Superb Combi: Panoramic sunroof noises when closed

Hi friends,

I have a Superb Combi equipped with panoramic sunroof since early December 2010.

I notice a noise coming from the sunroof as I pass by a bump or irregularity in the firm.

The noise disappears when the sunroof is open, so my conclusion is that this is a bad fit in the panoramic sunroof or a loosen piece of hardware.

The noise is a rattle (sounds like "clonk"), like two colliding rigid parts together, and only when running over a pothole, soundtrack or irregularities in the firm.

Does anyone with a sunroof in its Superb Combi has experienced something similar?

Kind regards

I have a Superb Combi that was delivered in the beginning och December 2010 with panoramic sunroof. I have not noticed any "clonking" sounds. I have noticed some creaking noises from the roof when going over bumps when its cold outside. Sound like the rubber seals...

/P

Edited by perka

• 5 years later...

Hi friends,

I have the problem like first poster...panoramic sunroof rattles just when it's closed (Superb II Combi), only on bad roads. After close investigation I found out, that rattle is made by two rear holding parts (in yellow)...the front holding parts keeps firmly, but the rear holding parts have some (~1mm, especialy left) looseness in their base to the vertical direction, and the rattle is comming from this movement. The glass is attached firmly to these parts, the looseness is just deeper, kinda in the base of these parts.

So now just need to find out, is it possible to adjust that movement (actualy to stop it) by adjusting something, or changing some parts etc...probably will need to dismount to some level for deeper investigation...

image.jpg

image.jpg

P.S. Sorry for my English, as it is not my native language.

Might be worth checking with the dealer because I had the same on the Yeti and found there was a technical instruction out as it was a known problem and corrected FOC

I've reported the noise every service (15,000, 30,000, 45,000, 60,000) and every time they say they clean and adjust it.  A few weeks later the noise comes back.  I've just learned to live with it.

Thx tmg, I will investigate that, but personaly I don't think it's lubrication problem. Rattle clearly is made by losseness of the parts I described...Probably lubrication could dampen a little bit that sound, but I doubt it remove the rattle totaly.

As sadd555 advice, maybe I will give a call to dealer to find out anything, before making any steps by myself.  

Edited by waidulis
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Might be worth checking with the dealer because I had the same on the Yeti and found there was a technical instruction out as it was a known problem and corrected FOC

have the same problem around the same time but haven't got it fixed, did they charge you for repairs?

DAWNBRINGER,,,,,,, This problem occurred after about 18 months of ownership with me,not quite sure where the noise was coming from initally but suspected rear area of car so took every thing out of the boot etc and it was still there so suggested when it was in for 2nd service that the noise was coming from the sunroof ,which they confirmed and as I said repaired/adjusted FREE OF CHARGE as there was a service instruction out to resolve the issue  which I suspect would run betond the warranty and has been fine for the last year .hope this helps

There was also this post earlier this year by zdenko017 about the diffuser causing a rattle in the sunroof:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/402883-roof-window-rattle/?hl=%2Bsunroof+%2Brattle#entry4648157

Edited by TheRobinK

My 2012 L&K suffered badly with this problem. After doing lots of research on the subject it would appear the sunroof needs a regular service which includes cleaning the seals, roof rails and linkage. The rails should be lubricated by special VAG sunroof grease. Now this is where things get interesting ! The same roof is also fitted into the Audi Q5 depending on the model spec, and guess what, they have the same problem with rattles. The main difference is Audi dealers are required to have a special service tool that is used to apply the special grease, this tool distributes the lubricant out of a number of delivery holes into the roof rails and at differing angles. Using the grease and brushing it into the rail and linkage made hardly any difference to my rattles as Skoda & VW dealers are not required to stock this special tool as part of the mandatory service tools held as part of the dealership requirements.  The tool and the grease can be purchased, it is used in what looks like a form of mastic gun.

I took mine to the local Audi dealer who greased it all up. I cleaned the seals and coated them with some silicone spray , cycled the roof a few times and have had no rattles since.

Both VW, Audi & Skoda have VAG service bulletins regarding roof rattles.

• Like 2