New Skoda Yeti ready this week....but !

Gordon F

RESULT !

Just heard from my delare that they will not now penalise me over this matter .

My faith has been restored .

I will post pics of the yeti thursday or friday , i really cant wait !

Gordon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I did this all dealers ONLY accepted debit cards as there was no cost to them to pass on.

Actually there is a cost, but it is a fixed (and very low) price per transaction whereas credit card transactions cost the merchant a percentage of the transaction value. That's one reason why merchants prefer debit cards for large value transactions.

If you want to get the consumer protection benefits of using a credit card then you could ask the dealer if they will split the transaction between a debit card and a credit card. My understanding is that, under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, the card issuer is jointly liable with the merchant for the entire transaction, so long as the amount of the credit card part of the transaction is over £100 and the entire transaction is no more than £30K.

When I worked in a large dealership we would accept cash with no problems (this was before 2003 though). We would also have to take a minium of 2 people to the bank. Anything over £10k in cash would mean 3 aswell.

Glad you got it sorted I would have thought for £40 to the dealer vs loss of future business was a no brainer!

Why do you say that? It may have a better capital ratio than some/most of the other UK retail banks (I don't actually know whether it does) but at the end of the day they all work on fractional reserves. The RBSs and Lloyds of this world have already shown their losses and in fact some of their recent "obscene false profits" are coming from impaired assets (aka bad debts) which were accounted for as losses at the peak of the crisis and which are now actually generating a return.

In the first wave of the financial crisis, the Co-Op Bank was seen to be suffer less than other banks because, if I remember correctly, they did not mess around with derivatives and concentrated on the retail banking. Also, the Co-Op banks covered other Co-Op banks in the whole of Western Europe eg, one bank was starving of cash, others funded it and vice versa.

With regards to the big banks of the world, there is something called Off-Sheet Accounting/Shadow Banking. This, I understand, is where debts and the whole un-called bets/derivatives are hideen from the official accounts. The debts are packaged into bonds and sold to other banks and not counted in their debts! The derivatives related debts of all the big banks amounts to hundreds of trillions of pounds.

A BBC report by Robert Peston:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00xwsl5/Britains_Banks_Too_Big_to_Save/

Every so often, the big banks show a bit more debt whislt keeping the tax payers on the life-line and all the while paying themselves bonuses and claiming to be in profit! The government is too scared to change the system or they are being paid off. Either way, it's disgusting. We are becoming debt slaves to the banks. I aim to enjoy as much of the freedom we still have whilst we still have it.

Oh man, I need my Yeti ASAP... :)

In the first wave of the financial crisis, the Co-Op Bank was seen to be suffer less than other banks because, if I remember correctly, they did not mess around with derivatives and concentrated on the retail banking. Also, the Co-Op banks covered other Co-Op banks in the whole of Western Europe eg, one bank was starving of cash, others funded it and vice versa.

With regards to the big banks of the world, there is something called Off-Sheet Accounting/Shadow Banking. This, I understand, is where debts and the whole un-called bets/derivatives are hideen from the official accounts. The debts are packaged into bonds and sold to other banks and not counted in their debts! The derivatives related debts of all the big banks amounts to hundreds of trillions of pounds.

A BBC report by Robert Peston:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00xwsl5/Britains_Banks_Too_Big_to_Save/

Every so often, the big banks show a bit more debt whislt keeping the tax payers on the life-line and all the while paying themselves bonuses and claiming to be in profit! The government is too scared to change the system or they are being paid off. Either way, it's disgusting. We are becoming debt slaves to the banks. I aim to enjoy as much of the freedom we still have whilst we still have it.

Oh man, I need my Yeti ASAP... :)

Very informative piece, thanks, Your last sentence" I aim to enjoy as much of the freedom we still have whilst we still have it. " How do you see the near future?

Edited by mellyboy

Very informative piece, thanks, Your last sentence" I aim to enjoy as much of the freedom we still have whilst we still have it. " How do you see the near future?

Well, because we bailed out and continue to bail out bankrupt banks with trillions of off-balance debt, our currency will continue to decline in value which makes imports more expensive, so our fuel and foods costs will continue to go up. This means we won't be able to justify the money for fuel for fun journeys before too long. As I type, the pound is tanking a bit against other currencies. Hmm... how many minutes do you think it will take the fuel stations to justify a hike in price?

I don't mean to be gloomy. I just see pain ahead and want us all to enjoy the time we have.

The Yeti is one of our means to do that.

I am a big car fan and will prioritise money for fuel for the treks ahead.

Congratualtions to the original poster who in the end was not penalised for buying his Yeti with partial cash ! :)

Hi

I went today to see my new Skoda Yeti which will be ready on Thursday. I have paid the majority of the balance by cheque and i wanted to pay the remainder this Thursday in cash.

