Looking to buy Felecia

I used to have a 1.9D on a R plate. Apart from a bit of a rust and a sticking front brake guide pin it just chugged its way through life quite happily. Slow, but it got there!

The 1.3 is the engine to go for; the 1.6 has a much worse mpg, needs regular cam belt changes and has a barely noticeable increase in power over the 1.3.

The 1.9 diesel is a slug, makes the nose of the car far too heavy, giving it really bad handling; and doesnt actually give that much of a mpg boost over the 1.3 either.

(Apologies to 1.6 and 1.9D drivers, but the truth is the truth)

The 1.3 is the engine to go for; the 1.6 has a much worse mpg, needs regular cam belt changes and has a barely noticeable increase in power over the 1.3.

(Apologies to 1.6 and 1.9D drivers, but the truth is the truth)

The 1.3 needs even more regular valve clearance adjustment, is loud and buzzy, and whilst it may only have 7bhp less than the 1.6 on paper, you have to rev the crap out of it to get that, whereas the 1.6 has loads more torque and a much more even power delivery, which you really notice when the car's loaded up. Having experienced both the 'truth' is that the 1.6 works well in the Felicia. Sorry to disappoint you ;)

Ive previously had two cars which broke their cam belts,one cost me £1000 odd to repair,I scrapped the next at a cost of £1000 approx.I didnt have that sort of money.

They really smashed the engines when they broke. :'(

One was a vw diesel (the cambelt was not old),the other a 1.5 diesel AX.

Make sure your cam belt is a good one or ..

Glad I got my 1.3L felicia.

I never want to see another cam belted engine in my possession. :wonder:

Thank god for the cam CHAIN on my frugal, reliable1.3. :)

The number of production years just shows how good it is. :thumbup:

Go for the 1.3 :smirk::thumbup:

Edited by iansmith

^^ you can get a cambelt kit for a 1.6 for about £40 from gsf :wonder: couple of hours with the car propped up on old haynes manuals and bobs your uncle :thumbup:

the 1.6 engine is far more refined than the 1.3 engines.

another vote for the 1.3, great engine! Had one and the only issue I had was the alternator went.

If you can get one with power steering otherwise its slightly heavy, put no worse than most no PAS cars (lighter than my mk4 polo was)

the 1.6 engine is far more refined than the 1.3 engines.

Never experienced the 1.6 but with the 1.3 design dating back to the sixties or possibly earlier, it is really surprising it lasted as long in production as into the Fabia 1.4 mpi, only being phased out due to EU emissions regulations.

Having owned a 1.3 I do rate it, but have had little to compare it with. For my next car I'd probably be looking for a diesel lump.

Edited by anewman

...dating back to the sixties or possibly earlier...

1964, in the back of the 1000MB, to be exact. The 135/136 variants with the 8-port alloy head came in around 1988. It's an excellent little engine indeed, it's just not 'better' than modern designs ;)

Having owned both - I rate them both too! Don't want to upset anyone! :giggle: To be honest you do have to rev the nuts of the 1.3 to make it move. The 1.6 is much more fun without having to thrash it. MPG wise I got about the same from either 1.3 or 1.6. I guess it depends on driving style. Out of the 1.3 I had the SPi in the Favorit and MPi in the Felicia. The MPi is definitely quicker!