Battery cover removal - late vRS

DRJ

Try as I might I can't find out how to get the skeleton fuse carrier off the top of the battery - it seems to connect at three points but I can't get any of them to release. Clues please.

They are fun arent they, a flat blade screw driver down the middle of the three clips, lever gently and they release.

Thank you - I'll try tomorrow - car's frozen up tonight following late PM snow!

Changed my battery on a late VRS a few weeks ago. The fuse busbar has a connection to the battery +ve that should be removed first, then you can slide the entire assembly (fuses and the funny relay? thing on the right) to the right. You have to use more force doing this than you're entirely comfortable with, but the whole thing clicks to the right and then the wiring and fuses can be pivoted towards you and unhooked from the plastic bit at the front. You then shift them away to the left.

As others have said, the underlying plastic frame requires a long screwdriver some time and a copious vocabulary of swear words. You did remember to detach the other relay from the right hand side of the frame didn't you?

Cheers

David

Thanks for the response - I had intended looking at it today but the temperature's still below -8degC at present so I'm leaving well alone for now!

Right - I had a go this morning. I managed after a while to release the right hand clip, then managed to release the left hand clip - though a piece of plastic broke off in the process (the clip still holds though) - but try as I might I couldn't release the back clip. Do people remove the airbox to get at it better - or is it just a matter of developing the right technique?

Right - I had a go this morning. I managed after a while to release the right hand clip, then managed to release the left hand clip - though a piece of plastic broke off in the process (the clip still holds though) - but try as I might I couldn't release the back clip. Do people remove the airbox to get at it better - or is it just a matter of developing the right technique?

I ended up shifting the airbox because I couldn't work out how to shift the back clip, but eventually with the right size of long reach screwdriver it unclipped so it shouldn't be necessary. Definitely technique I'm afraid, hence my reference to swearing in an earlier post.

• 7 years later...

From my experience of doing this on a late 2009 SEAT Ibiza - yes. I can't say why it is not "easy peasy" to get the top part off its clips, sorry.

• 2 years later...

I have just changed the battery on a 2007 Roomster 1.4 TDI and would like to thank this thread for the help in removing the plastic cover which houses the battery. The two side clips were relatively easy  - inserted a flat head screwdriver in the slot and pulled away from the tray. The third clip is more tricky as it’s positioned at the back of the battery and impossible to reach by hand. You definitely need a long reach flat head screwdriver. Push that down towards the clip and prise away from from the tray. I’ll add photos of the released clip. 

2F8E3123-315F-4B73-BDE0-2428CFD2C0A4.jpeg

43FD8CAC-C6FC-406C-9626-7A54B747A2A1.jpeg

• Like 1