New Skoda Yeti ready this week....but !

Gordon F

Hi

I went today to see my new Skoda Yeti which will be ready on Thursday. I have paid the majority of the balance by cheque and i wanted to pay the remainder this Thursday in cash.

I have been told i will have to pay a charge of £10 / £1000 of cash i pay because of banking charges being levied on the dealer.

I have sent them an email to let them know what i think of this and that i refuse to pay this charge .

I spent 15 years in the car business and i heve never heard of anything so rediculous .

I know this will only amount to a small charge , but can i ask you all if you have come across this silly situation before at a skoda dealer ?

I have waited 5 patient months for the yeti as im sure many of you have also done and not once has this been said to me until today and even then by email after visiting the delar earlier today.

I would welcome your comments especially if you are connected with a skoda dealer.

Many thanks

Gordon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gordon

Your dealer is simply passing on to you the additional charges levied by his b******s for processing cash.

Why not pay the cash in to your own bank account romorrow and simply pay the balance due to your dealer on Thursday using your bank Debit card, or consider an instant direct bank transfer / bill payment by way of internet banking?

Mike

Hi Gordon

Your dealer is simply passing on to you the additional charges levied by his b******s for processing cash.

Why not pay the cash in to your own bank account romorrow and simply pay the balance due to your dealer on Thursday using your bank Debit card, or consider an instant direct bank transfer / bill payment by way of internet banking?

Mike

Put the money in your current account (if it's not there already) and pay by debit card. Costs the dealer less in bank charges (they do charge extra for handling cash, especially for a business which doesn't normally take in large amounts of folding - although £10 per £1,000 might be a bit OTT) and saves you the risk of carry around larges wodges of cash. Will usually require a short phone conversation with the bank at the time of the transaction to verify your identity.

Of course, this assumes that you have moved out of the stone age in terms of the banking services you use, and/or you aren't trying to avoid tax liabilities by carrying out most of your transactions in cash :giggle:

Banks apply a levy on any business banking pure cash, whereas private customers escape this fee. Apparently the physical handling of cash in terms of coins and notes around the country is extremely expensive.

I'd suggest paying you cash into a current account and settling the garage bill by your debit card. When I bought my Yeti, the debit card authorised (after a couple of phone calls!!) just over £20 grand!! It was a very odd feeling using that card, which is usually used to buy bread and potatoes and so on!!

Hope you can work something out.

Banks apply a levy on any business banking pure cash, whereas private customers escape this fee. Apparently the physical handling of cash in terms of coins and notes around the country is extremely expensive.

I'd suggest paying you cash into a current account and settling the garage bill by your debit card. When I bought my Yeti, the debit card authorised (after a couple of phone calls!!) just over £20 grand!! It was a very odd feeling using that card, which is usually used to buy bread and potatoes and so on!!

Hope you can work something out.

Hi

I have paid the majority by cheque and of course pt/ex . I have saved the rest over the past 5 months ( from my business , declared as wages properly ! ).

The car has cost me around £22000 and now they are grumbling for around an extra £40 .

No , i have decided they can battle this one out , i think this is simply crazy and very bad customer service on there part , why should i do this for a very small amount of money ..completely rediculous .

Having been in the car trade for 15 years , i never ever treated any customer in this way , never mind at the last minute .

There has been absolutely no notice of this situation at all during the last 5 months of waiting.

I know its only around £40 involved , but it just the principal ..its just not the way to treat customers .

Gordon

Hi

I have paid the majority by cheque and of course pt/ex . I have saved the rest over the past 5 months ( from my business , declared as wages properly ! ).

The car has cost me around £22000 and now they are grumbling for around an extra £40 .

No , i have decided they can battle this one out , i think this is simply crazy and very bad customer service on there part , why should i do this for a very small amount of money ..completely rediculous .

Having been in the car trade for 15 years , i never ever treated any customer in this way , never mind at the last minute .

There has been absolutely no notice of this situation at all during the last 5 months of waiting.

I know its only around £40 involved , but it just the principal ..its just not the way to treat customers .

Gordon

well, of course it is entirely up to you how you choose to react... ... ... You sure there's nothing in the "small print" that says that this might happen?

As an aside - I have a business account, though I am paid a salary and am usually paid by cheque - which then takes ages and ages to clear. One month I was looking at the cheque taking around 10 days before I'd actually get to be able to use it, so I asked the Boss to pay me in a brown envelope containing folding stuff - and one or two coins of the realm. I then paid this into my business account that day.

