How many miles on a diesel engine

I'm thinking about changing to an Octy vRS diesel. Seen a few 06/07 plates with 100-130k miles on them with one owner and fsh. It appears that they have been company cars doing mostly motorway miles, so I'm guessing there will be nothing wrong with them. The prices are stupidly cheap compared to what I paid for a 54 plate Fabia with 50k on the clock.

This got me wondering how many miles they will be good for? Figured it will take quite a while to hit the 200k mark and I cant imagine having many problems so long as the car is serviced and looked after properly?

Thanks for any advice/

As you say i think it will depend on how well the car has been looked after/driven. My dads old passat 1.9 tdi work horse had 240,000 miles on it without nothing major going wrong.

There is a reason why Taxi drivers tend to stick with diesel and its not economy because around town diesels dont really save that much. They use diesel for longevity, many have well in excess of 300K miles on the clock and still used as taxis with just normal wear and tear replacements. 130K miles on a modern diesel engine is nothing to worry about, same with a petrol really. I have had 2 petrol cars in the past and sold both with more than 150K on them, both working perfectly.

Yeah confirms what I thought. So a company car mile muncher should be tip top in my opinion. Think I'll change within the next 6 months then.

my old 1997 passat tdi had 240,000 on the clock when i sold it with nothing wrong. My old boss used an automatic audi a4 tdi with 360,000 on the clock :o i recently sold an A4 tdi with 130,000 on the clock and i currently own an Octavia II tdi with 130,000 on it. The octavia is the only one i have had problems with but i would not want to blame that on the mileage.

I wonder why most warranty companies refuse to cover cars once 10 years old or 100k miles?

Spare parts availability to start.

Then consider the fact that the suspension has been bumping up and down for 100,000 miles and the wheel bearings and CV joints have been rotating for 100,000 miles and the gearbox has been changing gears for 100,000 miles and the wiper stalks and headlight switches have been turning on and off for ten years and the heater and A/C have been working or not working for ten years and the doors and boot and bonnet have been opening and closing for ten years. Get the picture?

There is way more to consider about the costs of insuring a car than simply what engine it has.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201052376043878/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/10000/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/model/octavia/make/skoda/radius/1500/keywords/vrs/page/1/postcode/ne244gz?logcode=p

To me this car is in mint condition. Ok not seen it in the flesh, but cant see why it would have been abused. I dont mind having to replce parts over the next 5 years so long as it's mechanically sound.

lol jumbo box means nothing to me, been spending all my briskoda time reading the fabia thread :p Pdc means nothing too, but I know what maxidot is!

Jumbo box is an air conditioned compartment under the centre armrest. It also houses an AUX-IN socket that allows you to play your MP3 Player / iPod through the stereo.

PDC = Park Distance Control, or rear parking sensors.

Provided the car has had reasonably regular "fluids and filters" the basic engine components are likely to be fine. What is much more of an unknown is all the other components, such as alternator, power steering pump, clutch and flywheel, radiator etc etc. These are the bits that tend to fail and cost you money. It is a rare thing these days for the actual engine block/head assy to be worn out at less than 250k miles (although head gasket failure is not uncommon at much lower mileages). Also, a high mileage does not necessarily imply days of motorway cruising. Some cars build up big mileages doing relentless urban/suburban hacking and can be well and truely worn out at 100k.

I bought a 57 plate vrs tdi - its now got 90k on the clock , but the turbo is on its way out, when i replace the turbo it will go on for many more happy miles , oh yeah it mapped too !

I bought my Octavia 2 years ago, it had 117,000 miles on the clock, it had FSH and had just had its first MOT (making it 3 years old).

Other than an expensive first service, cambelt was due, I haven't had any issues with it. It is an 05 plate and I bought it for £3995. A friend of mine bought a 55 plate a few months before me, with 40k on the clock, and paid about £11,000

It now has 140,000 miles on it, and still not worried about it. I've heard of octavia mk1 taxis doing hundreds of thousands of miles, so I wouldn't be worried about buying a fairly young Skoda with high mileage.

I think a young car with high mileage is probably better value for money than a much older car with a lower mileage. These types of car are usually company car fodder, and get driven lots of miles on motorways, but generally well looked after, only one owner, and very cheap second hand.

Edited by luke_a

I think a young car with high mileage is probably better value for money than a much older car with a lower mileage. These types of car are usually company car fodder, and get driven lots of miles on motorways, but generally well looked after, only one owner, and very cheap second hand.

My thoughts entirely. Wont be changing for another 6 months, but in the meantime I can keep an eye on what comes up for sale and be able to recognise better vehicles.

• 1 month later...

Spare parts availability to start.

Then consider the fact that the suspension has been bumping up and down for 100,000 miles and the wheel bearings and CV joints have been rotating for 100,000 miles and the gearbox has been changing gears for 100,000 miles and the wiper stalks and headlight switches have been turning on and off for ten years and the heater and A/C have been working or not working for ten years and the doors and boot and bonnet have been opening and closing for ten years. Get the picture?

There is way more to consider about the costs of insuring a car than simply what engine it has.

There's a 1966 volvo that's done 2.6 million miles with one owner. I guess it's better to keep a car going with occasional parts being replaced than scrapping the whole car.

I agree it is more likely the ancillaries that give trouble.

Since our 1.9TDI of 1998 vintage has 370,000 km on it without a whimper.

Cept starter motors, one alternator , an unneeded water pump etc.

BUT the block & head are untouched, as are the pump & injectors.

As is the clutch & exhaust (both origional)

Keep engine fluids to correct specification, keep all fluids topped up BETWEEN services, and at least in respect of engine oil change at recommended intervals (& NO need to do sooner)

Simples

Also attemp to prevent adolescents driving :rofl:

Part of the secret seems to be driving every day, wit the occasional "Italian tune-up" thrown in.

Edited by dieseldogg