Citygate Skoda - Colindale

DGW

I can heartily recommend Citygate having bought my Yeti from them (ordered Aug '10 / delivered Jan '11). They were able to get pretty close to the Drive The Deal price and were courteous throughout the rather protracted 5 month wait from order to delivery. The collection experience was also painless. I haven't yet had any experience with their Servicing - will report back when I do.

Edited by yellowyeller

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty impressed with their pre-sales customer service so far - they've been very accommodating trying to satisfy my requests and constant questions.

Best result I've had so far is them getting the factory to agree to fit the electric folding mirrors to my vRS - which aren't actually on the options list for the vRS (but are in Europe, and of course standard on the L&K).

Still waiting for an answer on DAB compatibility of Columbus though (i.e. can it be easily upgraded (at reasonable cost) if UK gets round to switching off the analogue signal in 2015 as planned, as unlikely as that seems based on current DAB uptake).

Think I got a pretty good deal too.

Maurice Mendoza was my salesman, and has been my point of contact since ordering in Nov 10.

• 11 months later...

Just got my car back from Citygate in Chalfont after needing the warranty respray to the rear door and fitment of foil.

I dealt with Greg at the Collindale branch, very friendly and professional. Terry dealt with the respray aspect and again very professional and friendly.

Respray itself looks brilliant and they even went to trim the foil to fit my wheel arches which is brilliant.

Nothing serious, but only need to go back to have some more glue applied to one of the plastic wheel arch, but overall a very good job!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Took the car in for a service, everything was spot-on, recall part not available and offered to pick up the car from Central London for me!

Can't fault them on anything, car came back clean and given newspaper and tea! Great job.

Advisor (Jake) who dealt with me went out of his way to help, well done!

Edited by My_Yeti

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Went looking at used cars this morning with four dealers on the list.

Went in to the showroom of the first dealer and although busy a salesman came straight over to me to help, the car I had come to look at had be sold a couple of days before, he offered to find a similar vehicle from Skoda. So off the the next dealer, which was Citygate about 20 minutes away. Walk into the showroom and I wait a while, but no one comes to see what I want. Eventually I walk out to the car I come to see and have a look around it. The price in the windscreen is £490 more than the price on the Skoda website (I have the print out with me).

So off to Dealer No.3. I walk into the showroom and within a minute someone is attending to me, test drive within five minutes, deal done within an hour of my return.

It didn't appear to be that busy at Citygate and staff walked past me and never asked if they could help or was I being attended to etc. If they can't get the price of the vehicle correct on the car and website I wonder what else they get wrong. Not impressed

• 9 months later...

I thought I would share my experience of City Gate, Collindale.

Having eventually decided on the Octavia vRS as my replacement vehicle, I went off to City Gate to view the vRS for the fist time. This was in the first week of December. Got there and disappointed to find out that they did not have a vRS in the showroom. Got talking to the salesman, who advised that if I was really interested then they can get the vRS from their Watford branch to have a look and test drive it if I wanted to. Said I will consider and let them know.

As I was looking to purchase the car on PCP wanted to know how it all worked etc. I had a fair idea about PCP and wanted to get a quote to see what the monthly payment will be. Unfortunately they were unable to give me a quote and gave me a "rough idea" what the monthly payments will be based on my deposit. Went away somewhat sad that I did not get to see the car that I was looking forward to seeing.

A week later I phoned the salesman who initially saw me and informed him that I would like the test drive and that I would e-mail him with some dates that are convenient for me. Having e-mailed him the next day, did not hear back from him at all. 

If a dealership was not going to have the courtesy to respond to my inquiries, especially from someone interested in their cars, I certainly was not going to chase them. A few days later I made a trip to Trans City Car Center in Walthamstow. See separate post under Trans City in respect of my experience with them.

I'm from West London. Was looking for an auto Fabia in October 2013 on the web and CityGate - Watford had 2.

Called in and they were helpful. Car was for my daughter so, we both test drove one of them (cheaper of the 2 was £8K).

Agreed to purchase and collect following week.

Phone call couple of days later saying a fault had been found on the car and were not prepared to sell it but, we could have the dearer one for the same price.

Now into November, so test drove that other car. All seemed OK and still does.

