The Fabia vRS Review and Photo thread

vRSy

Well i did a fair amount of net trawling which i saved the links of reviews so i could read them alll to aid my decision on buying the vRS. I'llpost the link and a summary of their final thoughts. Obviously click the link to read the whole rview

though id post them up, so guys can use them if they are considering. :thumbup:

if anyone finds anymore ill get them up here :thumbup:

1.Car enthusiast.com review t

Undercutting its VAG cousins, yet arguably being the best to drive of the trio, the vRS is the sensible, best value choice among its relatives. We'd love to try it with a proper manual though; as clever as the DSG is it undoubtedly robs the driver of some interaction behind the wheel. With Renault's Clio Cup perilously close in terms of price we'd probably go for the more hardcore French car, but as an everyday proposition the rounded, enjoyable performance, compliant ride and practicality of the Skoda offer an impressive alternative.

2.Autotrader first drive

Aside from being the cheapest, and therefore the best value, its slightly better ride comfort and high levels of standard equipment make it a great car to drive day-to-day. And, its unique selling point is that it’s available as an estate, making it a quick, discreet and useful way of getting from A to B.

3.Autocar

Should I buy one?

We can’t think of many reasons why not. At a £15,700 the Fabia vRS isn’t quite being given away, but you get a lot of car, and a lot of performance, for the money.

It’s well built, well equipped as standard, stylish (in its own boxy kind of way) and a hefty chunk of cash less than a Polo GTI, although to be fair Skoda and VW proabably aren’t chasing quiten the same customers with their respective offerings.

But most of all the Fabia is cracking fun to drive when you’re in the mood, and an entirely agreeable – not to mention practical – mode of transport when you’re not.

4.Honest Johns reviews

Available as both a five-door hatchback and - for the first time - as an estate, the Skoda Fabia vRS certainly looks the part from the outside with understated but sporty styling, plus there's plenty of scope for personalisation with different coloured roofs, door mirrors and alloy wheels. It's quite disappointing that the interior is so drab, it doesn't have many of the sporting touches you'd expect in a hot hatch like this.

It's a very civilised car though, with a smooth ride on all but the roughest road surfaces while at motorway speeds it's quiet and refined. Other hot hatches may be more driver-focussed, but the vRS is still keen and agile in corners, helped by good feel through the steering and well controlled body roll.

5.autoexpress VAG group test

Despite all the sports tuning, the ride is good, and the Fabia promises to be easy to live with day-to-day. Low running costs will make it a good city car as well.

And that’s before you consider what excellent value for money the newcomer represents. At £15,700, it undercuts the Ibiza Cupra by £295 and is likely to cost a staggering £2,300 less than the latest hot Polo.

We wish there was a diesel, and the limited driver involvement lets the car down. The uninspiring cabin doesn’t help, either. But with its all-round performance, practicality and great price, the Fabia is an appealing package.

6.Yahoo cars review

That it beats its VW and Seat cousins is impressive, but buyers have other choices out there and it's difficult to ignore Renault's Clio Cup for just £1,000 more. It's a far more intense driving experience and has a proper manual transmission. You do pay with a far less composed ride, but for a proper hot hatch experience the Renault eclipses everything in its class. The Skoda does take a slightly different approach. It's a little bit less hardcore and a bit more useable day-to-day, but still enjoyable to drive.
Edited by janner_Sy
  • Like 1

7.BuyaCar reviews

If you want a conventional-looking supermini with hot-hatch bite, Skoda's Fabia vRS is an intriguing package. With its five-door hatch and estate bodystyles displaying subtler looks than the majority of rivals, this fast Fabia goes against the grain. Beneath the skin, however, the car has the potency to live with the top performance models available at its price point. Advanced technology such as the DSG paddle-shift gearbox and the XDS electronic differential could even give it an edge.

8.MSN cars review

Taken as a total package the Skoda Fabia vRS is an awesomely appealing little car. It looks good, goes well, drives brilliantly and shouldn't cost you a fortune to run.

Plus there's the build quality, the pricing, the added practicality offered by the estate...

Undemanding to live with day-to-day but still a blast when you want one, it's an all-rounder like no other in this sector - making the Fabia vRS an extremely easy supermini hot hatch to recommend.

9.what car

For The Fabia vRS offers scorching performance, a slick semi-auto gearbox and composed handling. It’s spacious and well priced, too.

