Beep when starting engine

Hello Briskhivemind

Got something wierd going on.

Now, Im used to the ping from the dash in cold weather when you start your car to tell you its freezing conditions.

However, my car seems to be doing this (minus any other lights or symbols etc) even when its above the temperature threshold.

Is this symptomatic of a problem ?

Thanks

Hello Briskhivemind

Now, Im used to the ping from the dash in cold weather when you start your car to tell you its freezing conditions.

However, my car seems to be doing this (minus any other lights or symbols etc) even when its above the temperature threshold.

Thanks

Mine pings for no apparent reason too, but only sometimes. No idea why, as like you say no flashing display (temp well into the positive) or warning lights to indicate the reason. Had me worried for a while but I tend to just ignore it now. I will probably mention it at the next service.

Bob.

My seatbelt warning only pings(and repeatedly) when I don't wear the seatbelt and exceed 20kph. It will only then go off if i put the seatbelt on, turn the car off or sit stationary for a while.

Ian

Hello Briskhivemind

Thanks

Have you started to try starting the car by leaning in with the door open and the lights on? I ask that as there is the lights on warning which pings at you when you open the door with the keys in the ignition and the engine off. If so the car could be detecting the moment you are in that condition and giving you the ping.

Ian

Have you started to try starting the car by leaning in with the door open and the lights on? I ask that as there is the lights on warning which pings at you when you open the door with the keys in the ignition and the engine off. If so the car could be detecting the moment you are in that condition and giving you the ping.

Ian

No its not that.

Sounds dumb to write it out, but I typically open the door, sit in the seat, close door. start engine put seat belt on drive off. Standard, right?!

The only thing I thought was the seatbelt, but it never used to do that, only if you drive off without it on and hit 10mph ish...

will keep an eye on it.

If it was anything else, I would see a warning light on the dash, correct?

thanks

Mine has a grump on with me if I don't put my seltbelt on before switching on the ignition. Something I really must get disabled as my normal routine is to get in, ig on, start car so its warming and then stick my belt on before moving off. That routine was due to my previous car having keyless entry & start, so having to adjust the order now so as not to get the bongs of doom.

Mine has a grump on with me if I don't put my seltbelt on before switching on the ignition. Something I really must get disabled as my normal routine is to get in, ig on, start car so its warming and then stick my belt on before moving off. That routine was due to my previous car having keyless entry & start, so having to adjust the order now so as not to get the bongs of doom.

maybe it is that then, cant say i really noticed it, as picked the car up in Nov but didnt get much use of it due to travel and it being back in the dealers for warranty repairs!

then it was super cold, so would always get the beep. Im gonna try belting up before turning the ignition.

thanks for the replies all.

Mine does the same. Very rarely I get ESP FAULT come up, which then instantly clears itself.

Mine started doing that. The dealer checked it out and replaced the battery under warranty as it wasn't holding charge (less than a year old) and was apparently causing the ESP fault.

The beep that people are hearing could be an indication of a fault that clears itself very quickly, and could also be related to the state of the battery.

You can get a properly aggressive continuous beeping if it's battery related, yes. Basically it's warning that certain modules aren't getting sufficient power, as I understand it. But then I'd expect you to have some other obvious issues, like lazy starting, or repeated attempts to start the engine, for example.

On the seatbelt issue, I have seen some that will beep at you for it before you've even started the engine. As I've said, an easy fix with VCDS to disable that.

Cheers,

Steve

You can get a properly aggressive continuous beeping if it's battery related, yes. Basically it's warning that certain modules aren't getting sufficient power, as I understand it. But then I'd expect you to have some other obvious issues, like lazy starting, or repeated attempts to start the engine, for example.

I had no symptoms whatsoever other than the occasional ESP fault indication on the Maxidot (even then you had to be quick to spot it because it was only displayed for such a short period of time).

On the seatbelt issue, I have seen some that will beep at you for it before you've even started the engine. As I've said, an easy fix with VCDS to disable that.

Cheers,

Steve

If it continues to be a pain I might have to find someone with VCDS then :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Mine started doing that. The dealer checked it out and replaced the battery under warranty as it wasn't holding charge (less than a year old) and was apparently causing the ESP fault.

The beep that people are hearing could be an indication of a fault that clears itself very quickly, and could also be related to the state of the battery.

Further to the replacement of the battery that initially seemed to fix the problem, I would occasionally get a warning chime when starting the car, sometimes with the ESP warning displayed (very) briefly on the Maxidot.

Took it back to the dealers and they checked it out and identified a fault and carried out a 'software update' (they also re-checked the battery which was ok). Has been ok since ...

• 9 years later...
On 19/01/2011 at 17:40, Gizmo said:

Seatbelt warning by any chance?

Don't think so , it happens on mine even before the key is in the ignition.

Also I've heard it before I've opened the door.

Maybe I answered my question hear (after reading all the posts) maybe a battery problem as mine was replaced about 5 years ago ,,, and on reflection it may be getting a tad lazy on cranking, 

Edited by Wayne Kerr
Not read all posts.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Kerr said:

I ain't got a clue what your on about here, please explain!

Look at the date of this post to which you replied.