Been offered a skoda octavia

Sorry folks, not sure if this is in the right section, if not could a moderator move it to the correct section?

Anyway, hi, my name is Barry and have recently been offered a SKODA OCTAVIA 2003-2004 Diesel 1.9L Manual 5 doors CLASSIC TDI.

Its an ex-taxi, a 55 plate, and has done slightly over 190,000 miles, and owned by my father in law.

It has had 2 owners, he has owned it for 3 years with no MAJOR faults.

Although I have driven a skoda before, my last car was a Renault Megane and got robbed, so treading very carefully.

My worry is the miles, it certainly appears to be a lot of miles for a car relatively young, taxi or not, not sure if I should go for it or not?

To be fair, it is in MINT condition, like I said, just worried about the miles.

that mileage isn't that bad,mine is now on 192.000 and still running well, the things you have to watch out for are sticky vanes in the turbo, cambelt changes done? clutch? and general servicing, as it been owned by your father in law im sure you can easily find out this kind of service history, these engine do go on for a long time providing that they are properly looked after!

Take a look on the thread: So what mileage have you got from your Superb? thread, and you will see some serious mileages on there - the highest being over twice the mileage of your father in laws car.

Depending on it's service history it could go on for many more years, however you have not mentioned a price, there will be a few things that will kill the value of the car:

the mileage,

being an ex taxi,

the fact it is a base model car

But providing it is dirt cheap, (as in almost being given away) then I can see no reason why not to buy it providing you accept that it will be almost unsaleable in the future.

Is the classic 2003 TDI a 90 or 110, or will that be a PD engine?

My 110TDI (non-PD) is on 178k and going ok, apart from the turbo vanes (self-sorted). If you are prepared to do servicing and change any bits on it as they break/wear out then it should be fine. However if your start having to shell out to a garage you may find the high miles will hurt as things will be that bit more worn out.

Edited by mbames

Take a look on the thread: So what mileage have you got from your Superb? thread, and you will see some serious mileages on there - the highest being over twice the mileage of your father in laws car.

Depending on it's service history it could go on for many more years, however you have not mentioned a price, there will be a few things that will kill the value of the car:

the mileage,

being an ex taxi,

the fact it is a base model car

But providing it is dirt cheap, (as in almost being given away) then I can see no reason why not to buy it providing you accept that it will be almost unsaleable in the future.

Seem to remember there was someone with a Mark 1 Octavia TDI on here with 392,000 on the clock. I'll see if i can find the post.

EDIT- It's here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/179612-how-long-can-she-keep-going/

435,000 miles

Edited by lumac999

Seem to remember there was someone with a Mark 1 Octavia TDI on here with 392,000 on the clock. I'll see if i can find the post.

Yes that was markieboy (post #33)

EDIT- It's here:

http://briskoda.net/...she-keep-going/

435,000 miles

Ohh missed that one ....proves they can do starship mileage when they are looked after :thumbup:

Edited by Gizmo68

190,000 miles isn't that much for a diesel. I know that Mercedes diesels, if well maintained could go over 600,000 miles. As them being most "high mileage capable" after Mercedes diesel, in these terms goes TDI's. I think that TDI's are just genius piece of engineering and I could call them best diesel engine sever produced.

If that Skoda has full service history and strict oil changes I reckon the engine could do up to like 400,000 miles with no rebuilds.

And important thing, you should check the state of clutch due the fact that the car was used as a taxi.

If the interior and the exterior is in mint condition. You should go for it. Feel of a base model can always be changed by putting nice alloys on :)

I know of taxis that have gone over 500_000 miles with just servicing, so 192k is nothing per se.

The lower spec Classic trim has its points; not least having fewer electric motors and electronnicy bits to go wrong.

I know of taxis that have gone over 500_000 miles with just servicing, so 192k is nothing per se.

The lower spec Classic trim has its points; not least having fewer electric motors and electronnicy bits to go wrong.

yeh- less electronic bits to go wrong= good idea :yes: -spent the best part of two weeks sorting out multiple central locking issues (still havnt got if fully sorted :( ) replaced window regulators.. and various other electrical gremlins.. :S

if it drives nice- no unusual knocks and bangs :( had regular servicing and cambelt changes- i would personaly go for it (price dependant..) ive always driven ford/peugeot diesels and can honestly say my mk1 octy 1.9tdi 110 is the best ive ever had- it goes like a rocket and is easy on the fuel front A+ B)

I see there is a mention of peugeot's

My first ever Car a Pug 1.4 XSi 100bhp was crushed by the police but died with 212,000miles on the clock, the last 40,000mile where done when the car was putting out 144bhp with a highly tuned top end and chassis work. and that was a petrol.

My advice is go for it but only if it's less than £2000