Chocolate Fireguard Tyres

The Bridgestone Turanza ER300 tyres supplied with my Fabia are in this weather about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Even getting of the drive is a struggle yet everyone else in the road has no problem. Our Vauxhall Zafira has no problems so why the trouble with the Bridgestones?

Can anyone recommend proper all year tyres?

The Bridgestone Turanza ER300 tyres supplied with my Fabia are in this weather about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Even getting of the drive is a struggle yet everyone else in the road has no problem. Our Vauxhall Zafira has no problems so why the trouble with the Bridgestones?

I've fitted Hankook Optimo 4s H730 all season tyres, which got good reviews from the German magazine Auto Bild. I couldn't get them from local suppliers and had to order from Mytyres who supply from Germany.(Four days from order to delivery)

I've managed to avoid driving in the worst of the snow but when I have had to go out the grip is much improved over my old Dunlops.

An unexpected benefit of the Hankooks is that the ride, especially on town roads, has improved. The higher speed ride seemed ok on the Dunlops but at slow speed there was very little cushioning of bumps.The ride feels softer now.

Our Vauxhall Zafira has no problems so why the trouble with the Bridgestones?

What size tyres on each car? What type of tyre on the Zafira?

Although it's early days I've been very impressed by Vredestein Quatrac 3. They were good on a mixture of roads in mid-October and they've been pretty good on snow and ice more recently.

i'm not sure if these are available in 195 55 15 as that's thje required size for the op's car

That's exactly the size we have them in on our Alfa, (although they're only availabe as H-rated in this size, but since it's legal to use a lower speed rating then that's not a problem).

Edited by AnotherGareth

I dont think you are the first to complain about these tyres. They are particularly rubbish in the snow. Maybe they are biased toward summer use and warmer motoring.

Try this site for recommendations http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/summer-tyre.html

All season tyres arent sold much over here. I have Goodyear Duragrips on the front of my Greenline. My local tyre place sells loads of these to Eastern Europeans when they drive home for the winter (we have a lot of seasonal workers around here from various European countries). They actually ask for them as although classed a summer tyre they perform quite well in wet and snow.

Up until recently Ive had no issues with the tyres, but lately Ive been sliding about and slipping too. Yep, those Bridgestones arent happy on compacted snow and ice! But, most tyres arent and I havent crashed so because they are so good in the dry and wet plus the fact they dont seem to wear out means Ill stick with them.

I've fitted Hankook Optimo 4s H730 all season tyres, which got good reviews from the German magazine Auto Bild. I couldn't get them from local suppliers and had to order from Mytyres who supply from Germany.(Four days from order to delivery)

I've managed to avoid driving in the worst of the snow but when I have had to go out the grip is much improved over my old Dunlops.

An unexpected benefit of the Hankooks is that the ride, especially on town roads, has improved. The higher speed ride seemed ok on the Dunlops but at slow speed there was very little cushioning of bumps.The ride feels softer now.

I had a Daihatsu Rally 2 a couple of years back which had Hankook Ventus Prime tyres fitted. They are very good tyres. :thumbup:

I have just found this thread and also http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/182753-winter-tyres-on-steel-rims-from-mytyres/

I have a Fabia Estate 1.6 TDI on order with 205/45/16 tyre size so will have to wait and see what brand tyres it comes on.

The tread pattern of the Bridgestone ER300 looks similar to the 205/55/16 Goodyear Efficientgrip (front) and Dunlop Fast Response (rear) I have on my Audi A4 while tread pattern of Continental Contact Premium 2 also looks similar with block pattern at the edges and bands centre that once part worn have no tread pattern.

I struggled to get into my drive the other night when others seemed to cope better, I put it down to the car being relatively heavy but tyres may have contributed.

If the Bridgestone's are significantly worse than others of a similar pattern the compound rather than the tread pattern must the main reason.

I would think tyres with a pattern like Avon ZZ3, Vredestein Hi-Trac or Sportrac, Uniroyal Rainsport etc are better in this weather.

205 is wide for a Fabia size car so less ground pressure. Going back 25 years 145 or 155 was more typical width.

Fab Estate what width were the types on your Zafira?

I have just found this thread and also http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/182753-winter-tyres-on-steel-rims-from-mytyres/

I have a Fabia Estate 1.6 TDI on order with 205/45/16 tyre size so will have to wait and see what brand tyres it comes on.

The tread pattern of the Bridgestone ER300 looks similar to the 205/55/16 Goodyear Efficientgrip (front) and Dunlop Fast Response (rear) I have on my Audi A4 while tread pattern of Continental Contact Premium 2 also looks similar with block pattern at the edges and bands centre that once part worn have no tread pattern.

I struggled to get into my drive the other night when others seemed to cope better, I put it down to the car being relatively heavy but tyres may have contributed.

If the Bridgestone's are significantly worse than others of a similar pattern the compound rather than the tread pattern must the main reason.

I would think tyres with a pattern like Avon ZZ3, Vredestein Hi-Trac or Sportrac, Uniroyal Rainsport etc are better in this weather.

205 is wide for a Fabia size car so less ground pressure. Going back 25 years 145 or 155 was more typical width.

Fab Estate what width were the types on your Zafira?

The tyres on the Zafira are Continental Premium Contact 205/55/16.

The tyres on the Zafira are Continental Premium Contact 205/55/16.

Are they Premuim Contact or Premium Contact 2?

From a quick look at websites Premium Contact has more grooves in the centre so more grip in snow.

Premium Contact 2 tread pattern is not vastly different to the Bridgestone ER300 so if they are significantly worse I guess down to the compound.

I hope I get other than the Bridgestone's or no snow before I worn the front ones down as expensive to scrap until down to below 3mm.

