Skoda v VW part numbers?

I am in need of a few parts for my Octavia estate (2007) and have been looking at part numbers for Skodas and for VW's but am a little unsure how much difference the last letter of the part code actually makes to what the item is.

For example:

The Octavia II part code for the drivers door lock mechanism is 3d2 837 016 J

While the VW Golf Mk V part code is 3d2 837 016 S.

As the Octavia is essentially a Golf, this does not surprise me. However, does the last letter signify any difference in the part itself and will one part swap directly with the other.

In other words, can I fit the VW part (code as above) to my Octavia II estate?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

The last letter usually means a revision of the part. It runs alphabetically. So the later the revised part the further up the alphabet the last letter is. Should be the same part though

Hi

The last letter usually means a revision of the part. It runs alphabetically. So the later the revised part the further up the alphabet the last letter is. Should be the same part though

Yes and no!!!! The last letters can signify a colour, or it can be a revised part.

There can also be a very slight difference in the part.

In most cases though, the original will superseed to the new part number.

I can have a look on Monday for you, and see if it does if you want me too.

Chris

I ordered a part for my Snow monster, was supplied with a 'B' which was a raised boot floor. I wanted the standard boot floor which ended in a 'C'. related parts in some way - i.e both boot floors, both the same number, but completely different.

Mike

Parts with the same base number but different suffixes are related (in that they are functionally equivalent) but by no means necessarily interchangeable e.g. 6U2 957 031 A and 6U2 957 031 C are both speedos for a 1.3 Felicia, but one will not physically fit into a cluster designed for the other - earlier cars need the earlier part, later cars need the later part.

BTW to clarify one of the earlier comments, colour options, where relevant, are specified with an additional 3-character code after the part number and revision suffix.

Parts with the same base number but different suffixes are related (in that they are functionally equivalent) but by no means necessarily interchangeable e.g. 6U2 957 031 A and 6U2 957 031 C are both speedos for a 1.3 Felicia, but one will not physically fit into a cluster designed for the other - earlier cars need the earlier part, later cars need the later part.

BTW to clarify one of the earlier comments, colour options, where relevant, are specified with an additional 3-character code after the part number and revision suffix.

That is true the part number ends with a GRU for primed ready to be painted and 9B9 for black#As has been said , there are so many options , that I would not , unless I knew for sure it was a superceeded part number , then yes , it just means they have made the old part better (hopefully) LOL

To take a guess on it , no sorry

Sarah

The Golf Mk V ran from 2003-2009 and the Octavia II from 2004 to present, so the revision concept is theoretically possible (mine being a 2007 Octavia II).

Radioone / Chris: if you could check this specific parts compatibility that would be most helpful.

I have had a look on EKTA, which is where I got the part codes from, and the amount of information available for the Skoda (rev. J) suggests that it has more functionality than the Golf (rev. S) as the Octavia part includes "4K3: Radio remote central locking operated from inside and safe securing". This is on top of "4F1: Central locking system".

Of course it may just be that the info wasn't listed on EKTA!

Reading the rest of the post (thanks everyone) it seems like a little caution needs to be exercised unless the full part codes are identical.

Does anyone know for certain whether the VW door lock (3D2 837 016 S) can be used as a direct replacement for the Skoda part (3D2 837 016 J) and whether the final letter signifies an 'upgrade' or or significant revision that renders it not useable as a replacement for the Skoda part.

I have been able to source a VW part at a very good price compared to the Skoda spares and want to know if I could use it or not.

Thanks.

Had a look at this today, and the number ending J is the part up to a certain date, then the S number takes over. I am 99% sure it will fit, and work just fine! but this is just my opinion, and if you take my advise, on your head be it. lol

Thanks for the advice. I will accept full responsibility...

I ended up getting the part replaced under warranty - so I do not know which new part was fitted. I should have asked...

• 1 year later...

On a similar vane (but looking at the first three characters), would these parts be exactly the same?

1Z5 035 552A (Skoda Octavia) and

5K0 035 552 A (Mk6 Golf)

Does the first three characters just signify the originating vehicle or is there another explanation and likely differences?