Metallic Silver, Black roof, Climate control, Cruise control, Front armrest, Chrome alloys. Price OTR is £17.065

If i am feeling cheeky i might ask him if he can get nearer to the Carfile price which is £15,345 with the same extras, they ony offered me £10,200 PX but still works out at a saving of £920. The slight drawback is i would have to travel to the midlands twice ( not a million miles away i know ) but still a lot further than Preston.

We got the car from 'Progress Skoda' in Letchworth....ask for Michael. they got very close to drive the deal's price on the Octy VRS & even he thought the boss had slipped up with the deal they gave us on the Furby VRS...it was over £1000 less than they quoted us on an ex demo green VRS which was nowhere near as well optioned as the ex display Blue car we bought. :thumbup:

The service there has been nothing but first class, way better than the VW dealership in St. Albans we used to go to.

You are going to spend 5k to change cars so make sure it is really worth it. After your test drive get back into your car, give it some and then decide if the Fabia is worth that kind of investment. ST is a cracking car. Think of the more interesting things you could do with the cash eg Really good holiday, membership of car club etc.

I used to be really into hot hatches but now just dont see the point of them. For 16k you could buy something older but much more interesting if you really must change from the ST.

I too had become jaded with trad hot hatches etc after running many fast motors, with a few interesting ones.

I have been looking back at forum discussions Tony to find evidence to persuade you, but I am sure you have been doing that yourself.

The truth is the VRS is brilliant but has shortcomings like any other car.

Mastering manual control of the dsg to avoid the hesitation that some (truthfully) report is challenging but rewarding, and 4K miles on I am still going up the learning curve.

I have stated elsewhere that I gnash my teeth when car-park manoeuvring with dsg.

But here is my real evidence.

I had, over many years, metamorphosised from a raving petrol-head, into one of those awful diesel-driving people who talk about MPG this and range that etc.

This little car has re-awakened my joy of driving purely for its own sake.

If it wasnt up to its axles in snow and covered in ice I would be out driving it now. I really really want to.

I rest my case.

Thanks very much for your replies, i am going to nip to Simpsons in Preston tommorow and if he will still give me the same PX price as he offered me for my car ( £11,000 ) which is about 5 weeks ago now

i will do the deal. My spec will be Metallic Silver, Black roof, Climate control, Cruise control, Front armrest, Chrome alloys. Price OTR is £17.065

If i am feeling cheeky i might ask him if he can get nearer to the Carfile price which is £15,345 with the same extras, they ony offered me £10,200 PX but still works out at a saving of £920. The slight drawback is i would have to travel to the midlands twice ( not a million miles away i know ) but still a lot further than Preston.

Hi Tony,

Nice spec..though can I suggest losing the front armrest..we've got one....you have to have it up to use the handbrake then forget to put it down, I guess I may use it on a m'way journey...if you can though go for the heated seats..they're awesome! ;)

Hey mate this is where I got mine from! They are great to deal with.

If you spotted the red with black alloys vrs demo car, that one is mine ;)

Out of interest why the Fabia over the Polo or the FR/Cupra? The FR could be the cheapest option, even though it only has 150BHP its the exact same engine and certain dealers will warrent a Revo map which will push it to 215BHP+

Of course, if you really really want a derv - the Ibiza FR can be had with the 2.0 TDI CR 140...

And if you want an estate variant, my canx vRS estate (in black) will be arriving at Darlingtons in Harlow shortly, its alreay at the docks apparently.

Edited by Ross Chapman

^^Completely forgot about the 2.0TDi version. Also a very good choice and also a much closer match to the old VRS. These map to around the 180/190 mark like the old 1.9PD but have a less boot in the back powerband.

The DSG does take time to master for having fun. My mother could also just as easily jump in the car and pootle about in D and not know what she was missing.

Think it was Sat 23rd Oct then again on Sun 24th Oct. About 1.5 hours each time.

Ah right, a while back then.

It is currently sat on the driveway looking like it has been through a rally stage, it's in desperate need of a clean!

Oooopppps! So 45mpg is hard to manage? Just chopping my Vrs Tdi octavia in for one... I was getting 41.5 mpg over time with quck squirts on the mway and the off b road blast plus lots of mind numbing commuting hence the desire for a dsg box. I was looking for a new Octavia DSG but the wait for tdi engines is TD-uss (geddit?!) my partner is expecting a 5-6 months wait for her new yeti!! Bearing in mind that Petrol is 3p per litre cheaper so that's gotta help,,, hasn't it??