SD card slot in the Bolero radio

Bobdog

Please bear with me, I'm an old fella and pretty technologically illiterate. If you are able to reply/help, if you can avoid too much jargon that I won't understand it would be appreciated.

I've recently bought a Yeti Elegance with a Bolero radio.

I've succeeded in connecting my MP3 player to the radio via the aux socket in the arm rest box. However, two issues arise.

1. The radio won't control the MP3 player, so I have to take it out of the box to change album etc ... not practical while driving.

2. If I want to use MP3 and my Tom Tom Sat Nav at the same time, and both are low on power, I have only one power socket within range.

OK, so I read in the (not brilliant) Bolero instruction book that I can play (and control) music via the Bolero by copying it to an SD card and popping it in the slot. So I've bought an 8gb SD card (same capacity as my MP3 player) and copied all the music files (about 100 albums, enough for my needs) from my PC to the card. When I put the SD card in the slot, only one album (by Billy Bragg) appears and will play - the rest do not seem to be there. When I put the SD card back in my PC I can see all the copied files.

What is going on? What am I doing wrong? How can an IT idiot like me resolve the problem?

Please bear with me, I'm an old fella and pretty technologically illiterate. If you are able to reply/help, if you can avoid too much jargon that I won't understand it would be appreciated.

I've recently bought a Yeti Elegance with a Bolero radio.

I've succeeded in connecting my MP3 player to the radio via the aux socket in the arm rest box. However, two issues arise.

1. The radio won't control the MP3 player, so I have to take it out of the box to change album etc ... not practical while driving.

2. If I want to use MP3 and my Tom Tom Sat Nav at the same time, and both are low on power, I have only one power socket within range.

OK, so I read in the (not brilliant) Bolero instruction book that I can play (and control) music via the Bolero by copying it to an SD card and popping it in the slot. So I've bought an 8gb SD card (same capacity as my MP3 player) and copied all the music files (about 100 albums, enough for my needs) from my PC to the card. When I put the SD card in the slot, only one album (by Billy Bragg) appears and will play - the rest do not seem to be there. When I put the SD card back in my PC I can see all the copied files.

What is going on? What am I doing wrong? How can an IT idiot like me resolve the problem?

Only today have I bought a 4 gb SD card to do the same thing. As a similarly higerent IT person I await the answer to your question with much interest and a little trepidation!

Edited by Little-Brit

The first album will be selected and played automatically when you put in the SD card, as they are listed alphabetically Billy bragg is probably the first. You need to press 'select' or 'selection' (can't remember without going out to look) at the bottom right of the screen and then press the file icon at the top left of the screen, this takes you back through the files to the main index which will show you all the albums on the SD card.

I use a 16gb SD card with numerous albums on it in WMA format with no problems at all.

• Like 1

Bob,

being a bit of a luddite as well, I found that I have transferred each seperate track over, not the whole album as a folder, but then sorted them into "album" order on the card on the computer.

(insert SD card into computer

open folder,

on a blank section of that screen, right click,

then "arrange icons by" and choose "album" or whatever you want.)

EDIT

Pouclee beat me too it, so I shall now try his way!!

Edited by Llanigraham

Just to remind you that the Bolero/Columbus will only read, as far as I'm aware MP3's and wma's, via SD card/MP3 CD.

You can play anything through the aux in and BT audio, just not control the device (MP3 player/tomtom/ipod etc)

The only way you can control an external device is by connecting it via the MDI interface.

For this of us in the UK, the only way to do that is to retro fit the MDI interface, as it is not yet an option available to us Snow Monster owners.emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Mike

What a friendly and helpful bunch of people! I'll experiment as you've suggested and see if I have any success. I'll let you know. Thanks!

Mike,

I do NOT have MDI set up in Dewi,(Yes I've finally named him!!) but when I put the SD card in the slot I can control the volume or jump tracks just the same as if it was a CD.

Not many people in the UK have MDIemoticon-0149-no.gif, unless they retro fitted it as per a massive thread a month or three back.

Sorry, didn't make myself clear, I was not counting the SD card as an external device, as it is a 'modern version' of a CD emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I was meaning that any device that...Oh you know what I mean........emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Mike

Pouclee, many thanks. After a bit of experimentation I discovered your method works. Need to click that file icon a couple of times, and up pops the full ist showing all 100+ albums. Brilliant, cheers!

