4 Days of tweaking a VRS

Day 1

Was the grille surround. After seeing what Brimma, Pagey, Timmyboy and others had done, I was converted from staying clear of cosmetic mods to coding my grille to the black magic colour of the car:

16122010027.jpg

Pardon the duff quality of the pics - they were taken in the rain with a camera phone. However, despite spending ages keying the chrome grille surround and using what I thought was a decent primer, the paint job is prone to stone chips...may need to rethink that one! :wonder:

Day 2 was the black headlamps. I also added can-bus friendly LED sidelights.

16122010030.jpg

Brimma has much better pictures of what these look like here .

Day 3 and it was down to JKM for a major service and a cam belt kit.

Day 4 and the car remained in the capable hands of JKM as I had finally talked myself into a K04 conversion. I was a bit dubious about this as it was a lot of money and, like others, I was comparing the cost to the extra 40bhp and torque over a Stage 2+. The counter-argument of those that have had this done was 'forget the headline numbers, the K04 is something else on the road'. Well, they were right - as mentioned many times before, the power comes in a bit later and then it is obscene! :o:devil:

JKM_K04_anon.jpg

This dyno was done at the time and I am told that the torque would probably increase a bit and the dip level out as the ECU adapted to the new map.

All in all, a good if somewhat expensive little project :thumbup:

320 bhp!!! Seeing as I'm running stock...I think I'll stay clear of having any fun with black any vRS, just in case it's you!

Don't worry, in the wet and cold it has about as much traction as a pair of roller skates at the front - you'd probably leave me sitting there wheelspinning. I need to re-learn how to drive the car! :smirk:

i dont like you any more dave :giggle: Impressive figures though, ignoring the peak power, your making over 300Hp for over 2000rpm which is pretty immense. That is only 10hp below JKMs highest ever K04 car as well, Although most of the RR days ive been to @ JKM they make exactly what you have

K04STG2.gif

Edited by janner_Sy

Thanks chaps!

Sy - I was very pleased with everything. The peak numbers were fine for me as I wasn't going for settings that were aimed at getting the biggest number at this time of year. The damned thing already wheelspins in 4th and I may need to reconsider the tyres whatever the season :o

Steve M - no problem! I can't believe that we haven't bumped into each other around the area.

Steve W - yup the last one was my favourite too...unfortunately it was also the most expensive mod I've done by far.....but that's it!....I'm done with modding now...done with it, I tell ya!

Nice one...liking the K04 then? My car made 321bhp when it was first done so it's quite a consistent power upgrade in terms of the final output figures on different cars.

It's running a bit more power at 358bhp these days maybe even a tad more with the S3 engine I have, and it's mental.

Give it a week or two to settle down and it will feel a lot better to drive, mine did.

It's running a bit more power at 358bhp these days maybe even a tad more with the S3 engine I have, and it's mental.

you cant say that really as its from a different rolling road, plus awesomes rollers have been known to give out inflated figures especially recently with this big apr/revo switch.

yeah done the grill myself, on my vrs, got a couple of stonechips, even after using a very large can of primer and matt black, if it gets to chipped, i shall do it again

Where did you get the DRL's from?

What DRL's are they? And do you have thread for them at all?

where abouts did you get LED sidelights that actually work?

The DRLs were VRSCarl's idea. He tried a cheaper set and they weren't too great and then went and did the ones on this thread http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/167281-blue-bullet-drl-version-2/

I'm quite pleased with them although they were a bit of hassle and chopping to fit. I noticed that Halfords did various shapes and sizes from reputable manufacturers so it might be that there is a set that could be glued / 'silicone sealanted' into the plastic.

Nice one...liking the K04 then?

Loving it, Harry! To be honest, it will take me a while to re-adjust how I use my right foot. I keep forgetting the K04 is there and floor it when e.g. coming off on-ramps on to dual carriageways / motorways...and scare the crap out of myself! This thing wheelspins in 4th now and definitely does it in the wet. In fact, I'm kinda scared of my own car now :o :peek: :whew::blush:

you need some more chassis mods. I know exactly what ones id be getting this time around.

you have the main ones but i reckon you definitely need the TT arms and a LSD in your life. iirc your still running standard springs with FSD shocks. plus f you uprate the springs it should stop the car squatting back so much on acceleration.

Edited by janner_Sy

you need some more chassis mods. I know exactly what ones id be getting this time around.

you have the main ones but i reckon you definitely need the TT arms and a LSD in your life. iirc your still running standard springs with FSD shocks. plus f you uprate the springs it should stop the car squatting back so much on acceleration.

Yup, all of those are on my 'to do' list although the LSD will probably get done when my clutch goes....which I reckon won't be too long now :giggle:

Yup, all of those are on my 'to do' list although the LSD will probably get done when my clutch goes....which I reckon won't be too long now :giggle:

try 6 th gear 1200-7000Rpm pulls. maybe even start pulling away in 3rd. What tyres are you running. obviously with this weather your fooked either way no matter what rubber boots you put on, but what are you going to use for a summer tyre.

I should have worded it a bit better mate, I was referring to the capless 501 lamps in the actual headlight cluster :)

Sorry mate, it was me not paying attention - it was a company called mylitco. If you google you will find them and their ebay shop. They did a canbus friendly 501 sidelight with 5 LED chips in each :thumbup:

try 6 th gear 1200-7000Rpm pulls. maybe even start pulling away in 3rd. What tyres are you running. obviously with this weather your fooked either way no matter what rubber boots you put on, but what are you going to use for a summer tyre.

:D The last thing I need is my clutch going now...after that little lot, I'm broke!

I haven't decided on the next tyre yet although I think I will need to spend more ££s on decent boots :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, Good to see another Ko4 conversion. Revo might not be the smoothest but it's hugely fast :giggle: Unfortunately your clutch will probably start slipping. Mine does now. It even slips at 6k rpm B) Time for the Sachs uprated one. :thumbup: