Towing with a vRS

Zoe

I'm relucatant to part with my vRS as, although it is relatively high mileage, it's a one previous owner very clean car, was bit of a bargin and if I sell will probably regret it and not find one as good as cheap again.

I'm also a bit wary about using it as a tow car (the tow bar will totally ruin it's street cred! lol), it's on 140k now with original clutch.

It's a case of sell it for a more traditional cart horse, or keep it and use it. I want to do more track days this year and don't fancy driving the XR2i there and back. So the vRS would have to tow a stripped Fiesta and trailer with toolbox in boot.

So the question any used theirs for towing? Good idea or not? :S

Could you not stick a towbar on your '09 Octy TDI estate and use that as a towing device instead? Get a swan-neck bar and street cred is not lost. :thumbup:

I fitted a standard towbar to my estate (non-vrs) and it works as a cheapo parkign sensor!

Ive got a removable towbar on my vrs, electrics fold away under bumper when not in use, carnt even tell its there,

Not really towed anything with it yet except a 6x4 trailer to tip and back, i would think it would put what you want just wouldn't want to be putting petrol in it

Thanks for the suggestions, I did suggest using the Estate, there would be no problem putting a tow bar on it, as it's Company vehicle J thinks it'll be used to pull the works trailer! As it's not a pool car and he pays the tax he doesn't want it used as such!

God knows what fuel economy would be like, it's ver ygood unladen though! lol Was going to get a Volvo T5 to tow with!

:rofl: lol scrap the Fiesta! :o it's a bloody clean shell, two owner car, caged, coil overs etc etc

Funny enough, when decided to buy a vRS the fact that could take it on track was one of the plus points, wanted 1 car that was an all-rounder. But being it's my daily driver wouldn't want to risk ruining it / breaking!

I tow with my vRS; 14' speedboat. About 500Kgs on it's trailer. The vRS tows it just fine & I haven't really noticed any fuel consumption problems.

What you are proposing to tow though would be significantly heavier; might make a big difference.

I tow a tin snail ( max weight 1240kg) with mine and have vever had any issues, it pulls well and will return between 24 and 28 mpg dependent on traffic conditions, quite amusing as it will still happily let you overtake slower moving cars where the law allows!!

:rofl: lol scrap the Fiesta! :o it's a bloody clean shell, two owner car, caged, coil overs etc etc

Funny enough, when decided to buy a vRS the fact that could take it on track was one of the plus points, wanted 1 car that was an all-rounder. But being it's my daily driver wouldn't want to risk ruining it / breaking!

but it is a bored .. oops meant ford zoe come on lol :giggle:

how about getting a hidden tow bar on the estate so his works dont see it ? :rofl:

Edited by 550_VRS

• 1 month later...

i would put my little mrk 2 xr2 against a few vrs 780 kg 140 bhp gaz golds r888s 1.8 zetec 16v engine

:thumbup: mines the 16v from an RS1800, hope to get some road legal tyres (the 888's I have will be ok for one more track day, but now not enough tread to be road legal!) and tax and get it out of the garage for it's first proper track outing soon.

Work hasn't a problem with a tow bar on the estate so dunno why OH wont have one put on!

yea same engine as my mrk2 mate with no cat pas 4 branch ported head should see 140 bhp in some thing that is under 800kg should go well lol and i use t1rs on my road wheels when it was a road car