Fabia power steering problems?

Tech1e

Not to sound dumb but do you open the sensor to clean it, i gave the outside a clean with a toothbrush and blew compressed air around the rack and sensor but no change

Remove the sensor from the rack by undoing the 2 allen screws, clean off any grease/water or gunge from the sensor itself and clean out the aperture that you removed the sensor from, get a screwdriver and rag and clean as much out as possible, conpressed air is best to blow out any grease thats present. The sensor sits around the steering column and detects movement without touching it (this is the hall effect). If grease/water bridges the 2 then that I believe is where the problem lies. Power steering units are common to other cars and virtually identical inside as Ive had one apart, the wifes y reg astra has one and it never failed in 150,000 miles and ten years of use.

Magic thanks, will let you know the result

Remove the sensor from the rack by undoing the 2 allen screws, clean off any grease/water or gunge from the sensor itself and clean out the aperture that you removed the sensor from, get a screwdriver and rag and clean as much out as possible, conpressed air is best to blow out any grease thats present. The sensor sits around the steering column and detects movement without touching it (this is the hall effect). If grease/water bridges the 2 then that I believe is where the problem lies. Power steering units are common to other cars and virtually identical inside as Ive had one apart, the wifes y reg astra has one and it never failed in 150,000 miles and ten years of use.

Spoke to the VAG shop today, and they say the unit needs to be programmed. So going to the workshop tomorrow and give it a go. Fingers crossed :)

Hi Again,

Now the problem has been solved, and it turned out NOT to be the pump, but a "not locking" main socket connecting it to the wires. Actually the socket on the wire.

Connector changed, and problem solved.

Also the engine light problem I had is solved as they also found the heater element on the crank ventilation to be broken

So will try to return my new pump to the dealer, and thats it

Hi Again,

Now the problem has been solved, and it turned out NOT to be the pump, but a "not locking" main socket connecting it to the wires. Actually the socket on the wire.

Connector changed, and problem solved.

Also the engine light problem I had is solved as they also found the heater element on the crank ventilation to be broken

So will try to return my new pump to the dealer, and thats it

I have a problem with my Fabia a 1.9TDi had a local guy put his diagnostic machine on today. He said there was no faults logged on the ECU, however when the engine was running he was picking up a fault on terminal 30, he could not tell me where terminal 30 is. You mention non locking main socket but where under the pump or somewhere else?

Thanks for that, but should add saw this guy check what looked like links on top of the battery all were ok. I will check the earth strap not done that yet and after that will have to remove the battery to check connections around the pump. Thanks for the info.

Hello everybody. This is great article.

My problem with mk1 1.9tdi is happening sometimes while I am driving and PAS stop working for a second. It is not a good feeling when that happens.

Anyone had similar problem?

Hello,i recently had great problems with the steering on my 55 reg fabia vrs.To cut a very long story short my PAS warning light was on almost constantly and my steering was either working fine or had little or no assistance at all.

I had the steering angle sensor changed which did nothing,i had the pump changed which again had no effect on the problem and left the mechanic scratching his head big time as to what the problem could be.It turns out the problem was caused by nothing more than a part of the wiring loom had been rubbing on a driveshaft and had worn the plastic sheath through to the copper core.Now the cable has been replaced,problem solved,steering perfect.

I hope this helps someone out there or at least lets you cross out a possible cause for a steering problem.

Craig.

Thanks for that, but should add saw this guy check what looked like links on top of the battery all were ok. I will check the earth strap not done that yet and after that will have to remove the battery to check connections around the pump. Thanks for the info.

Hi,

the socket in question is the one that goes to the middle of the pumpunit. This has earth and Terminal 30 (pluss. The socket looked fine and I also measured it and it gave 12 V, but obvious this needs to "lock" properly to give contact to the pump. Tricky one for the techs to find out I guess, but did the trick on mine. (So got the new pump shipped back to Austrie were i purchased it from and saved some money :)

Hi,

the socket in question is the one that goes to the middle of the pumpunit. This has earth and Terminal 30 (pluss. The socket looked fine and I also measured it and it gave 12 V, but obvious this needs to "lock" properly to give contact to the pump. Tricky one for the techs to find out I guess, but did the trick on mine. (So got the new pump shipped back to Austrie were i purchased it from and saved some money :)

Thanks for that not done anything since the last post, but will explore under the battery this week and check the connections. If anyone else has more information please feel free to chip in. Have got so fed up not used car have been off work for a week. But is now a priority again.

A bit off-tangent but I'm trying to undo the power steering fluid cap and it won't budge - I'm a weakling and i've had stronger people try and no luck. Any ideas on how to undo it?

Have tried hot rag to expand it and make it easier to remove - no luck though.

Many thanks for any suggestions

A bit off-tangent but I'm trying to undo the power steering fluid cap and it won't budge - I'm a weakling and i've had stronger people try and no luck. Any ideas on how to undo it?