Now, can anybody tell me how to make my 'phone work through the radio and all those clever buttons on the steering wheel? :S

Pouclee, many thanks. After a bit of experimentation I discovered your method works. Need to click that file icon a couple of times, and up pops the full ist showing all 100+ albums. Brilliant, cheers!

Now, can anybody tell me how to make my 'phone work through the radio and all those clever buttons on the steering wheel? :S

In Maxidot, go to bluetooth stetup. follow instructions and pair from the car. Then check that the audio device connected is your phone (if it supports A2DP) and you can then voice dial (cool) and BT stream music to the Head unit. (hint: press play 1st on phone, then press the BT symbol in Media).

This has been covered many. many times before....

Mike

Hi Rockhopper and sorry if its been covered many times before, but I had no idea I could stream music from a bluetooth device - doh!

So I have clicked the option in media setup on the Bolero and now have a BT button on the media screen, but its permanently greyed out. Even if I press play on the iPhone it is still greyed out; what am I missing? In all other respects the iPhone works fine through Bluetooth

Hi Rockhopper and sorry if its been covered many times before, but I had no idea I could stream music from a bluetooth device - doh!

So I have clicked the option in media setup on the Bolero and now have a BT button on the media screen, but its permanently greyed out. Even if I press play on the iPhone it is still greyed out; what am I missing? In all other respects the iPhone works fine through Bluetooth

It does depends on when your Snow Monster was made. before week 22/5/10 I understand it doesn't work.

If the iphone is playing then the BT icon should be able to be selected. If not, then, I'm not quite sure what to suggest next, other than what version of iOS are you running on the iphone?

Mike

It does depends on when your Snow Monster was made. before week 22/5/10 I understand it doesn't work.

If the iphone is playing then the BT icon should be able to be selected. If not, then, I'm not quite sure what to suggest next, other than what version of iOS are you running on the iphone?

Mike

OK - my car was delivered 4/6/10 so I guess that means it doesn't work - frustrating as enable BT-Audio is an option on the Setup menu and the button appears on teh Media screen, but is permanently greyed out. I'm running a 3GS iPhone with the latest software 4.2.1

ah, now here's a question for you, mike...

if i plug my zumo, via the 3.5mm audio out socket, into the aux socket in the jumbo box, will i get nav instructions through the bolero that interrupt music ???

have think while i go out and try it :wonder:

oh yer too slow mike

the answer is NO

but...

if i select the aux socket on bolero i can listen to the music from the zumo and it will also give nav instructions via the bolero speakers.

music can be controlled via the zumo screen which is just as easy to reach as bolero.

did notice a mic socket on the zumo mount too so should be able to make bluetooth calls via zumo if i pair my phone and plug a mic in ??

got one somewhere so will try it one day soon

ah, now here's a question for you, mike...

if i plug my zumo, via the 3.5mm audio out socket, into the aux socket in the jumbo box, will i get nav instructions through the bolero that interrupt music ???

have think while i go out and try it :wonder:

Simple (I think) ...... no.

f you want that, retro fit a columbus, or use a device that plays music and sat nave at the same time (ie iphone running tom tom and ipod) via aux in or via BT audio stream if your can supports it.

Mike

oh yer too slow mike

the answer is NO

but...

if i select the aux socket on bolero i can listen to the music from the zumo and it will also give nav instructions via the bolero speakers.

music can be controlled via the zumo screen which is just as easy to reach as bolero.

did notice a mic socket on the zumo mount too so should be able to make bluetooth calls via zumo if i pair my phone and plug a mic in ??

got one somewhere so will try it one day soon

What is a Zumo BTW?

Mike

What is a Zumo BTW?

Mike

satnav made by garmin.

full title is zumo 550

i use it on the motorbike but comes with a car mount too

• 2 years later...

I've just acquired my Yeti SE - as it was a demonstrator I wasn't in a position to order an MDI so it has the basic Bolero. The first week I used a Belkin CarAudio Connect with Bluetooth to play my iPhone through the AUX input and make and handsfree calls. However using the iPhone to change tracks is potentially dangerous so I tried SD cards & came across the same problem as others.

Pouclee's post was brilliant - I must have spent almost a week searching for an answer - this information needs to be in the Bolero manual!