Later when I got the statement I discovered that the benefit of banking cash had cost me about £27 for the privilege, and it wasnt as if the actual folding stuff needed Securicor and an outrider to shift it, either!

Sometimes points of principal get either fraught - or expensive, and can often be avoided (saying so, he ducks and runs for cover behind the sofa, clutching a cushion to his head and his breast!!)

Cheers, George

Sometimes points of principal get either fraught - or expensive, and can often be avoided (saying so, he ducks and runs for cover behind the sofa, clutching a cushion to his head and his breast!!)

Cheers, George

Some times the principals in a transaction can really get stuck in negotiating the principles of who's right about their views. If the principals cannot agree on the principles of the payment terms, there is no transaction.

Just a little spelling bee in my bonnet - like I get surprised that writers cannot destinguish between the meaning and spelling of "´Their" and There"

Old fuddyduddy getting down off the soapbox.

So far everyone is being very polite but I am in a grumpy mood today so I'll tell you what I think.

Stop being so pedantic and just pay by cheque (as you have done for the rest of the balance) or by debit card. Problem solved, everyone is happy.

These days people don't tend to pay in large amounts of physical cash anymore- there's just no need for it so it's not surprising that the dealer is forced to pay a handling fee. I'm not saying it's justified but that's the way it is.

When i bought the superb, the dealer would only take 6k in cash, due to money laundering regulations.

from whatcar.com:

"Don't try to pay large sums in cash – a garage should refuse to accept it. You are not allowed to pay more than £10,000 in cash for an item, as a result of money laundering regulations introduced in 2003."

I believe regulations changed in 2007, lowering the limit to 6k.

Al.

I have been a director in a busy caravan and motorhome dealership for many years and can confirm that the amount of charges levied by H***C Bank for depositing cash over the counter were outrageous, it dwarfed any other charge we paid for their services. Now whilst I agree that perhaps I would be a tad upset if this charge be passed on to myself. I would not in fact be in that situation anyway, I would do what we advise our customers to do, pay by Debit Card, it costs pence, one call to the Bank to inform them of the date, amount and dealers name, but above all it is totally safe both for the customer and dealer and anyway keeping large amounts of cash at home is a bit foolhardy.

So in conclusion, stop being silly, if it is not already there put your cash in the Bank and pay by Debit Card - EASY!!

It is the sensible thing to deposit any monies or cheques into a bank, then pay out by card, cheque or bankers draft sounds fine, but apparently some people understandably do not trust banks and prefer to look after their own cash, its your own money to look after how ever you wish, however it seems if you deal in cash these days you are a suspected drug dealer , tax dodger counterfeiter or engaged in other criminal activity, In this case I feel that the customer should not be charged for paying in cash in spite of the stigma attached to paying in cash which as far as I know is not Illegal.

Edited by mellyboy

I've paid for many a car on my debit card. No stress either walking to the dealer with a wad of cash in my pocket. No thanks. I'm a man of principle too, but in this day and age I prefer to not carry those amounts of cash around. Walking with a few thousand in my pocket when I sold the A2 was nerve wrecking enough!

Aye, the guy (now sadly deceased - http://www.sthelenss..._to_M6_victims/ ) - who bought my Golf GT Sport in August last came with £12k in £20's in a brown envelope - I was relieved to get it to the bank unmugged!

Bank didn't raise an eyelid about the amount - but said they would be suspicious if I made a habit of it!

I've paid for many a car on my debit card. No stress either walking to the dealer with a wad of cash in my pocket. No thanks. I'm a man of principle too, but in this day and age I prefer to not carry those amounts of cash around. Walking with a few thousand in my pocket when I sold the A2 was nerve wrecking enough!

I do know the feeling with regard to carrying large amounts of cash as I use to deliver and collect cash from banks and supermarkets etc for a major cash in transit company, In spite of the use of electronic money there is still hell a lot of cash in use believe me.

No one has suggested the obvious, a credit card, you get credit protection payment as well ( over £100)

If your cc balance covers the final payment then you will get up to 35 days to pay ( depending on your statement date )

OR

any difference between your cc limit & remaining amount, put on to your card so it shows as credit, then you can settle the difference later when statement is due.

If you really want to be pedantic, & your'e having issues with the goods ( hopefully not), the CC company can fight with SUK, let the 2 big boys have a fight. emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

No one has suggested the obvious, a credit card, you get credit protection payment as well ( over £100)

Nope, because like any company they will charge you to use a credit card (normally this charge is just hidden in the price on the item hence you don't see it). Which will be MORE than the £40 mentioned. When I did this all dealers ONLY accepted debit cards as there was no cost to them to pass on.

