Skoda Yeti 1.8 TSI 4x4 review

gavbs

it wasn't just Top Gear who reviewed the Skoda Yeti yesterday. My own review went live on PetrolBlog.com.

Skoda Yeti on PetrolBlog

My final Skoda review having already driven and reviewed the Fabia vRS and Superb estate. A hattrick of great cars. Could easily see myself buying one of them.

Push come to shove I'd probably choose the Yeti over the Superb, but only just. Both exceptionally good cars.

it wasn't just Top Gear who reviewed the Skoda Yeti yesterday. My own review went live on PetrolBlog.com.

Skoda Yeti on PetrolBlog

My final Skoda review having already driven and reviewed the Fabia vRS and Superb estate. A hattrick of great cars. Could easily see myself buying one of them.

Push come to shove I'd probably choose the Yeti over the Superb, but only just. Both exceptionally good cars.

Great review, gavbs - thanks! A more carcentric approach than Clarkson (unsurprisingly!) but a review that should reassure anyone whose interest was captured by TG that the Yeti is, indeed, a splendid car.

Great review, gavbs - thanks! A more carcentric approach than Clarkson (unsurprisingly!) but a review that should reassure anyone whose interest was captured by TG that the Yeti is, indeed, a splendid car.

Thanks. Sadly, my budget of zero couldn't stretch to a helicopter, hire of a racing circuit and Sienna Miller!

I see you have one on order? Fair play - managed to get in before the waiting list undoubtedly grows...

Thanks. Sadly, my budget of zero couldn't stretch to a helicopter, hire of a racing circuit and Sienna Miller!

I see you have one on order? Fair play - managed to get in before the waiting list undoubtedly grows...

Yes - should have been built last week (ordered mid-August!) but ominous silence from dealer when I sent email asking for this to be confirmed ...

Skoda Yeti on PetrolBlog

Hello.

Thanks for the link to the review...which reveals access to lots of other interesting stuff too. I ought to know, living so nearby, but what's the tor in the background? Any other locations would be welcome, just out of interest.

Thanks.

Edited by oldstan

Good review! And again confirming all the great things we already know as owners (or would be owners)! That waiting list should be growing by the day now.

I like the idea of a new class of car .................

............... the YE-T-I. Somehow has quite a nice ring to it.

YE-T-I ............. YE-T-I ..................... YE-T-I .................... YE-T-I :yes:

Great review on petrolblog.

I would love to get the Yeti off road like on Dartmoor, even though mine doesn't have all the off road extras, it still made the few drives I had on snowy slippery roads on London a breeze and fun too.

Glad too that the 1.8 is also getting the attention it deserves. I've had mine for about 8 months - it's a year old now, ex-demo. Still only seen a handful of Yetis on the road in London. Perhaps that's down to the small number of dealers here and none in the centre. I would like to see a few more now, beginning to think it's only me and a few others who like this car outside the press. But Car mag still loves theirs, Top Gear too and Clarkson is now a convert, so maybe more people will join the club.

I think the Skoda brand does not help - still. I've had a couple of jibes when I've mentioned it, but only from people who know nothing about cars and think BMW and Mercedes are the only cars anyone should actually desire. The web site doesn't help the brand much, it places it well below VW in the VAG hierarchy, which is an issue I understand with all their brands, plus car sales are very sluggish. A few people have come up and asked what it is, maybe now it's on telly it will get a bit more interest.

But as Clarkson says, it's the best all round car on the market. I don't like to agree with him - as my ideas and ideals are violently opposite, but would add that it's not bad at anything, it's great at most things and brilliant to own and drive. I would have been shocked if Clarkson had mentioned it's low insurance (I'm 50 plus) and service deals - but they do make a car more attractive in these lean times. MPG is not as good as I would like in town, but with the added performance it's almost worth it.

Re' the boot. I've taken all the seats out (except the one my daughter was in) once, for a week away and that was a real boon.

The boot as you say is a bit small, but tall especially if you don't have a spare tyre. I can get a big buggy in with compartment lid down. It didn't in my Audi A4 which had one of those roll out floppy covers. I can get as much stuff in for a week away, put the lid down and put a small buggy on top of it because it's a hard lid, and still see out of the rear view mirror, which I couldn't do in the Audi. I'm a bit OCD about having a tidy car on long journeys and it never has to get totally rammed with stuff. That practicality and versatility is only really appreciated when you've had it a while.

It's my first SUV, and one of the things I really like are the big door mirrors, much safer. One of the little details I love are the tiny blue LED lights next to the interior light switches, that add just a bit of light to the centre console without distraction.

Edited by scotchandskoda

Hello.

Thanks for the link to the review...which reveals access to lots of other interesting stuff too. I ought to know, living so nearby, but what's the tor in the background? Any other locations would be welcome, just out of interest.

Thanks.

The pics were taken up on Okehampton Loop. Do you know the road?

The pics were taken up on Okehampton Loop. Do you know the road?

Thanks.......No, We're the diametrically opposite side of the moor (just 10 mins from Haytor) and whilst I'm getting to know it (only been here 5 years), the west and north west has eluded us so far. Still plucking up courage to cross Fox Tor Mire on our own (the Mrs. not too happy with the idea of getting stuck waist high in the smelly stuff........not all that keen m'self actually!)

Edited by oldstan