Against Some rivals are more fun and there’s a lot of wind noise. It’s easy to mistake it for more humdrum Fabias and the interior is desperately dull.

10.telegraph review

Ultimately it's not as adjustable or as exciting as the class leader, Renault's Clio 200 Cup, but the Fabia does feel more solidly built and given the technology on board is terrific value for money.

So the Fabia does add something useful to the hot hatch market, even if it's not going to take class honours

11.Magazine UTV drive

With a comprehensive standard equipment package, outstanding drive quality and renowned Skoda build quality; this is simply another winner which highlights perfectly the motorsport heritage of this manufacturer.
Edited by janner_Sy

12.Motors review

It’s also strong value. While at the price Skoda isn’t quite giving them away, they’re cheaper than equivalents from other Volkswagen-owned brands but, to our minds, always as good and at times better.

Should you buy one? For some, the idea of a performance hatchback without a manual gearbox will raise an objection too far. But if that’s not you, the vRS has everything going for it.

13.Parkers

The Fabia vRS is quick, powerful, feisty when pushed yet frugal and a low CO2 emitter when driven sensibly. All-in-all, the new vRS is a great package and is more sophisticated than its rivals as it offers so much more than just all-out fun. It's also available in both hatchback and estate versions.

14.Dawn Raid review

But my worry for Skoda is that the new Fabia vRS will fail to win as many hearts as the previous generation model. By having the ubiquitous 1.9 TDI engine, the vRS had a unique selling point. It reached out to the doubters and said, “OK, so you may not be totally convinced by the badge, but look at the cost savingsâ€. A hot hatch that had a cool effect on the wallet.
Edited by janner_Sy

13. Darrenm2001 review of his red fabia vRS estate

I was very impressed with the handling of the 'pocket rocket', taking bends without drama and with minimal understeer. It was clear that the XDS trickery works well. I had a thoroughly enjoyable and exhilarating drive up to Cromer. Most of it was actually driven at a sensible pace as driving hard is quite a tiring thing to do – I'm clearly getting old. I did notice that the interior was dark, very dark.

VW sponsored link

VW 1.4 twincharged engine technical PDF

Fabia owner/user manual,

Edited by janner_Sy

Nicely summed up. Covers the good and the bad for anyone looking at getting a vRS.

A word on the 200 Cup. Test drove the more friendlier version. I don't even want to imagine what the 200 Cup feels like right now with all those potholes and uneven road surfaces...:no:...spineshattering probably doesn't come close.

Edited by Reavenger

Some more

Hey all,

Seen a few pictures knocking about of peoples new VRS's, so I thought it would be good to start a new post to see all the different combinations that everybody has!

I will start it off (apologies, my photography skills aren't brilliant)

vrs1024.jpg

Here's Mrs. ChrisRs' :

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

Sorry about the quality...Used my phone :|

So I've done 2000 miles in my Fabia vRS and I thought I'd make a quick review of what is good and bad.

I like:

1. Acceleration in any gear: No matter what gear, there is always plenty of poke. Many people are surprised at the speed.

2. Comfort: Climate control, good seats and headroom in the front and back is brilliant (I'm 6ft 3" so this was essential).

3. Economy vs. performance: 41mpg on the maxidot and 39.2mpg using the 'Brim' method. Includes some quick bursts and a bit of spirited driving on a 30 mile daily return trip on A roads using Shell V-Power.

4. Price vs performance: Even though I didn't buy it with the VAT free offer, I still know I got a fast car for the best price going.

5. Maxidot display: As this is only my second car and even though I've driven in a few, I've never seen a display in a car that presents so much information. Telephone bluetooth integrates nicely with this.

6. Skoda support: Dealer's close, Skoda Assistance have been helpful the one time I called them (was something really stupid....don't ask). Within 30 seconds of calling was through to a human being who spoke perfect English :thumbup:. The big community on here is great for problems as well. :rofl:

7. Cleaning and looking after my car: I now have a good car that I can be proud of and even though I didn't think I'd enjoy the weekend clean/maintenance, it's quite pleasing to do.

8. DSG gearbox: Personally I think it's great. Makes driving very relaxing and I feel safer having 2 hands on the steering wheel all the time. Insanely low idle and low revs make the car very quiet as well when you just want a gentle drive home.