Problem was/is they had a Yeti in the showroom, which they have agreed to sell to me in February. I counting the days.

Will have to wait and see what the workshop service is like as and when needed. I presume all will be OK, if it isn't you will all hear about it. 

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone. 

I've just purchased a Skoda Superb from these people. I'm going to give these guys a chance to come good, but so far there's a few things I was not happy about. I arranged to buy an ex-demo model which was at Colindale, but greed to pick it up from the Watford branch. The salesman, Tim, had agreed to include 6 months tax, mats and a full tank of diesel both by phone and via email. When I checked the car, I noticed there was less than half a tank of fuel. Mentioned this to the salesman dealing with me, who went off to inquire, and returned to say that Tim denied agreeing to the full tank of fuel. I argued the case, and was told that they would not fill the tank but if I sent them a receipt for £40 of fuel they would reimburse me. I agreed to this warily and asked for them to put it in writing. 

I checked over the vehicle prior to purchase as best I could, as it was raining heavily and the vehicle was covered in water making it very difficult to accurately assess the bodywork. I noticed that the alloy wheels on one side had been curbed, one quite badly, so the salesman went to get one of the managers, Shawn, who said that they would pay for me to have the wheel refurbished. Again I requested this in writing, to which the manager said he would send me an email confirming this. I also noted the sunscreen had some marks which I insisted they clean off there and then, which they did. Needless to say no email has arrived. 

When I got home, I gave the vehicle a wash and discovered some quite nasty scratches around the boot area which had been hidden by the rain. I know they will probably say that's tough, as I should have checked the vehicle more carefully prior to purchase, but I have emailed them a photo of these asking if they will pay to have them attended to. I'm getting a quote for the alloys tomorrow, and will get a quote for the scratches at the same time. They have not replied to this email either. 

So at the moment, they could still come good and reimburse me the £40 for fuel, cover the cost of getting the badly curbed wheel refurbished, and maybe offer a contribution/pay to get the scratches around the boot sorted. However, the fact that they denied having agreed to the fuel, had not prepared the car to an acceptable standard and have not given me written confirmation of agreements makes me feel that I may end up out of pocket with these people. 

Will let you know how things progress.

Latest update. After a couple of unanswered emails, I approached one of the managers. He agreed to the cost of refurbishing the wheel without hesitation. Re: the scratches, he trotted out a predictable line that had the scratches been there when the vehicle was sold they would have been detected when the vehicle was inspected - although had the vehicle really been inspected properly I assume the curbed alloy wheel would have been detected as well as the marks on the interior trim! However as a "good will gesture", he agreed to pay half the cost of having the back bumper re-sprayed.

That's as good a result as I could have expected, so reasonably happy, although my point that the vehicle clearly was not checked over properly before sale remains. 

Other than that I have to say the car is great and I have thoroughly enjoyed driving to work in it this week, particularly when I look at how much better the fuel consumption is than in any car I have owned previously!

• 2 months later...

Update: Despite initially looking promising, Citygate Skoda have not reimbursed me for the work they agreed to pay for on the car. Two months have passed since they received the invoice, and they have not responded to two subsequent emails asking when payment might be expected. I think a written complaint is now needed with a mention of the small claims court. Will keep people updated, but it seems to me that they have no intention of honouring their promises. 

• 1 year later...

Apparently the sales side of Citygate Skoda is closing down at Colindale but service side still open. Nearest Citygate Skoda sales dept. will be in Watford.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

• 10 months later...

Citygate Colindale is now closed.

Citygate Watford is the sales base now.

My wife and I went to look at a Yeti there and had an appalling, pushy and quite aggressive salesman called 'MJ' try to sell us a car we clearly didn't want. I suspect he wanted to get rid of some stock. He repeatedly refused (or couldn't work out) the amount of interest we'd have to pay if we bought the second hand Yeti he wanted to sell us, I eventually had to work it out myself. As I suspected, it was only a few 100's of pounds more to order new on 0% finance and we'd have the car we wanted.

We left the dealership very clear that we were not going to buy anything from them. A great shame as 6 months before we'd popped in to look at a different car and been well treated by a different salesman.

I understand the 'MJ' has now left the business, but I'm afraid its not enough to make us go back.

We ended up at Willis Motors in Ruislip, who were very very much better.