Fabia VRS problems

Lee Thomas

Hi fellow Fabia owners, just a couple of problems.

1.) Intermittent wiper doesn't work at all.

2.) Hazards don't flash when locking the car.

3.) Alarm has gone off twice since I've had it home.

I understand from searching the forum that these problems are probably linked but I'm not really sure where to start with regards to fixing the problems. Any advice would be much appreciated, as I'm new to all of this!

Thanks in advance,

Lee

I've read about the bonnet sensors a couple of times now but can't seem to find if it's an easy fix or expensive job? Cheers for the heads-up on the sticky, must remember to open my eyes better lol

Well just been outside and sprayed the whole bonnet latch mechanism with a ****e load of protective lube, and the hazards flashed on locking so hopefully problem solved/masked for a bit! Thanks for the help guys

A simple diagnostic test would indicate if it's the bonnet connector, i recommend booking it into a skoda dealership for diag. Also whilst it may temportarily be working the chances are it's an intermittent problem and it'll happen again sporadically. IT's a simple plug and play block connector which when unplugged (or has high resistance to) cuts out washer jets and wipers and the indicators when locking.

Edited by AshCooper

Update, more problems....

The hazards now flash and intermittent wipers work but alarm is still going off.

The key has stopped working so I'm hoping this is a simple battery job?

Took it to have the tracking and alignment done, started the job and the lasers were everywhere, tracked it so they are bang on job done! NOT. Took it back out and the steering wheel is still well of centre when driving straight! If it's not the tracking what can it be??

A fault code scan should point to why the alarm is triggering. I think that if the amount of times the indicators flash is meant to releal what set the alarm off. Ie, when you silence it you'll get 3 flashes for the doors forced, 7 for interior sensor etc. Might be worth a google, as I'm not 100% on that.

Most Fabia's seem to pull to the left slightly, try driving in the other lane (so 'oncoming) when safe to do so, see what it does there. It's a common thing, but I'm not sure how severe it is usually as mine tracked straight once I fixed the suspension bushes which failed.

Mine pulls to the right lol I think the camber is out on the front nearside could this contribute? Also the car has had new bearings on front and rear nearside, again could this effect anything?

Car pulling to one side or the other is most often tracking but can equally be unmatched tyres, you'd be very surprised the difference it can make.

On a more Fabia specific note, mine seems very sensitive to the camber of the road and drifts accordingly.

I got a set of UniRoyals fitted recently, and it started pulling instantly. Got it tracked and it's fine, but still pulls. The garage found the gap between the tyre and the front of the door is smaller on one side than the other (showed me what they were doing as it's a neighbour). At home we checked the wheel base and stuff, and the chassis is straight, so guessing the tyres are slightly different sizes. Swapped some around and it got a bit better, but still really annoying though.

Right......

Tracking has been checked again by a different indi' and it's spot on again (didn't have to adjust anything as it read perfect straight off) so the tracking is good. There is, however, a LARGE amount of positive camber on the front nearside. I've had a look at the top of the strut mount inside the engine bay and there seems to be an outline of where a washer was under the nut, but there's no washer there now. The nut also seems to be pushed tight up against the right hand side of the dome (as you look at it from the front of the car) Would this be the cause of the camber problem? Also is it just a job of jack up the car and loosen the nut, shift it straight and dog it back up?

• 4 weeks later...

Had a snapped spring, sorted that.

New problem, when turning right at above 25-30mph there is a scraping noise coming from the front offside wheel area. It's a weird scrape, on,off,on,off type noise. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So decided today was the day (given the top notch weather) to seal my rear doors. Ripped the door cards off in the normal fashion, imagine my surprise to see a ****eload of sealent and the door carriers bolted on!! :o Yet they were still letting water through like a shower head.

So cut and pulled it off best I could, unbolted the carrier and used a full tube of sealant on the two rear doors :giggle: The car now sits lower at the back from the weight :rofl:

Good day all in all, apart from the pink spoiler returning and the paint being softer than my old Pug!

The car still scrapes when turning right at some speed, still don't know what it is and it's still driving me nuts.

Going to service the car next week too (all filters and oil).

Oh and got 300 miles to half a tank (non vented) on a run down to Devon, loving high mpg's :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Oh and please no one say camber lol I mean what problem?

Assuming standard suspension, worn bushes for rear axle pivot points. If car is lowered, normal, as camber is not adjustable (without a load of hassle anyway)