Danish 1.8 TSI DSG standard with Hill-Hold?

I have the intention to buy a Superb Combi in Denmark with 1.8 TSI DSG. However, no Danish dealer seams to know whether this version is equiped with Hill-Hold as standard. Are there any Danish drivers here who can tell me whether this motor/gearbox combination has Hill-Hold in Denmark? :S

Have you tried checking the spec sheet on skoda.dk, it lists prices etc and should also list what is standard.

Yes, in this document it is listed as standard, however my importer (who has it listed as an option) told me he phoned a couple of dealers in Denmark about this hill-hold option, and none of them could give him a definitive answer.

So I thought I would look for people who actually own a Superb 1.8 TSI DSG. They should be able to tell me first-hand whether it is there or not.

When I went to Denmark a few years ago the nearest to a hill I saw was when the road crossed the railway by bridge, and therefore had to climb about 15-20ft. Otherwise it looked completely flat. Admitedly I only travelled from Copenhagen to Odense and back

I have a S2 1.8TSI DSG from Denmark. It does not have hill hold but hill assistant which means that if you stopped in a little steeper hill it will brake for a few seconds after you release break. Quite usable, no issue with it and no need for real hill hold.

Hill Hold is for manual transmissions. No need for it on DSG.

See the post by TankDave above.

DSG transmissions will allow the car to roll back, once the slope exceeds 4 or 5 degrees, therefore it's as useful an accessory on this type as on manual transmissions. I have it on mine (a fortunate mistake by the dealer that I didn't pay for) and I wouldn't be without it. I also have it on my other car, but with a shorter delay before brake release. I'd say the Superb's got it just right.

Ray

Hill Hold is for manual transmissions. No need for it on DSG.

How is that?

My dealer told me that since DSG is the closest thing you'll get to a manual transmission in the "automatic world" it doesn't hold the car for more than a couple of seconds in a hill when brakes are not used in "D" like a regular automatic transmission would do. He also told me that the Hill-Hold system works directly on the brakes, and not on the transmission. Is he wrong or did just just screw me for the extra cash it costed? :doh:

How will this system work on a manual transmission?

My dealer told me that since DSG is the closest thing you'll get to a manual transmission in the "automatic world" it doesn't hold the car for more than a couple of seconds in a hill when brakes are not used in "D" like a regular automatic transmission would do. He also told me that the Hill-Hold system works directly on the brakes, and not on the transmission. Is he wrong or did just just screw me for the extra cash it costed? :doh:

How will this system work on a manual transmission?

When the brakes are used on a car with DSG, the clutches are disengaged when stationary. On the flat, you can just release the brake and accelerate away. When on a slope <4 degrees, the weight of the car will overcome the transmission on tick-over and it will roll back. Having Hill Hold means that the brakes are held on for two seconds, or until the car moves forwards (whichever is the sooner), giving the driver time to accelerate away without rolling back. Using the handbrake on a DSG transmission is only possible if the car is put into neutral, because once the footbrake is released, the transmission is engaged and will, therefore, strain against the handbrake, wearing out the clutches.

On a manual car, using the handbrake on a hill is better practice than holding on the footbrake, but if you try to pull away by jumping your foot from brake to accelerator as well as co-ordinating a smooth clutch engagement, the likelihood is that the car will roll back, unless you use the handbrake or you have hill hold. Does that help to clarify things? Your dealer was correct. :)

Ray

Edited by Argee

Good explaination, except that it is possible to use the handbrake in "D" etc and not just "N", on a DSG equipt car without the hill-hold option, but your correct about it pulling against the brake as the rear will squat quite a bit if you do this.

Hill starts with DSG can be tricky, so IMO the "hill-start" option is well worth getting.

Edited by Tankdave

Good explaination, except that it is possible to use the handbrake in "D" etc and not just "N", but your correct about it pulling against the brake as the rear will squat quite a bit if you do this.

Hill starts with DSG can be tricky, so IMO the "hill-start" option is well worth getting.

I asked my dealer about this last week as I had been reading about hill-hold being expected, but missing on delivery.

I have a 140hp DSG 4x4 on order. He told me that hill--hold isn't available in diesel DSG cars because of car creep. I asked about starting on a steep hill and if the weight of the car would be too much for the partially engaged clutch, and he just repeated himself saying it wasn't available. So I really don't know.

I guess I'll have to wait will June when I get the car

............ He told me that hill--hold isn't available in diesel DSG cars because of car creep. I asked about starting on a steep hill and if the weight of the car would be too much for the partially engaged clutch, and he just repeated himself saying it wasn't available.

Another dealer that hasn't got a clue what he's talking about! :wonder:

Another dealer that hasn't got a clue what he's talking about! :wonder:

I don't know. While I was deciding to buy the car, I spent a lot of time in and out of the showroom to talk to him, and generally I found him to be one of the best dealers I have ever met when looking at cars.

It's just on this one point that he has left me wondering...

Left foot brake with a DSG = hill hold but then I have always left foot braked autos so it comes naturally to me. My son who races karts in which you have to left foot brake had enormous problems converting to right foot braking when driving a manual car and he left foot brakes when driving autos as well. So save yourself a heap of money and learn to left foot brake.

I have a S2 1.8TSI DSG from Denmark. It does not have hill hold but hill assistant which means that if you stopped in a little steeper hill it will brake for a few seconds after you release break. Quite usable, no issue with it and no need for real hill hold.

The superb uses the same system, its not a true hill hold.

I can assure you that you do need a hill hold on a DSG. I fought a long battle over this and eventually had my car replaced with one which had a hill hold fitted. I would not be without it.

The full story is still on this site.

• 5 months later...

Seems that dealers don't know the true position on this - James at Allam's certainly didn't as we even went out in my car to prove that Uphill Start Assist didn't appear to be fitted in the form expected. Skoda's chief engineer has emailed me to say that Uphill Start Assist is merely where it limits revs to 2500rpm.

I've posted elsewhere on this site but the brochure specifically says in the para about the Offroad button that the car will hold itself on a hill as you pull away - i.e. Hill Start Assist.

Yet this is not true. I now have a 1.8 Tsi SE 4x4 with Off road button and it doesn't hold itself on a hill.

So basically the brochure is fibbing and it doesn't do what it says at all - I've been told you need to specify the Hill Hold option, which is real big of them now i'm stuck with the car on finance.

Don't really know how Skoda get away with that brochure. It's full of contradictions and inaccuracies.

Left foot braking will still not stop a DSG car without any HH from rolling back, unless you use the handbrake.

You still have to take your foot "left or right" off the brake before the clutch will engage and it's not instantanious.

Handbrake, handbrake, handbrake, even if it is awkwardly placed on the wrong side of the car, it works.

Left foot braking will still not stop a DSG car without any HH from rolling back, unless you use the handbrake.

You still have to take your foot "left or right" off the brake before the clutch will engage and it's not instantanious.

Handbrake, handbrake, handbrake, even if it is awkwardly placed on the wrong side of the car, it works.

Not true - only in Launch control mode will the clutch not engage when you depress the accelerator. I do this now instead of the convential handbrake hill start.

Why you need hill hold is beyond me though.