I have been told i will have to pay a charge of £10 / £1000 of cash i pay because of banking charges being levied on the dealer.

I have sent them an email to let them know what i think of this and that i refuse to pay this charge .

I spent 15 years in the car business and i heve never heard of anything so rediculous .

I know this will only amount to a small charge , but can i ask you all if you have come across this silly situation before at a skoda dealer ?

I have waited 5 patient months for the yeti as im sure many of you have also done and not once has this been said to me until today and even then by email after visiting the delar earlier today.

I would welcome your comments especially if you are connected with a skoda dealer.

Many thanks

Gordon

First of all congratulations on your new car coming on Thursday. Coincidentally, I am also due to pick up my new Yeti this Thursday. Like you I wanted to pay part cash / part debit card but my dealer is not willing to accept cash above £1000, so that will have to do. He isn't however charging me a tenner to do so!

Well, because we bailed out and continue to bail out bankrupt banks with trillions of off-balance debt, our currency will continue to decline in value which makes imports more expensive, so our fuel and foods costs will continue to go up. This means we won't be able to justify the money for fuel for fun journeys before too long. As I type, the pound is tanking a bit against other currencies. Hmm... how many minutes do you think it will take the fuel stations to justify a hike in price?

I don't mean to be gloomy. I just see pain ahead and want us all to enjoy the time we have.

The Yeti is one of our means to do that.

I am a big car fan and will prioritise money for fuel for the treks ahead.

Congratualtions to the original poster who in the end was not penalised for buying his Yeti with partial cash ! :)

thanks , I think see civil unrest coming soon as well. Enjoy your Yeti couldn't be better " best car in the world"

I am totally with you mellyboy, it is not illegal to spend your own cash and should not be illegal to spend more than 6000 pounds in saved cash!

Goodness me, when banks are bankrupt and quite probably unsafe to store ones cash, what a cheek for the government to be controlled by the banks to the point of limiting the citizens to the amount of cash they can spend on items! They are almost making life impossible without reliant use of a private corrupt bank !

The Co-operative Bank appears to be one of the very few safe ones out there if the money show suddenly comes to an end and the off-balance sheet debts are called in.

Freedom appears to be increasingly lost and worse is the attitude of the people who call other silly for not wanting to use the banks.

I was thinking of buying a Yeti with cash, hmmm.... I see that won't be possible - wow, a debit card then... to save the private banks some money despite their obscene false profits!

Rant over! :)

The point is "Newbie" states that he has already paid the bulk of his invoice by cheque and p/ex which obviously means that he has complete faith in his bank and fully uses its facilities anyway. So I still maintain that it is pure folly to store and transport large amounts of cash when there are safer and more convenient payment methods available, after all, we are apparently, whether you like it or not, living in an age of technological advance.

You are also misguided in your statement which refers to the government impacting a cap on a citizens choice of cash disposal limits. This is in fact a piece of legislation called " The Money Laundering Regulations 2007" they were implemented to counter the proceeds of organised crime and terrorist funding and are mainly governed by "The Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001" and "The Proceeds of Crime Act 2002" this was designed to make society a safer place not to impose, as suggested, draconian conditions regarding the use of "Cash" by law abiding citizens.

Hi,

Both myself and my dealer, Grey Gables, very happy to pay the full whack by debit card. Coop Bank, or in my case 'smile, the internet bank' very helpful. E mail to tell them what i'm paying, what it's for and when. No probs, just a nice reply wishing me well with my new car.

Now that is customer service.

Chris.

Sounds like the dinosaurs I used to work with in the 80s who demanded their right to receive a cheque for their wages instead of their a/c being credited. Nobody still uses cash in those amounts surely - what on earth is the point (apart from enabling an attack of righteous indignation when dealer says no )? Maybe I hang around with the wrong crowd.

I was behind you 100%, Gordon. It would have left a very bad taste in my mouth too! I believe I'm correct in saying that had you placed your order before their October policy change, then they would have been in breach of contract had they made no earlier notice to you. Anyway, glad it has been resolved. You are a very generous man, though: the fact that they tried it, would only have demonstrated to me a poor attitude to customer relations.

Incidentally, in France it is not permissible to make a purchase in cash greater than 3000 Euros... yes, for money laundering rules. Lot of difference between 6K Sterling and 3K Euros though, eh?

Sounds like the dinosaurs I used to work with in the 80s who demanded their right to receive a cheque for their wages instead of their a/c being credited. Nobody still uses cash in those amounts surely - what on earth is the point (apart from enabling an attack of righteous indignation when dealer says no )? Maybe I hang around with the wrong crowd.

I work for a medium sized ltd company.Myself and my co-workers get paid weekly by cash, always in £10 notes, with tax deductions,no national insurance to pay though as I'm over 65.

