Scratch removal

philpix

I have a couple of stone chips and a scratch on the bonnet and wing.

Any ideas of the best way to mend the problem.

I've tried to polish them out but still showing.

Phil

I'm really not an expert but I read the following on the web.

1 .wash area with alcohol or similiar to remove any wax and dirt

2. do not use the brushes that usually come with a paint reparation kit;

3. instead use a toothpick and add paint, layer for layer, untill a desired thickness has been reached.

And I'll add use reading glasses or an enlarging glass and an extern light (look in your trunk!)

I actually managed to make the damaged spots almost disappear!

Good luck

I had 3 new scratches on the bonnet just yesterday, same rock I think?, this adds to a few already there.

My Superb has a rock magnet for a bonnet :'( , in 4k miles I have more marks than I accumalated in 45k in my Mondeo. I don't know if the paint is rubbish or it's the state of the crumbling roads, or perhaps its both?

As for the chips, due to the weather I've only had time to fill them with paint so far, but it needed doing to keep the poxy salt out. I agree with the toothpick, but you can use a fine brush, I use a modellers dry-brush as they are very pointy.

For chips build up paint in layers to level above existing paint. Once dry use a good compound polish. This will cut into new paint but not existing to allow to level out paint blob to a good finish. The you can finish with a clear lacquer.

For scratch, it's hard to remove scratches by hand and with off the shelf polishes. Also, some off the sheld polishes have lots of fillers, so scratch can look better at first, but after a few weeks it will be more noticeable.

If you don't have the kit, the best thing to do is take it to a detailer to fix. If not buy/borrow a machine, decent pads and a good quality polish/s.

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi!

First month, first scratch: Rear bumper, 30 cm long, couple of mm wide, down to the black plastic. Ouch! :@:wall::heartbreak: :'(

To that add friendly car neighbors leaving their door marks on my car when they open their doors to much. Of course this all most never happened to my old car. I'm gonna get this fixed at a paint shop but just this time! Next one I'll have to live with... But is such a (pick your own word/words here) to have this on a new car, just one month old...

/Superbjoser

I have a couple of stone chips and a scratch on the bonnet and wing.

Any ideas of the best way to mend the problem.

I've tried to polish them out but still showing.

Phil

Phil

I think the best way is to have it properly 'repaired' - I know a really good chap who's done many miracle for my old man's Rav4 and he's very reasonable - let me know if you want his detials - send me a PM!

Regards

If you can post up a good close up pic of the scratch we could tell you if you can DIY.

As for the stone chips, to save yourself a fortune, get the lipstick sized paint from skoda and clear laquer and a pin/toothpick.

In the stone chips clean them and then dab little small spots of paint in the chip unitl its filled. When its dry and hard rub it down with fine wet and dry paper, then give it a dab of the clear stuff. then polish to a shine.

Bear in mind this is only for small stone chips, of 1-3 mm at most.