Snow tyres & wheels

Pete-n

Hi guys anyone having difficulty getting Snow tyres and rims check feltham tyres if your south nr heathrow

205/55R16 Dunlop winter 3D (94H reinforced) on vag black steel 5x112 rims new but demounts out of factory £400 plus vat for a set of four to briskodians

0208 890 7138 Peter

One word of warning to all who have or are considering snow tyres is that it is considered a modification by a lot of insurance companies and most are charging up to 20% more on premiums for doing this. Snow chains or socks however do not attract this extra premium ....

One word of warning to all who have or are considering snow tyres is that it is considered a modification by a lot of insurance companies and most are charging up to 20% more on premiums for doing this. Snow chains or socks however do not attract this extra premium ....

Actually its not anymore... :wonder:

Have a read in many areas in the Forum

Anyone who is about to be charged more fitting snow tyres needs to ask to speak to a supervisor or a manager as it is not a extra premium issue its just a lack of understanding by the telephone advisor , if this was the case you would have a premium increase for fitting bosch wipers or a ring lightbulb or even a pirelli instead of a dunlop , its just another tyre suitable for your car which offers better grip , traction and roadholding in lower temp conditions.

Dont accept premium increases due to a lack of understanding guys

Edited by Pete-n

My 2wd 110se has 225/50 tyres on 17 inch wheels. The handbook says do not use snow chains on the front drive wheels for technical reasons. Their no bloody use on the rear! Any ideas why this is so? I have park assist fitted, this comes with TCS.

I have 225/50R17 on mine normally its a TDI 140 4x4 and i have seen this statement about chains the only thing i can see is a clearance on the arch liners on full lock i.e fowling as some chains are quite proud when fitted , I dont think the 4x4 differs in clearance.

I cant say that this is the reason but its what i see as a issue perhaps

hope this helps

Peter

Edited by Pete-n

My 2wd 110se has 225/50 tyres on 17 inch wheels. The handbook says do not use snow chains on the front drive wheels for technical reasons. Their no bloody use on the rear! Any ideas why this is so? I have park assist fitted, this comes with TCS.

There's not the clearance for chains on this size of tyre at the front. nothing to do with the ESP or TCS system.

4466875116_ec6cdb8fcd_z.jpg

Best off with a good set of winter tyres anyway, as there more suited to day to day driving than having a set of chains for very heavy snow and ice.

TP

Because there isn't enough room for the chains between the wheel and suspension.

If you need something for your car, think about Autosocks (http://www.autosock.co.uk/) or a type of snow chain that does not fit around the back of the wheel. I have used Weissenfels Klack and Go Quattro (http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/quattro.htm) on cars where the handbook says the tyres are not suitable for snow chains.

Winter tyres would be best but the above will get you out of trouble if stuck with the Autosock being quite cost effective. I am getting sets in 4 different heavy vehicle sizes for my fleet of 120 buses.

John

Received an email today from Liverpool Victoria/Frizzell - " I confirm we don't have any stipulations regarding winter tyres and that if you fit these to your vehicle we do not class it as a modification, even if the wheel size has changed"

Edited by GeorgeRay

Received an email today from Liverpool Victoria/Frizzell - " I confirm we don't have any stipulations regarding winter tyres and that if you fit these to your vehicle we do not class it as a modification, even if the wheel size has changed"

Which is what they said to me some weeks ago.

All this winter tyre talk had me scuttling off to order a set of

Snowtrac3 s on steels from mytyres.com. They can't fulfil my order

Cos there aren't any Tyres left! Have tried all known reliable outlets

And it's the same story. No tyres and no deliveries promised. Even

Skoda can't supply steel rims-they've got to go on back order

With no promises.......disappointed!

All this winter tyre talk had me scuttling off to order a set of

Snowtrac3 s on steels from mytyres.com. They can't fulfil my order

Cos there aren't any Tyres left! Have tried all known reliable outlets

And it's the same story. No tyres and no deliveries promised. Even

Skoda can't supply steel rims-they've got to go on back order

With no promises.......disappointed!

Hi,

last I heard 6Jx16 were difficult to get but 7Jx16 were available and for tyres try Performance Alloys appear by their site to have stock of both 205/55 R16 91 (2wd) and 94 (4x4) and 215/60 R16 99

also Tyremen have the 205/55 R16 but only in the 91 load rating My link

Regards,

TP

Edited by The Plumber

Fitted 4 Continental Wintercontact TS 830s in 205/55/16 91H yesterday (from Kwikfit for £345 incl VAT and fitting - excellent price); can't tell you how fantastic the difference is on our 1.2 TSI Yeti; today drove up a steep hill in 5 inches of fresh snow past many others spinning their wheels! Two weeks ago I also couldn't get up the hill in snow. These tyres are an essential improvement I think and have restored my pride in the Yeti!

The differance is like night & day most people who have never used them cant understand but when you have you always will again , my yeti and my wifes golf both have them this time of year , the beginning of this year I had the wifes golf at my work and a customer who i have dealt with for ages came in and was complaining in conversation about the lack of ability his fleet was having whilst trying to cover there work as they needed to be everywhere the snow was and lack of grit , I asked him if he had thought of snow tyres and offered him a demo in the golf (2wd 2.0 tdi 140) after taking him out and showing him the grip level i had all the sky news freelance cars in for snow tyres (he was convinced and gobsmacked)

Good luck with the tyres mate but remember there great but dont make you invincable

Peter

The difference is like night & day most people who have never used them cant understand but when you have you always will again , my yeti and my wifes golf both have them this time of year , the beginning of this year I had the wifes golf at my work and a customer who i have dealt with for ages came in and was complaining in conversation about the lack of ability his fleet was having whilst trying to cover there work as they needed to be everywhere the snow was and lack of grit , I asked him if he had thought of snow tyres and offered him a demo in the golf (2wd 2.0 tdi 140) after taking him out and showing him the grip level i had all the sky news freelance cars in for snow tyres (he was convinced and gobsmacked)

Good luck with the tyres mate but remember there great but dont make you invincable

Peter

Edited by Pete-n

There's not the clearance for chains on this size of tyre at the front. nothing to do with the ESP or TCS system.

4466875116_ec6cdb8fcd_z.jpg

TP

Is there any reason why spacers couldn't be added to move the wheel out slightly? Surely it would only need a few mm and can be removed for rest of year when chains are not carried in the car?

I cant see any reason why the wheels would foul anything if slightly further out.

Working in the replacement tyre/wheel etc industry i really hate anything between the back of the wheel and the hub like the halfords spacers it just decentralises the wheel and causes a balance issue and other handling issues by increasing the track of the vehicle etc.Wheels need to be placed against the hub anything else just is a pain in the long run and highlights obvious incorrect fitments.

This is only the actual spacers not the centralising rings for after market wheels which allow the bore size to be varied to fit hubs.

Peter