Also when I ordered my Yeti which was late on Dec 31st I had to pay £1000 deposit,never paid more than £200 deposit on any previous vehicles .

Says on my dealer order, can pay cash up to £5000 (must be during office hours) no mention of extra payment.

He was a truck dealer. They'd collected two trucks. First truck had a front wheel puncture, they set about changing it on hard shoulder.

Both mowed down by another truck.

Tragic. Lovely guy. Intensely proud of and devoted to his family.

Rocked us to learn of his death.

Disgusted that your company is prepared to put staff lives in danger when banking large sums of money , when you should use a cash in transit company , having done this job I am well aware of the dangers. You seem to have no regard to the dangerous situation you are placing your staff in , your only problem seems to be they are not doing the job they are paid for. I sincerely hope that they are not attacked, believe even me with training for the job not nice, could even end up dead, please think about this

.........Which is why we do everything possible to discourage customers paying for cars with cash.

And back the hell off, I think you'll find I said 'the company I work for" not "my company". Is it not possible that someone could be attacked when going to the bank with a few cheques too, or do muggers ask if you've got cash first?.....

.........Which is why we do everything possible to discourage customers paying for cars with cash.

And back the hell off, I think you'll find I said 'the company I work for" not "my company". Is it not possible that someone could be attacked when going to the bank with a few cheques too, or do muggers ask if you've got cash first?.....

Sorry if you took offence, I use to collect cash from several large car dealers, and don't you agree that it would be safer to use a cash in transit company to transfer monies from the company you work for than send staff, companies use CIT as they have a " DUTY OF CARE" to their employes and to avoid implications if they are attacked. Once again sorry if I came across a bit heavy sincerly hope your colleagues have no problems with cash drops.

Edited by mellyboy

Been away for a couple of days so have only just seen this thread. Like many others, I don't understand why anyone would want to carry a large amount of cash around - use a cheque or a debit card and 'problem' solved.

Been away for a couple of days so have only just seen this thread. Like many others, I don't understand why anyone would want to carry a large amount of cash around - use a cheque or a debit card and 'problem' solved.

+ 1 :thumbup:

He was a truck dealer. They'd collected two trucks. First truck had a front wheel puncture, they set about changing it on hard shoulder.

Both mowed down by another truck.

Tragic. Lovely guy. Intensely proud of and devoted to his family.

Rocked us to learn of his death.

That's tragic.

Just goes to show the perils of being stranded on a motorway.

I very much hope that I am never in a position where I need to change an off-side wheel from the hard shoulder.

That's tragic.

Just goes to show the perils of being stranded on a motorway.

I very much hope that I am never in a position where I need to change an off-side wheel from the hard shoulder.

That is why one should never do it. Get as far from your car as possible, hazard lights on and phone the Skoda Assistance or whatever to come and help. I'd rather wait hours for them and come out of it alive than try and do and myself and perhaps not make it... The motorway hard shoulder is one of the most dangerous places one can be.

But even so this is a tragic story...

Sorry wrong thread but have to say,

Used to work on motorways quite often and lost a few people to dangerous driving.

Always try to get to a place of safety, even the off slip is better than the hard shoulder.

Use the motorway phone not a mobile. if you phone Skoda assist they will not automatically tell the Police you are there. Using the motorway phone tells the Police you are there and if a patrol car is available they will provide back up for you. The arrow on the marker post tells you which way is the nearest phone.

Get as far away from the car as you can away from the motorway and still be able to see it.

Sorry wrong thread but have to say,

Used to work on motorways quite often and lost a few people to dangerous driving.

Always try to get to a place of safety, even the off slip is better than the hard shoulder.

Use the motorway phone not a mobile. if you phone Skoda assist they will not automatically tell the Police you are there. Using the motorway phone tells the Police you are there and if a patrol car is available they will provide back up for you. The arrow on the marker post tells you which way is the nearest phone.

Get as far away from the car as you can away from the motorway and still be able to see it.

Very good advice thanks . Skoda asist will change a wheel on a caravan as well, when I asked them about if they did this ,they said NEVER change a wheel on a motorway yourself , I do have warning triangles, and four Hi Viz jackets, seems crazy that they are not compulsory as they are most of Europe

Nope, because like any company they will charge you to use a credit card (normally this charge is just hidden in the price on the item hence you don't see it). Which will be MORE than the £40 mentioned. When I did this all dealers ONLY accepted debit cards as there was no cost to them to pass on.

I bought a Fabia from a dealer 7 years ago and used a credit card for the £13000 as it gave lots of points to me. When buying the Yeti a few months ago I asked the dealer if I could do the same this time but he refused! I did use a debit card but I tend to side with the OP here and cash should be quite acceptable - still legal tender I believe!!