It is the sensible thing to deposit any monies or cheques into a bank, then pay out by card, cheque or bankers draft sounds fine, but apparently some people understandably do not trust banks and prefer to look after their own cash, its your own money to look after how ever you wish, however it seems if you deal in cash these days you are a suspected drug dealer , tax dodger counterfeiter or engaged in other criminal activity, In this case I feel that the customer should not be charged for paying in cash in spite of the stigma attached to paying in cash which as far as I know is not Illegal.

I am totally with you mellyboy, it is not illegal to spend your own cash and should not be illegal to spend more than 6000 pounds in saved cash!

Goodness me, when banks are bankrupt and quite probably unsafe to store ones cash, what a cheek for the government to be controlled by the banks to the point of limiting the citizens to the amount of cash they can spend on items! They are almost making life impossible without reliant use of a private corrupt bank !

The Co-operative Bank appears to be one of the very few safe ones out there if the money show suddenly comes to an end and the off-balance sheet debts are called in.

Freedom appears to be increasingly lost and worse is the attitude of the people who call other silly for not wanting to use the banks.

I was thinking of buying a Yeti with cash, hmmm.... I see that won't be possible - wow, a debit card then... to save the private banks some money despite their obscene false profits!

Rant over! :)

At the dealership I work at, large sums of cash must be taken to the bank by 3 members of staff (to keep our insurance company satisfied). This is a pain in the neck and means 2 extra people are not doing the jobs they are paid to do.

I think it's a bit harsh that the dealer wants to charge you, but I sympathise with them all the same.

At the dealership I work at, large sums of cash must be taken to the bank by 3 members of staff (to keep our insurance company satisfied). This is a pain in the neck and means 2 extra people are not doing the jobs they are paid to do.

I think it's a bit harsh that the dealer wants to charge you, but I sympathise with them all the same.

Disgusted that your company is prepared to put staff lives in danger when banking large sums of money , when you should use a cash in transit company , having done this job I am well aware of the dangers. You seem to have no regard to the dangerous situation you are placing your staff in , your only problem seems to be they are not doing the job they are paid for. I sincerely hope that they are not attacked, believe even me with training for the job not nice, could even end up dead, please think about this

Edited by mellyboy

The Co-operative Bank appears to be one of the very few safe ones out there

Why do you say that? It may have a better capital ratio than some/most of the other UK retail banks (I don't actually know whether it does) but at the end of the day they all work on fractional reserves. The RBSs and Lloyds of this world have already shown their losses and in fact some of their recent "obscene false profits" are coming from impaired assets (aka bad debts) which were accounted for as losses at the peak of the crisis and which are now actually generating a return.

In any case, they are all (including the Co-Op) members of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme which guarantees the first £85K of deposits with each separate institution. That's roughly four Yetis-worth per bank!

I was thinking of buying a Yeti with cash, hmmm.... I see that won't be possible - wow, a debit card then... to save the private banks some money despite their obscene false profits!

In the OP's case it's actually the dealer and their customer who would save money by using a debit card instead of cash. The bank might save money as well by avoiding cash handling costs but the saving is very clearly passed on the merchant and the customer. In terms of cashflow the cash transaction would certainly favour the bank because they get more money in for the same transaction value.

Rant over! :)

A fair attempt: 6/10. A little less factual accuracy would have gained a higher mark :D

Hi

Well i have to say thank you for your replies ,but who would have guessed it was so difficult to pay cash for something nowadays .

The sum in question is under £5000 and this is money taken from my business which has not been banked but fully declared as wages .

With my business account it is easiest for me to do things this way if i want to use cash as a wage and then to use it for a lartge purchase such as a tv etc or as in this case part of my car payment .

The other £17000 has been paid by cheque and pt/ex.

I have never been given any notice of this until yesterday when i was suddenly advised that this was there policy from October last year , but it seems no one has advised customers of this.

This is a matter of principal and due notice of this should have been given and has not.

I am rapidly losing faith in the dealer over this and if he pursues the matter i will make sure i never use the dealer again for anything , i will take my custom elsewhere .

Why should the customer back down , i disagree with all of you who sugest i should as i have done no wrong , this is the fault of the dealer and i have told them so , but as yet i have received no reply .

As someone who sold cars for over 15 years and who handled huge sums of cash on a daily basis , i find this very very silly and petty .

Customers cannot and should not expect to be treated in this manner .

Gordon