9. Radio and MDI: Playing my songs through my iPod and having a radio that gives crystal clear reception is brilliant.

I dislike:

1. Being flashed by other drivers because they think I have my fog lights on and they've never seen my car before. More to do with other drivers than the car.

2. At times, what feels like a slow get away at roundabouts to get into that gap in traffic

3. Potholes that sometimes give you that feeling of 'Oh s***' as the Fabia rolls over them. More to do with the state of the roads really. More to do with the poor state of the roads after the winter period.

4. Perhaps not the hottest looking car out there. The sister cars all look slightly more aggressive and the complaint against the Fabia is that it looks boxy.

5. Skoda's image: Still quite hard to convince someone who is a car novice or anyone over 40 that Skoda are reliable and a very good brand these days. Makes it very difficult when you can't show them the car or give them a ride in it. Ultimately, you have the last laugh because you know you're right but still frustrating.

6. 98 RON petrol: 3p-4p more expensive wouldn't have mattered 6 months ago but with prices going up, up and away it does get annoying that you need 98 RON to get the most out of the car. I say 'need' based on my own driving experience and Tesco's somewhat biased fuel report on 95 RON vs. 99 RON. Skoda's manual and the filler cap push home the point in case you have forgotten.

Will post a picture of the green machine when I get the chance :)

So I've done 2000 miles in my Fabia vRS and I thought I'd make a quick review of what is good and bad.

I like:

1. Acceleration in any gear: No matter what gear, there is always plenty of poke. Many people are surprised at the speed.

2. Comfort: Climate control, good seats and headroom in the front and back is brilliant (I'm 6ft 3" so this was essential).

3. Economy vs. performance: 41mpg on the maxidot and 39.2mpg using the 'Brim' method. Includes some quick bursts and a bit of spirited driving on a 30 mile daily return trip on A roads using Shell V-Power.

4. Price vs performance: Even though I didn't buy it with the VAT free offer, I still know I got a fast car for the best price going.

5. Maxidot display: As this is only my second car and even though I've driven in a few, I've never seen a display in a car that presents so much information. Telephone bluetooth integrates nicely with this.

6. Skoda support: Dealer's close, Skoda Assistance have been helpful the one time I called them (was something really stupid....don't ask). Within 30 seconds of calling was through to a human being who spoke perfect English :thumbup:. The big community on here is great for problems as well. :rofl:

7. Cleaning and looking after my car: I now have a good car that I can be proud of and even though I didn't think I'd enjoy the weekend clean/maintenance, it's quite pleasing to do.

8. DSG gearbox: Personally I think it's great. Makes driving very relaxing and I feel safer having 2 hands on the steering wheel all the time. Insanely low idle and low revs make the car very quiet as well when you just want a gentle drive home.

9. Radio and MDI: Playing my songs through my iPod and having a radio that gives crystal clear reception is brilliant.

I dislike:

1. Being flashed by other drivers because they think I have my fog lights on and they've never seen my car before. More to do with other drivers than the car.

2. At times, what feels like a slow get away at roundabouts to get into that gap in traffic

3. Potholes that sometimes give you that feeling of 'Oh s***' as the Fabia rolls over them. More to do with the state of the roads really. More to do with the poor state of the roads after the winter period.

4. Perhaps not the hottest looking car out there. The sister cars all look slightly more aggressive and the complaint against the Fabia is that it looks boxy.

5. Skoda's image: Still quite hard to convince someone who is a car novice or anyone over 40 that Skoda are reliable and a very good brand these days. Makes it very difficult when you can't show them the car or give them a ride in it. Ultimately, you have the last laugh because you know you're right but still frustrating.

6. 98 RON petrol: 3p-4p more expensive wouldn't have mattered 6 months ago but with prices going up, up and away it does get annoying that you need 98 RON to get the most out of the car. I say 'need' based on my own driving experience and Tesco's somewhat biased fuel report on 95 RON vs. 99 RON. Skoda's manual and the filler cap push home the point in case you have forgotten.

Will post a picture of the green machine when I get the chance :)

Hi

Ive done almost 1000 miles but struggling to get 40mpg - average is 35mpg

How long before the engine loosened up to yield better economy?

many thanks

Vrstdi - very nice combo in blue and white.

I like it

Enjoy the car

:thumbup:

cheers :D

was going for green and black but saw it and loved at first sight!