Fabia power steering problems?

Tech1e

Had the same issue on a mk1 fabia 1.4 . Problem was the connectors attatching to the power steering unit, they were corroded. Got new connectors from dealer which solved the issue. The whole wiring loom was also corroded so new cables were made by myself. No shop could identify the problem despite using code reader, their suggestion was simply to "change the pump". I had to fix this issue myself

• 5 months later...

I've had a problem convincing a dealership that the Power Steering Warning Light came on and then the Power steering failed to my panic and horror!..Apparently not showing up on the 'Diagnostics' test and although it was clear I had been driving up hill, just telling me I must have stalled!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm having the same trouble with my vrs no power steering at all I've fitted a second hand pump today and still the same any ideas what to try next as my mot is up in a month so just looking for ideas what to try next.cheers

11 minutes ago, Samby83 said:

Hi I'm having the same trouble with my vrs no power steering at all I've fitted a second hand pump today and still the same any ideas what to try next as my mot is up in a month so just looking for ideas what to try next.cheers

What have you done so far diagnostically?

Checked strip fuses, and cabin fuse 7?

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, Fastevo1 said:

My power steering has stopped working.  Just checked voltage on battery terminal fuse.  One side is 13v, other side is 3v.  Can just make out a hairline crack in fuse.

where can i buy these from?

Info courtesy of @nige8021 in a recent thread:

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/halfords-assorted-oto-strip-fuses-30-40-50-60-amp?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=skimlinks_phg&utm_campaign=phgreferral

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Tech1e,

A great article, I have a MK1 fabia, with power steering pump driven by engine, I have a sensor on the bottom of the rack, a control module under the reservoir and a sensor or something attached to the pump.

I have power at the control module, no power in or out of the sensor on the rack, and no power to sensor at the pump. All fuses checked and plent of fluid.

Any advice appreciated

• 1 year later...

Hi. Need advice.  Tearing hair out here in Bristol about intermittent power steering failure. Seems like great info in this thread - I'm just not technically able...

Can anyone recommend a place somewhere that will do diagnosis and repair in Bristol?

Fabia MK2 - with a good battery.

• 3 weeks later...

My power steering oil reservoir is almost empty. I've read it's an issue, since it shouldn't burn/consume itself, so it's leaking somewhere. But no one ever mentions what type of oil should I use, I found a few brands that match the engine code 6y2. What info from the cap should tell me the type? Thanks

The parts catalogue suggests oils meeting VW group spec G 004 000, for both Koyo and TRW steering systems.

oil container and connection parts, hoses; ; no '... - Fabia(FAB) [EUROPA 2000 year] (7zap.com) item 20

g004000 | eBay

It will have leaked into one or both of the boots around the inner joints of the track rods, probably.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wino said:

The Skoda (VW group) specification you need to match is G 002 000.

G 002 000 Hydraulic oil, Central hydraulic oil OEM VW, AUDI, SKODA, SEAT, PORSCHE (autodoc.co.uk)

It's a 2001 Fabia MK1, 6Y2 engine code, 1.4MPi, 44kw/60hp. I read it's the last Czech made engine before VW started putting theirs in. Oddly enough googling servo oil 6y2 in my country or looking by car type/engine gives me slightly different results, https://www.autodoc24.ro/piese-de-schimb/ulei-servodirectie-12303/skoda/fabia/fabia-6y2/15106-1-4 so I want to be absolutely sure not to ruin anything. But since you posted that info, I'm guessing any oil that has G 002 000 in the desciption will fit just fine. So thank you!

1 minute ago, xandru said:

It's a 2001 Fabia MK1, 6Y2 engine code, 1.4MPi, 44kw/60hp. I read it's the last Czech made engine before VW started putting theirs in. Oddly enough googling servo oil 6y2 in my country or looking by car type/engine gives me slightly different results, https://www.autodoc24.ro/piese-de-schimb/ulei-servodirectie-12303/skoda/fabia/fabia-6y2/15106-1-4 so I want to be absolutely sure not to ruin anything. But since you posted that info, I'm guessing any oil that has G 002 000 in the desciption will fit just fine. So thank you!

I edited the reply you've quoted, please look back at new version. G004000 has superseded G002000.

6y2 is not an engine code, but that isn't relevant anyhow.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/05/2019 at 22:26, Esther said:

I've had a problem convincing a dealership that the Power Steering Warning Light came on and then the Power steering failed to my panic and horror!..Apparently not showing up on the 'Diagnostics' test and although it was clear I had been driving up hill, just telling me I must have stalled!

Hi, Esther,

I've just posted with the same problem, only in my case it's not the dealer but garages who just shrug. Did you make any progress? People seem to continue driving with the problem.

• 6 months later...
On 08/01/2011 at 21:50, orhpos said:

Hi, I had issue with steering as well.

Symptoms of my fabia 1.4 mpi 2000: power steering light on dashboard went on and off, steering become unstable and after two days steering become heavier permanently with the light on all the time. With lights on and steering, all lights were literally flashing. Fuses –ok, the liquid in the pump –ok.

I’ve removed the nearside bumper grill trims and fog light, disconnected a power steering sensor from the pump, started engine, switched on the lights and “voila” no flashing lights indicated that the PAS is faulty. It was the old plastic one, replaced it with the metal ended ones which I bought from skoda dealer for £98 (august2010). A good description how to replace PAS is on fabia-vrs.com

Hope this will help somebody to save couple of quid.

hello, i am little confused, when you mention plastic, replaced by metal ones, are you talking about connectors?

That user last visited the forum nearly 10 years ago Kharl, so I think the chances of an answer from them are poor.

There was a change sometime from a sensor with an integral cable to one with a plug-in cable. You need the same type as you already have if replacing.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pete_Ex-Wino said:

That user last visited the forum nearly 10 years ago Kharl, so I think the chances of an answer from them are poor.

There was a change sometime from a sensor with an integral cable to one with a plug-in cable. You need the same type as you already have if replacing.

yeah i suspected that (about the user)  about the plug in, i have not replace anything, and i suspect it was cause due water, because ei got the car with no protection under the engine, i build a custom aluminum protection for the part below the engine (and due my "off road" driving lol

i am not understanding clearly (probably due my language limitation, you says there has been a update in a plug in wire?