Try a socket that goes just over the cap (preferable a 12-edged one), that will do the trick :) (can't remember the size, but if not close enough change between Metric or Imperial)

I used an oil filter strap to get mine off last weekend. If the fluid level has gone down a partial vacumn forms and it can be hard to get the cap off, so don't think you're a weakling!

Edited by Glenn_1966

Well... I narrowed down my PAS problem to a leaking seal in the steering rack when the offside boot gaiter split (disintegrated really) and all the fluid flooded out over the driveway. As a matter of course I replaced the gaiter and a track rod end last weekend and I'll replace the other TRE this weekend (they're only a few quid) and get the steering rack onto the bench. I'm going to sort the banging anti-roll bar at the same time.

A couple of questions.

Has anyone ever replaced the seals in one of these racks? I'm taking the rack out tomorrow and won't need to drive the car for a while and would give this a go because where I'm at (Northern Ireland) getting re-furbished parts at a reasonable price is difficult because of shipping charges. Alternatively I'll start 'phoning the scrapyards next week.

I've had to drive the car for about a month with dead PAS (light on etc). Is this likely to have caused long-term damage to the pump or does it just shut down? Will I need to reset the controller to get the warning light out when I replace the rack? I'm going to remove the pump and take that stupid foam thing off it, give it a good clean and seal it in Waxoyl if it is still working.

All help appreciated.

All the best

Glenn

Just to update, got fed up with driving with no power steering so left car at home over the weekend. After 4days batterry was completly flat,put it on trickle charge all day but no green indicater on top of batterry so purchased a new one. Fitted it today and guess what still no power steering. so next move is to look at connections below the pump. Also needed fluid in the resourvior could see fluid but not indicating on dip stick. Getting frustrated now can't afford to change all components fault code picks uo problem with connection 30.

I would definitely investigate for fluid leaks if the level is below the dipstick. It is really deceptive looking down into that reservoir and it wasn't until I had the arch liner and bumper removed that I could see how low my fluid had actually been. That said, the level doesn't need to go down much for the pump to shut down.

In my case it looks as though both of the main seals in the rack had failed, but it didn't become a problem until one of the rubber gaiters split. They are very well sealed and can hold a fair amount of fluid once it leaks out of the rack, but it isn't obvious. Based on my own experiences recently, it would be worth a quick nosey under the car with a lamp to see if there is any fluid coming out of any part of the rack.

I got a replacement rack on eBay for £80 delivered and will get it into the car on Saturday. It is a fairly straightforward job, but my advice is to remove everything for access before starting so that you can get at everything. I also invested in 2 new TREs and 2 new droplinks (total £35) because one of each needed to be cut off and I'm replacing the ARB bushes as well.

At 130K, my SDI engine is still sweet as a nut, but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the PAS on these cars is their Achilles heel. Out of interest my last car was an Audi 80 and it went to the scrapyard with 225K on the clock still running and my goal is to get the Fabia to 200K :)

Try a socket that goes just over the cap (preferable a 12-edged one), that will do the trick :) (can't remember the size, but if not close enough change between Metric or Imperial)

That bblqp & Glenn - Didn't need to try your suggestions though as I took it into my workplace and someone there undid it by hand... And confirmed I need to add some fluid so off to pick some up today.

Okay, update (!). I have the replacement steering rack in the car, fluid levels look okay and no obvious leaks, but no joy from the pump. There's a healthy 12 volts at the power terminals for the pump and everything electrically looks okay. I don't have easy access to a working diagnostics system, but I'm trying to borrow one for this weekend.

Now the replacement rack had a different steering angle sensor to the one originally in my car (these aren't easily interchangable), can anyone shed any light on whether that is critical? If needs be I'll swap the pinion drive from one rack to the other, but I'd rather not because the old rack has leaking seals all over the shop.

This is turning into a right PITA!

All help greatly appreciated.

I finally got around to cleaning the sensor, the sensor came off easily and i blew compressed air into the rack and cleaned the sensor, there was quite a trickle of water from the sensor when i loosened the allen screws, the inside appeared to be a little rusty more shaded rusty no actual corrosion, the light is still on and i am wary about sticking anything into the sensor itself as there appears to be a thin narrow piece of metal which might easily be damaged, i topped up the fluid and still no change , the light is still on, it appears the sensor had been changed before because it is a metal encased sensor which is not the original sensor which is plastic encased, any suggestions on further action, the steering is working well again although i haven't drived it very far

Magic thanks, will let you know the result

I finally got around to cleaning the sensor, the sensor came off easily and i blew compressed air into the rack and cleaned the sensor, there was quite a trickle of water from the sensor when i loosened the allen screws, the inside appeared to be a little rusty more shaded rusty no actual corrosion, the light is still on and i am wary about sticking anything into the sensor itself as there appears to be a thin narrow piece of metal which might easily be damaged, i topped up the fluid and still no change , the light is still on, it appears the sensor had been changed before because it is a metal encased sensor which is not the original sensor which is plastic encased, any suggestions on further action, the steering is working well again although i haven't drived it very far

