Drive the Deal Delivery method

As title really, can anyone tell me how the cars ordered from DoD via a certain dealership in London are delivered?

I'm in Birmingham and I'm assuming it will be driven up, will they clean it just before they arrive here or will it have 120 miles of road spray all over it?

If they do it will be nearest car wash to nicely swirl up your new motor. I'd collect it myself in case its wrong spec or damaged by the yoof caining it up the motorway!

It will be driven up, unless you elect to collect it from the dealer yourself. It will get just as dirty if you drive it home yourself of course.

I got a car from through in 2005 and it was driven from Leatherhead to County Durham (250+ miles). It seemed pretty clean and shiny when it arrived (and not dripping so I assume it hadn't just been washed). It was a dry day though.

I doubt the drivers wash them as a rule. They are unlikely to have local knowledge in the delivery area which in any case could be miles from any kind of car wash.

Its a company car so I won't be able to travel down to London to collect it. I can see it now a 21 year old oik thrashing it up the M40 bouncing off the limiter :S

When my bosses Range Rover got delivered it was cleaned before the driver arrived and he spent an hour going over the car and giving him a hand over, very professional!

Its a company car so I won't be able to travel down to London to collect it. I can see it now a 21 year old oik thrashing it up the M40 bouncing off the limiter :S

When my bosses Range Rover got delivered it was cleaned before the driver arrived and he spent an hour going over the car and giving him a hand over, very professional!

I can only say that my previous car was delivered by a mature driver who was at pains to point out he had driven steadily, but that's no guarantee of course.

The fact that I am so far away from the supplying dealer is the only reason I didn't use DtD.

If it was driven here my 'new car' would have 500miles on the clock before I even sat in it! And of course you could never be certain how it had been treated during delivery.

The price of flying down to collect it was factored into my comparisons and bearing that in mind, the local dealer came close enough to get my business.

Probably wouldn't care if it was a company car though!

I can only say that my previous car was delivered by a mature driver who was at pains to point out he had driven steadily, but that's no guarantee of course.

Mine was the same. An old boy who really seemed to care about the cars he was driving, and insisted I took my time and looked it over carefully before he left. I then gave him a lift to the train station, as they have to make their own way home.

Aren't most company cars delivered to the company anyway?

I collected two of my previous company cars direct from the dealer. First was because I lived 4 miles from the dealer and the office was 108 miles away...

The second was because I got a call from the dealer saying the car was ready and asked which office it should be delivered too... Realising the dealer was in Liverpool and I was working there that day I asked if I could pick the new car up that day and if they could take my old car back to head office as I wasn't going to be in the office for about 3 weeks.. they agreed so the fleet manager got his old car delivered too him along with half a dozen new ones emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Yes but my last car came on a small low loader. I know its a company car but I'm going to be the custodian for 4 years and I still want it to be perfect like it was my own. If its dirty when it arrives I won't notices any defects on the bodywork etc.

Grandad had a Yeti he bought through DtD, was delivered from London to leicester by a mature driver, who was very pleasant i was told. Most of these companies wont hire the 'yoofs' of today, not because they give a toss about them revving your car but because they care about their insurance premiums & the fact that said 'yoofs' would cost them an absolute fortune! :)

Mine was the same. An old boy who really seemed to care about the cars he was driving, and insisted I took my time and looked it over carefully before he left. I then gave him a lift to the train station, as they have to make their own way home.

Safe for me, older chap, pleasant enough, unlikely he had any interest in thrashing it.

Edited by DbD

I can see it now a 21 year old oik thrashing it up the M40 bouncing off the limiter

Professional doesn’t mean the driver didn’t thrash it like a 17 year old all the way of course.....

IMO there are no guarantee’s as to how you car will be handled and its not restricted to the delivery driver either. There's the mechanic doing the PDI, the guys stacking the cars on to the transport ship don’t take care when it comes to revving the engines, the guys putting it on the transporter/low loader and so on. It doesn’t end after delivery - at some point you'll have hand it over for a service, get new tyres, MOT etc. Myself, I don’t worry about that which I have no control over :).

