Winter tyres and signposts

Oh well, managed to knock down a signpost this evening. :'(

Coming home from Uckfield to Lewes (A26)

A Land Rover pulled over to the side of the road, I manoeuvred around it and lost it. I tried to correct the slide to no avail.

On the plus side I was heading for the Alps on the 9th January, so I am glad it happened here and not over there.

Damage: o/s/f and o/s/r doors bent at B-pillar, o/s/f wing bent. Leaky washer fluid bottle and no headlight.

Bonnet is fine and no air bags went off or coolant lost, so I was able to keep the engine running 'til help arrived.

It's drivable - just looks a state.

Edited by Lornak

Just out of curiosity who pays for the damaged road sign, your insurance or the local council?

So far as I am aware the insurance company pays if the Council is made aware of the damage by Police, insurance Co. or driver. If the vehicle disappears before the damage is noted then it falls back on the Council or Highways Agency if there is no party to claim against.

So far as I am aware the insurance company pays if the Council is made aware of the damage by Police, insurance Co. or driver. If the vehicle disappears before the damage is noted then it falls back on the Council or Highways Agency if there is no party to claim against.

strangely enough police are required to report accidents involving damage to roadside furniture despite there being no legal requirement for drivers to report such accidents

strangely enough police are required to report accidents involving damage to roadside furniture despite there being no legal requirement for drivers to report such accidents

Are you absolutely sure of that? IIRC Where a vehicle causes damage or injury to another vehicle or person, a driver is required to stop and "exchange details".

If there is no one to deal with you have to report it to the police.

Since road furniture isn't able to take your name and address you have to go and report it. otherwise "hit and run"?

Are you absolutely sure of that? IIRC Where a vehicle causes damage or injury to another vehicle or person, a driver is required to stop and "exchange details".

If there is no one to deal with you have to report it to the police.

Since road furniture isn't able to take your name and address you have to go and report it. otherwise "hit and run"?

Agree should be reported within 24hours at the latest.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/at-the-accident.html

Did you have winter tyres on? or has the event promted you to get some?

Now theres a thing. Nokian WR g2 on the front and the StarPerformer AS on the back. Nokian say they are all-season.

The damage to the sign post has been reported too (I did it Monday morning).

Now theres a thing. Nokian WR g2 on the front and the StarPerformer AS on the back. Nokian say they are all-season.

Have been trying to understand the sequence of events from what you've written. My best guess is

1. you were following the Land Rover and saw it stop at the side of the road

2. you moved out to go past

3. as you straightened to go past the back end swung out such that you were sliding off-side first?

4. contact ;-)

The Nokian tyre is described as 'all season' for the Canadian market - presumably because they have harsher winters - but described as a winter tyre in Europe and is said to be particularly grippy on slush. The Star Performer AS is an Asian manufactured budget brand 'all season' tyre and probably doesn't have as much grip as the Nokian tyres.

If what I've guessed is close to what actually happened, I'd strongly suggest putting the Star Performer tyres on the front and the Nokians on the back.

Edited by AnotherGareth

If what I've guessed is close to what actually happened...

Yes, that is pretty much it. A bit late now to change them over, it is at the repair centre now.

Edited by Lornak