Just a wee update on my power steering:- FABIA TDi ELEGANCE 2002

HAD A LEEKY RACK

LIVED WITH IT FOR MONTHS BUT TOPPED UP WITH "LUCAS STOP LEAKS" - STILL LEAKED BUT VERY SMOOTH AND VAGUE IN OPERATION. EVENTUALLY BOUGHT A RECON RACK FROM ACS POWER STEERING SUPPLIES - AFTER FITTING, WORKED GREAT, NO LEAKS. 100 MILE OR SO LATER, STEERING LIGHT ON - ASSIST VARIED BUT USABLE. TOOK TO GARAGE WHO PLUGGED IN SNAP ON DIAGNOSIS - G250 INTERMITTENT ANGLE SENSOR FAULT. BUT........ I HAD NEVER HAD A FAULT WITH ANY OPERATION OF POWER STEERING IN THE FEEL OF IT OR LIGHT COMING ON BEFORE. AFTER SPEAKING TO FRIEND (CAR MECHANIC) WHO FITTED RACK HE SAID MUST BE THE "DISC" WHERE ANGLE SENSOR LOCATES. HE REMOVED SENSOR - 5 MINUTE JOB ON CAR RAMP. LOOKED AT "DISC" - THIS PART IS ACTUALLY A VERY ODD SHAPED 'RING' VIEWED WHEN SENSOR IS REMOVED WHICH MUST HELP THE SENSOR DETERMINE THE POSITION OF THE STEERING COLUMN. I SPOKE TO ACS POWER STEERING AND THEY SAID IT HAS A FLANGE WHICH SHOULD BE PARALLEL (CENTRAL) WHEN THE STEERING WHEEL IS TURNED. MY DISC WAS NOT AS PARALLEL AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. AFTER A WEE FIDDLE WITH A SCREWDRIVER TO ALIGN THE FLANGE AND REFITTING OF ANGLE SENSOR (MINE IS ORIGINAL WHITE PLASTIC PLUG TYPE BONDED TO SENSOR) ALL IS WELL AND LIGHT NO LONGER COMES ON! :rofl: HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE IN A SIMILAR SITUATION.

SO THERE WE ARE, STILL WIFE IS COMPLAINING OF NO HEAT TO DRIVER SEAT AFTER NEW SWITCH - IS SEAT HEAT UNIT DEAD OR IS THERE ANOTHER MORE COMMON FAILURE OF PARTS IN RELAY / WIRING?

I'm having similar problems, how did you determine the flange was not aligned and when did you know it was aligned? thanks

Just a wee update on my power steering:- FABIA TDi ELEGANCE 2002

HAD A LEEKY RACK

LIVED WITH IT FOR MONTHS BUT TOPPED UP WITH "LUCAS STOP LEAKS" - STILL LEAKED BUT VERY SMOOTH AND VAGUE IN OPERATION. EVENTUALLY BOUGHT A RECON RACK FROM ACS POWER STEERING SUPPLIES - AFTER FITTING, WORKED GREAT, NO LEAKS. 100 MILE OR SO LATER, STEERING LIGHT ON - ASSIST VARIED BUT USABLE. TOOK TO GARAGE WHO PLUGGED IN SNAP ON DIAGNOSIS - G250 INTERMITTENT ANGLE SENSOR FAULT. BUT........ I HAD NEVER HAD A FAULT WITH ANY OPERATION OF POWER STEERING IN THE FEEL OF IT OR LIGHT COMING ON BEFORE. AFTER SPEAKING TO FRIEND (CAR MECHANIC) WHO FITTED RACK HE SAID MUST BE THE "DISC" WHERE ANGLE SENSOR LOCATES. HE REMOVED SENSOR - 5 MINUTE JOB ON CAR RAMP. LOOKED AT "DISC" - THIS PART IS ACTUALLY A VERY ODD SHAPED 'RING' VIEWED WHEN SENSOR IS REMOVED WHICH MUST HELP THE SENSOR DETERMINE THE POSITION OF THE STEERING COLUMN. I SPOKE TO ACS POWER STEERING AND THEY SAID IT HAS A FLANGE WHICH SHOULD BE PARALLEL (CENTRAL) WHEN THE STEERING WHEEL IS TURNED. MY DISC WAS NOT AS PARALLEL AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. AFTER A WEE FIDDLE WITH A SCREWDRIVER TO ALIGN THE FLANGE AND REFITTING OF ANGLE SENSOR (MINE IS ORIGINAL WHITE PLASTIC PLUG TYPE BONDED TO SENSOR) ALL IS WELL AND LIGHT NO LONGER COMES ON! :rofl: HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE IN A SIMILAR SITUATION.

SO THERE WE ARE, STILL WIFE IS COMPLAINING OF NO HEAT TO DRIVER SEAT AFTER NEW SWITCH - IS SEAT HEAT UNIT DEAD OR IS THERE ANOTHER MORE COMMON FAILURE OF PARTS IN RELAY / WIRING?