I can see it now a 21 year old oik thrashing it up the M40 bouncing off the limiter :S

Hmmm, have you driven up the M40 lately? He (or she) won't be going much more than 60 at any one time so unless they're doing that in 2nd gear all the way, it should be fine ;)

Professional doesn’t mean the driver didn’t thrash it like a 17 year old all the way of course.....

IMO there are no guarantee’s as to how you car will be handled and its not restricted to the delivery driver either. There's the mechanic doing the PDI, the guys stacking the cars on to the transport ship don’t take care when it comes to revving the engines, the guys putting it on the transporter/low loader and so on. It doesn’t end after delivery - at some point you'll have hand it over for a service, get new tyres, MOT etc. Myself, I don’t worry about that which I have no control over :).

I agree it's the transporter driver picking up from the dock yard you really need to worry about :-) because the decks so steep, with wee cars especially some of them just bounce it off the rev limiter and slip the clutch the whole way up the deck.

Noisy stuff.

I doubt the driver will be young, as I thought most car delivery companies would struggle to get insurance for drivers under 25. I would assumed people that deliver cars would be very careful, as I imagine you don't get paid if you get a speeding ticket or damage the car!

If it's a company car, why do you care? (unless of course you own the company!)

Most people I know with company cars get a new one every 18 months. ******s. ;)

A lot of people on here get their cars professionally valeted when they buy a new one. Might not be worth doing because of the weather, but I'm sure people on here will have plenty of people to recommend.

I flew from Edinburgh for £39.50 and collected and drove back myself for all the reasons highlighted, however that said if collecting your self they will supply it with a full tank of gas and the discount still way out did any of the tight local Scottish dealers which just wont move on price.

I flew from Edinburgh for £39.50 and collected and drove back myself for all the reasons highlighted, however that said if collecting your self they will supply it with a full tank of gas and the discount still way out did any of the tight local Scottish dealers which just wont move on price.

will be traveling down too for the reasons above and as above was £1000 cheaper than any local dealer :) just the waiting grrr

will be traveling down too for the reasons above and as above was £1000 cheaper than any local dealer :) just the waiting grrr

You will get a BA flight or BMI for peanuts to Heathrow then straight on 5 min tube to Hownslow then 10 min easy walk to dealer who will slag you for being a Scot, all good fun then off you go, Left Edinburgh at 08.10 and was home watching TV at 2100hrs! Thought it was going to be a nightmare but it really was no dramas to give up a day to save £1400 notes.

The fact that I am so far away from the supplying dealer is the only reason I didn't use DtD.

But DtD and every other internet broker will go for the cheapest dealer, that may even be your local dealer.

(mine was supplied by a Carlisle dealer)

The journey from the dealer to your office is the least of your worries.

I was once stood on the deck of a passenger ferry in Hull early one freezing winter morning whilst we docked watching a ship full of brand new Fiesta's being unloaded.

There were a dozen or so drivers and a minibus and I can only assume they were under some kind of time pressure.

The squealing of tyres both on and off the metal decks was constant and it never stopped even when they were on the concrete dock.

Judging by the plumes of blue smoke and white condensation from the exhausts it was clear they were being over revved and raced all the way to the compound :no:

Edited by silver1011

But DtD and every other internet broker will go for the cheapest dealer, that may even be your local dealer.

(mine was supplied by a Carlisle dealer)

Really? Was that recently? Everyone else on here seems to have been supplied by Marlborough Skoda.

Anyway, it's irrelevant I suppose, I managed to get a decent discount from my local dealer so happy with that!

Really? Was that recently? Everyone else on here seems to have been supplied by Marlborough Skoda.

Anyway, it's irrelevant I suppose, I managed to get a decent discount from my local dealer so happy with that!

Yes, I collected my Superb just 3 weeks ago. (26 week wait)

The journey from the dealer to your office is the least of your worries.

I was once stood on the deck of a passenger ferry in Hull early one freezing winter morning whilst we docked watching a ship full of brand new Fiesta's being unloaded.

There were a dozen or so drivers and a minibus and I can only assume they were under some kind of time pressure.

The squealing of tyres both on and off the metal decks was constant and it never stopped even when they were on the concrete dock.

Judging by the plumes of blue smoke and white condensation from the exhausts it was clear they were being over revved and raced all the way to the compound :no:

This happens at the factory too unfortunately.