How to fit Audi TT/Porsche 996 Seats a Guide

TrevorB33

Basically the TT seats and the Porsche 996 seats are exactly the same bases so this guide will apply to either seat, unfortunately i couldnt find a set of 996 seats near to me at the time so got another set off tt Black leather seats, after i sold the red ones.

firstly remove the seat, for this you need a m10 bit on a socket or whatever, four bolts and the seat is out

DSCF0241.jpg

Basically the tunnel side of the new seats near enough bolts up, i had to slightly elongate the front hole on the seat runner but that was no biggie. the front bolt hole is slightly raised on the tt seats, all this means is that the front will be slightly higher then the back of the seat, if you dont want this you will have to remove the lug, but i left it there as when bolted down it doesnt move about and still has enough thread holding it on.

DSCF0242.jpg

then once i bolted in one side, now was the time to make a template for the door side as the runner is around inch and half shorter then the fabia runner, i made up a rough template with so cardboard, and made the two holes so i know where the bolts need to go,

DSCF0248.jpg

for the brackets i used 6mm steel plate very strong stuff an will easily take the weigh of the seat and the most portly of passengers,

DSCF0258.jpg

once you have done the brackets front and rear using the same method trial fit the whole lot together and make sure all the seat functions work, i.e full front to rear movement, and make sure the seat feels stable.

DSCF0257.jpg

DSCF0250.jpg

DSCF0249.jpg

then once thats all done onto the airbag wiring as the connector is different from the tt to fabia,

fabia wiring

DSCF0244.jpg

tt wiring

DSCF0245.jpg

so once you have lopped off the connector i simply fitted connectors onto the end of the wires and joined the wires together off the fabia wiring to the tt seats the wires should be connected as so

Brown to Brown

Black to Blue

Yellow to Black

its not recommended to solder these wires together as this can cause resistance related faults and bring your airbag light on, you have been warned,

thats it then once you have done that bolt it all up and repeat for the other side, once you have the brackets for one side the other is easy as you simply flip them upside down and use that as a template for the other. Simples!

DSCF0255.jpg

im gonna do the drivers side tommorrow, as im taking the brakcets to work to grind all the edges down and make them alot neater, then add a dab of black hammerite, so should look alot more neater then at the mo, any questions and comment welcome hope this is of help to people. ill get some finished pictures up when its done, if the hammerite brackets look naff i also have some cloth that i might cover them in, havent decided yet

DSCF0252.jpg

Edited by TrevorB33

Good job and cheaper than the price the guy that made mine quoted i bet

Hope the pics i sent helped a bit

Regards Whoosh :thumbup:

cheaper in that they cost me nothing lol, and yep your pictures made it a million times easier, only cause i was being lazy i would have been easier already having the brackets, cheers :thumbup: do your seats still have the angled edge on the front runner or were they chopped off?

Does anyone think it would be possible to somehow fit the TT rear seats to the fabia? I know it would make it a four seater but it would really just be for cosmetics, as I rarely have people in the back!

It's just, I like the idea of putting in TT seats but if you'd then have to get the rears re-trimmed to match you may as well just get the whole lot done in something really cool:p

Si :p

PS great guide :thumbup: didn't think the brackets would be easily makeable as some people have paid fabricators lots of money to make them lol

Edited by sydoggkdy

Looks really nice!

I do have one slight concern though, those 6mm steel plates. is that what the people who make brackets out do normally? Im no structural engineer but im just worried if any emergency braking etc happened the seats may fly out the front window, possibly with the person in it. To me, it looks like it could have something more structurally sound there, a frame or some sort.. :S

edit: on thinking about that a little more, maybe a better idea is to have a one piece plate rather than two piece, as current set up will make it prone to pivoting.

Edited by JLneonhug

I have to say I'd like to know if that would pass an MOT if the tester spotted it. I'd like to think the seats are anchored down to strengthened points on the floorpan and those steel plates look a bit bodged to me. I know custom seat runners are pricey, but I can't help thinking they are probably worth it in the long run.

well there in, DSCF0259.jpg

changed the brackets slightly too so there not too visible, i think what im going to do is run a length of strong metal bar up the side joining the two points together the same as where they bolt to the seat too, should make it alot stronger, then one thats done ill find a plastic frame to cover up the brackets etc so you cant see them at all,

it seems quite strong at the min the way it is doesnt rock or flex etc, although it wont hurt making it even more stronger, i see where people are coming from in event of a crash etc, i will make it better i promise lol

DSCF0261.jpg

DSCF0260.jpg

Edited by TrevorB33

It's more of if you can pull 2g's with the car minimum weight it must handle is x2. This is ideal case.

Safety factor ideally should be x1.5-x2 of that I thought. If we're talking about crash I suppose potential g's it can pull can pass 5 g's.

So I assume it would need to hold x10 of the weight of seat between the 4 bolts to ensure safety.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Bl**dy hell that was quick. I was going to suggest...

Instead of plating the floor to the runners, would it be possible to space the seat from the runners? That would get the runners back out where they belong along the sill. Would probably cause a bit of head scratching with the seat slide mechanism though. Although, I have to state, I've no idea how it work. :)

Other than that, I second what other have suggested. A one piece plate would do a better job than the two that you have at the moment in that it would resist twisting/swivelling.

J.

It's more of if you can pull 2g's with the car minimum weight it must handle is x2. This is ideal case.

Safety factor ideally should be x1.5-x2 of that I thought. If we're talking about crash I suppose potential g's it can pull can pass 5 g's.

So I assume it would need to hold x10 of the weight of seat between the 4 bolts to ensure safety.

:rofl: F1 Fabia? Nice

If you can pull 1g in a road car (No slicks) your doing very very very very well!

:rofl: Sorry

However accidents involving 30g can still happen with no fatalities. (WRC crash the other day, split a cage but they both lived. Co driver walked away!) The force to split a WRC FIA cage would be imense and I dont expext you to make you seat mounting that strong. As long as it looks reasonable I wouldnt worry.

got some steel made up today so gonna make the door side brackets all one piece, and be bolted twice at back and front should be more then plenty then, once its done its gonna look completely oem, unless you phsically crawl under the seat and see the bracket, from looking down it will look good hehe, might have to make some spacers for the tunnel side as ive gone for a slightly thicker steel, so it might feel like im sloped lol, shall see

:rofl: F1 Fabia? Nice

If you can pull 1g in a road car (No slicks) your doing very very very very well!

I actually meant braking force. I assume 2g's is possible? And 5g's in an accident is not unreasonable figure I thought?

Not done any tests to prove but lecture at uni says you cant pull more than .9g under braking without slicks or downforce. (He used to work for prodrive so probally knows his stuff).