Split vacuum hose to brake servo

mbames

While on my continued quest as for why my car never works properly.... I was looking for vacuum related problems, and I found this....

P1000901.JPG

From what I can see this the pipe which provides vacuum to the brake servo. I guess I should replace it, but are there any suitable bodges I can can do in the mean time? Currently I have wrapped it up in insulation tape and popped a couple of jubilee clips on the end to keep it in shape.

Wasn't there a recall a few years back to replace the vacuum hose to the servo on all of the MkIV type vehicles?

Perhaps yours has missed out on it?

This one;

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=6FC3E486C032E8D500256CDA0045B061&freeText=Blank&tx=

Have you got any other bigger hose that you could slide over the top and clamp on until you get it replaced?

Edited by ExAudiSi

I think I have heard of that recall elsewhere - maybe Honest John's website. My car is a bit too new to fall inside that build window I think (registered Y/01). I can't match up the chassis numbers either. Maybe I'll phone my local stealer in the morning and see if I can talk them into replacing it under that vehicle recall. B)

I don't have any suitable hose at home, maybe I'll see if I can blag some pipe from work.... they must have something knocking about, it is an airfield after all :giggle: Maybe I could borrow something from one of the planes :p I did wonder if a few layers of heat-shrink would do the job.

Still the old bag of spanners will have to do a good few miles (500-600) between now and me fixing it properly.

Thats a common fault mate.

I just cut the end of the pipe off mine and used some Samco silicone hose and few clips to join it back together again.

In an ideal world the above repair should have had a metal insert put into the inside of the plastic pipe to elliminate the possibility of the pipe being crushed when the clips are tightened, it its been OK for at least 3 years now.

The VOSA recall is interesting.......but it appears to for cars built between 1998 and 1999 ???

Bill.

I just cut the end of the pipe off mine and used some Samco silicone hose and few clips to join it back together again.

If I cut mine off after the split there would not be much pipe left :rofl:

In an ideal world the above repair should have had a metal insert put into the inside of the plastic pipe to elliminate the possibility of the pipe being crushed when the clips are tightened, it its been OK for at least 3 years now.

I thought about that when I was "nipping" the jubilee clips up, did not want to go breaking any more plastic

The VOSA recall is interesting.......but it appears to for cars built between 1998 and 1999 ???

It seems to be the pre-face lift Mk 1 I guess....

What is an Octy Limo:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=3D450FE5B623764C00256C560052F5A0&freeText=Blank&tx=

This one sounds quite funny too (although a bit dangerous):

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=B86ED30248824F0E8025765C0031A74F&freeText=Blank&tx=

Edited by mbames

If you think thats funny, you should have a look at some of the recalls for Citroen C3s, including "Front axle may become detached!" :wonder:

Now that is funny, I did not realise French cars came with useful body parts like Axles, or engines! :rofl::D :p

Well the drive to work proved to be good.... I accidently overtook a few slower moving vehicles and I avoided all the wildlife (fox and a deer), so all in all, a reasonable result. Guess I had better fix it properly now :wonder:

• 4 years later...