I chose the Elegance to get climate control & cruise control but actually would have preferred 15" wheels off the SE.

I am wondering if the 45 profile of the 16" tyres will be a harder ride as well as easier to damage a wheel rather than just tyre if I catch a kerb parking etc.

I chose the Elegance to get climate control & cruise control but actually would have preferred 15" wheels off the SE.

I am wondering if the 45 profile of the 16" tyres will be a harder ride as well as easier to damage a wheel rather than just tyre if I catch a kerb parking etc.

The ride is just fine on the 16's. Slightly more at risk of kerb damage but the Bridgestones have a rim protector to help with that. I have to say though that the Bridgestones don't seem to be that great a tyre. I expected them to be better in the snow than Toyo T1-R's (famously crap in snow) but they are just as bad! They're OK in summer, though nowhere near the grip of the Toyos. Lets see how long they last, I'd be expecting 20k+ with this grip level.

Hello All

Not to sound a little obnoxious here, but what about not blaming the tyres and maybe learn to drive in the ice...... I had Bridgestones on my 1.9TDi Fabia fronts on 3mm and back on 2.2mm and they have be fine in the ice and snow ok a little slippage on a hill here and there, but nought like a little rapid left and right turning to get that needed grip, and the little bit of rear kicking out to brighten the day up.... lol

You got to look at it like this other countries have it worse then us but get on with it, we as a nation haslost or never had the skill sets to handle driving in the ice, it is simple to learn to drive in ice, I am not a good driver, and i can do it I am sure you all can as well.

I recommend treating yourself to a trip to a skid pan, it is invalueable training I think should become a mandatory part of the UK license just like in Scandanavian coutries ;)

I now have Kuhmo KU31's brand new on my fabia 1.9TDi, and the same ole problems with all the tyres I have had the pleasure to drive with in ice, Avons, Mich's, Bridstones, Barum, Continental the list goes on and on and on, piece of advice.... it ain't the tyre it is the person behind the wheel, trust me on thisone don't **** your money down the drain on tyres, book a skid pan day, it is fun and it is invalueable lesson for ice driving

Sorry to sound a ****, but you all need to hear it..... it all depends on if you take heed, if not waste your cash and have a crash, good for bussiness in my walk of trade.... either way my advice is good... trust me on this :D Driven 134 Different cars, with practically bald tyres all around, hosting all Premium and mid range and some remould tyres yada yada yada and they are very much the same, those who think other tyres make a huge difference it aint the tyre it is the physcological boost to confidance in the ice.

Also remember the old engineering saying...... Only a bad craftsmen blameshis tools ;)

Regards

Timelord1.9Tdi

Hello All

Not to sound a little obnoxious here, but what about not blaming the tyres and maybe learn to drive in the ice...... I had Bridgestones on my 1.9TDi Fabia fronts on 3mm and back on 2.2mm and they have be fine in the ice and snow ok a little slippage on a hill here and there, but nought like a little rapid left and right turning to get that needed grip, and the little bit of rear kicking out to brighten the day up.... lol

You got to look at it like this other countries have it worse then us but get on with it, we as a nation haslost or never had the skill sets to handle driving in the ice, it is simple to learn to drive in ice, I am not a good driver, and i can do it I am sure you all can as well.

I recommend treating yourself to a trip to a skid pan, it is invalueable training I think should become a mandatory part of the UK license just like in Scandanavian coutries ;)

I now have Kuhmo KU31's brand new on my fabia 1.9TDi, and the same ole problems with all the tyres I have had the pleasure to drive with in ice, Avons, Mich's, Bridstones, Barum, Continental the list goes on and on and on, piece of advice.... it ain't the tyre it is the person behind the wheel, trust me on thisone don't **** your money down the drain on tyres, book a skid pan day, it is fun and it is invalueable lesson for ice driving

Sorry to sound a ****, but you all need to hear it..... it all depends on if you take heed, if not waste your cash and have a crash, good for bussiness in my walk of trade.... either way my advice is good... trust me on this :D Driven 134 Different cars, with practically bald tyres all around, hosting all Premium and mid range and some remould tyres yada yada yada and they are very much the same, those who think other tyres make a huge difference it aint the tyre it is the physcological boost to confidance in the ice.

Also remember the old engineering saying...... Only a bad craftsmen blameshis tools ;)

Regards

Timelord1.9Tdi

I don't have any trouble driving the Zafira just the Fabia.

I don't have any trouble driving the Zafira just the Fabia.

Is the Zaferia Petrol, coz I will admit Petrols are far easier in ice then diesels :D my old fab mk11.4TDi was like glue on ice / snow.... however that said some cars can be a little more unstable in ice then others, Fiat Bravo 1.9 TDi is the worst I have had the mis pleasure to drive in ice / snow lots of slip 'n' slip etc.... but still can be driven in the ice :D

With respects to diesel vs petrol the answer is in the torque at the wheel... petrols have less ;) therefore easier :D

regards

Timelord1.9Tdi

The Goodyear tyres fitted to the Fabia are not good in snow. They are not meant to be good in snow. They are not even an all weather tyre. I think anyone who expects winter performance from these tyres are going to be well disappointed. Also the little Fabia, especially with the little 3 cyl engine is very light and this doesn't help. Trying to compare our little gem to a Seat Alhambra or a Vauxhall Zafira is not clever at all. Fabia Price 9K -14k, Zafira 15k-25k and Alhambra 16K-24K. If I were a young guy I'd say "get real" but as it is I'd just say if you want a skoda thats good in snow get a Yeti, otherwise, see the little Fabia for what it is and what it was always meant to be. :p