5 hours labour for: Cam belt, springs, bushes..?

JLneonhug

Hello,

I went to my local mechanics which are normally quite friendly. I was asking for cam belt and water pump change, springs (yes, finally), and bushes changed. He hesitantly said it would take about 5 hours to do, he also said if I could get all the correct parts he would be happy to fit them in, which was nice.

Is the hours reasonable?

On a different topic, I've recently changed the grill, will get a pic up in a few mins, let me know what you think :thumbup: Im not 100% on it, but maybe it'll grow on me (I miss the retro badge :( ).

Thanks.

Cambelt and water pump will take about 2 hours for someone who's "in practice" with them.

Rear springs would take me about half an hour with access to a reasonable jack; fronts will take longer because you have to get the struts out, them remove the top mounts to get the springs out, so I'd say an hour for that.

Bushes - no idea, not least because you've not said which ones.

Cambelt and water pump will take about 2 hours for someone who's "in practice" with them.

Rear springs would take me about half an hour with access to a reasonable jack; fronts will take longer because you have to get the struts out, them remove the top mounts to get the springs out, so I'd say an hour for that.

Bushes - no idea, not least because you've not said which ones.

Apologies, I meant the console bush? The cupra ones which everyone says 'its the best mod to do'.

Edit: I literally got the part number from here and went to Seat to get a set, without fully knowing where it connects to, haha. My knowledge of suspension is still in the learning stages but im guessing it replaces the bush where it connects the aluminium arm?

Thanks!

Edit2:

Following on from the topic, I found the 'how to' of cambelt and water pump change..

Why does Eurocar parts say I require this one:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Fabia_1.9_2006/p/car-parts/car-cooling-parts-and-car-heating/cooling/water-pump-gasket/?201440981&1&8fe0f5485d17e48b870e110bc6b67cd5306e24b4&WATP

instead of the one shown on the how to link:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/94593-fabia-vrs-timing-belt-change-diy/

The 'how to' link has a big bulge to the left of the 'long support arm'? Whereas Eurocar parts one is flat. :S Any help would be great.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by JLneonhug

• 3 weeks later...

Lol, went back to the garage today and 'apparently' I misheard them. They said 5 hours to do the cam belt alone, and with all the other bits I wanted its going to take 15 hours..! :rofl: I walked straight out after I made him confirm what he said.

Lol, went back to the garage today and 'apparently' I misheard them. They said 5 hours to do the cam belt alone, and with all the other bits I wanted its going to take 15 hours..! :rofl: I walked straight out after I made him confirm what he said.

Lol, 5-6 hours is about reasonable to do cambelt (2hr), consoles (1.5hr) and all round springs (2hr). Maybe 15hrs is with the one armed slightly blind mechanic ;)

Your looking around £300 for the belt from a dealers. Around £180 for the console bushes from an independent garage. I paid £140 for springs/damper change many years back so must have gone up since then.

Ken....you have obviously never actually changed a cam belt and water pump on a PD engine.

To do the job properly ie time the crank to the camshaft and unit injectors using the correct tools, then 5 hours is not that bad.

Even if the belt and pump were done the "cowboy methed" using tipex, paint etc I dont think it could be done in two hours.

Bill.

Ken....you have obviously never actually changed a cam belt and water pump on a PD engine.

To do the job properly ie time the crank to the camshaft and unit injectors using the correct tools, then 5 hours is not that bad.

Even if the belt and pump were done the "cowboy methed" using tipex, paint etc I dont think it could be done in two hours.

Bill.

I was charged 2 1/2 hours labour for my cambelt and water pump change by a very well respected local independent. They even wash the car afterwards for you :)

I was charged 2 1/2 hours labour for my cambelt and water pump change by a very well respected local independent. They even wash the car afterwards for you :)

If you care about how your car performs....take the top timing belt cover off and check the camshaft pully and the backing plate for paint or tipex.

And if/When you find some....book your car back in to have the valve and PD injector timing adjusted.

Having said all the above, suppose they did wash your car at the end off the day :thumbup: Which in a way sort of compensates for you driving around for the next 4 years/60K with the timing out.

:giggle:

Bill.

Edited by vrs180

• 2 months later...

If you care about how your car performs....take the top timing belt cover off and check the camshaft pully and the backing plate for paint or tipex.

And if/When you find some....book your car back in to have the valve and PD injector timing adjusted.

Having said all the above, suppose they did wash your car at the end off the day :thumbup: Which in a way sort of compensates for you driving around for the next 4 years/60K with the timing out.

:giggle:

Bill.

How can you tell if the timing is out after you have had the job done, I mean, what would be the symptoms? The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to have mine done soon. Was quoted £270 for cambelt kit & pump.