VRS Disaster!

I've had my Fabia vRS almost 12 months now and not had any "major" issues with it. It's been serviced on time with all the correct oils etc, timing belt was changed on time or maybe even a little early.

I thought about getting it remapped for a while and did lots of research on the topic. I finally went ahead and had it done and was amazed at how much it transformed the car. On the 2 Jan i was on a dual carriageway sitting around 40mph when all power went from the car. No warning noise, no lights, nothing. I pulled over and popped the bonnet. To cut a long story short my timing belt snapped (it has only covered about 10k miles since being changed 6 months ago). I called the garage who fitted it who started work on the car that day. They have said one of 2 things has happened: The belt has failed, the tensioner and water pump are both fine or when fitted it was fitted with too much tension and over time this has taken it's toll on the belt.

With a remap, is there anymore tension on the timing belt or does that not change?

Oh and Happy New Year.

Brian

My understanding is this:

Basically the remap is software (held within the ECU) only, whereas the issue you've encountered seems to be due to hardware failing.. Unless the tensioner has an electro-mechanical part within it (highly doubtful), then something just went wrong.

Harsh beans either way - unlucky dude.

my bet would be on the belt being over tensioned and with you just having a remap i dont think you will hanging around in it. you have probably been driving it abit harder which has put bit more strain on the belt re-map shouldnt affect belt life at all.

I have just spoken to the company that mapped the car and they confirmed my thoughts exactly....just pure coincidence that it snapped 2 days after the remap.

Just waiting on the results from the belt being tested then get the bits and bobs to rebuild it!

A similar thing happend to me in my previous car.

The tensioner failed and the timing belt slipped (bent valves & damaged pistons) but as I had only covered 5k miles since the belt was done the parts were under warranty.

You shoud not have to pay for the rebuild. Get onto Trading Standards for free advice.

Edited by C.D-vRS

Would have thought Cambelt and it's tensioners are mechanical and unlike a remap is electrical (basically)

Insufficient tension on belt from tensioners, the belt will slip move around excessively and finally jam and fail/ snap.

My conclusion the person who fitted the belt and it's tensioners, is where the fault lies.

Sorry about your misfortune though.

A similar thing happend to me in my previous car.

The tensioner failed and the timing belt slipped (bent valves & damaged pistons) but as I had only covered 5k miles since the belt was done the parts were under warranty.

You shoud not have to pay for the rebuild. Get onto Trading Standards for free advice.

I'd agree if it's only covered 10k from being changed. You also need to check what actually got changed. Really the waterpump should changed at the same time. Was this done? But if it's the belt itself or the tensioners that are shown to be at fault, I'd be seeking redress and/or compensation from the garage who carried out the work.

Steve

re the Timing Belt issue same thing happened to my wife in her Old Astra - as Belt was under 12 mi=onths old and had done so few miles should be cobered by either the Dealer or (Garage) or even Skoda as you had done everything correctly - vauxhall paid for the engine rebuild on the wifes car cambelt was 11 months old dont let them fob you off it should not have broken after so few miles and time

Do you know if the garage that did the work originally used genuine VAG parts ???? or after market copy parts ????

Re the belt tension, its so easy to set the belt tension its hard to see how anyone could get it wrong.....all you do is line up a pointer on the tensioner with the tensioner to block locating bracket and tighten it all up.

When adjusted properly the belts on these PD engines are very tight anyway, compared to a 1.8t.

If genuine parts were used and the tensioner and water pump are OK, my guess would be the belt may have been damaged when it was fitted by being forced/leavered onto the sprockets with the tensioner/adjuster in place ????

Its important when fitting PD belts that they are fitted before the tensioner, once the belt is in place then you fit and adjust the tensioner.

HTH

Bill.

I'm unsure what belt was fitted, FAI or Conti maybe.

Bill - you seem pretty clued up on this and as I've not had the chance to speak with the garage, any idea on the price of the new internals (approx)?

Thanks.

Edited by rojer386

I would speak to VW TPS instead of the main dealers and ring around a few engine remanufacturers to see how much a gaurenteed (12month) exchange would be

We have used these people before for our fleet vans and a local company for any other work i.e head rebuilds etc.

http://www.ivorsearle.co.uk/