Superb Combi 1.8tsi econonomy

I am planning on buying a new Superb Combi and originally planned the 2.0 tdi (170) DSG as I currently drive the 140 version of the Audi A3 and I like the mix of economy and power. Skoda however currently have an offer where they will effectively knock off the VAT so you can save up to £5k off the list price of a 1.8tsi Elegance with options (offer not available on diesels).

I wanted to ask what economy people are getting on the 1.8 and what the engine is like to live with matched up to the DSG gearbox?

Thanks in advance.

The Superb 1.8TSi with DSG is brilliant. The TSi engine feels like a larger engine thanks to it's torque curve, plus the 7 speed DSG means it will also find the right gear for whatever you need, gently cruising or fast acceleration.

As for the MPG figures I haven't had one for long enough to comment but one of my customers who does a lot of miles has got a 1.8TSi DSG which is averaging 44mpg.

Hi,

I have recently ordered a 1.8TSi DSG elegance estate. I drove a combi with the 1.8tsi DSG and was impressed by the smoothness and performance. I am moving from a BMW 525i auto estate and would say the two cars felt very similar, certainly in performance. The Superb diesel 170 I drove felt lacklustre by comparison although this could be my style of driving as I have never owned a diesel. I am quite a soft footed driver and average 29mpg out of the BMW and hope to get high 30s in the Superb. I would be interested in what others are achieving.

I have been disappointed with the fuel consumption on my 1.8 manual, averaging 27 MPG (29 on the MFD) over the 26000 miles I have covered in the past 11 months.

I commute 70 miles a day along the A34, usually at the pace of the traffic, 60-80 MPH, but even on long motorway runs I struggle to better 32 MPG. This also means fill ups every 300-320 miles or 50 litres.

Obviously a diesel would make sense in the long term but in my case I only run the car for just over a year so the big saving we made (even before the current offers) mean that even though it's cost more in fuel and the resale value will be less, it probably won't be much more expensive than a diesel, and IMHO is a nicer engine.

Justin.

I am planning on buying a new Superb Combi and originally planned the 2.0 tdi (170) DSG as I currently drive the 140 version of the Audi A3 and I like the mix of economy and power. Skoda however currently have an offer where they will effectively knock off the VAT so you can save up to £5k off the list price of a 1.8tsi Elegance with options (offer not available on diesels).

I wanted to ask what economy people are getting on the 1.8 and what the engine is like to live with matched up to the DSG gearbox?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the feedback. It's a bit mixed but hopefully i will be able to get a reasonably high MPG rate. I have driven the Octavia 1.8 and that was great so all bodes well especially considering the savings on offer at the moment. Just waiting now for the panoramic sunroof to become available before I order!

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the feedback. It's a bit mixed but hopefully i will be able to get a reasonably high MPG rate. I have driven the Octavia 1.8 and that was great so all bodes well especially considering the savings on offer at the moment. Just waiting now for the panoramic sunroof to become available before I order!

i'm getting a superb combi 1.8 manual in the next couple of weeks so i will let u know. it seems faster than the 170 diesel, £2k cheaper, plus with 15% off and a bit more negotiated, that puts it nearly £6K cheaper than the diesel list price. I think practically u will get 10mpg less in the petrol, and about £2k less for a trade in, but thats still a lot of pennies so spend on fuel for the car. :yes:

Hi, have the Combi 1.8tsi dsg elegance. It is really good to drive and the accelaration is impressive although spinning the front wheels is a bit too easy. Would have thought traction control would have been a bit more intuitive.

I have had the car for just over 2k miles and really struggle to beat 33mpg, pump fill up readings rather than mfd. 40 mile journey to work with mostly motorway cruising and just some accelaration from a few roads on route. I go wit the flow, so around 70 -80mph with a big bit at 55mph through 8 miles of roadworks where the mpg really does start to climb. So not a great mpg. Drive it much more gently than my previous BMW 520d which no matter how hard driven return 44mpg.

As I don't have to pay for my fuel, not that bothered except for the frequent fill up, which is not that much of a big deal especially as we have pumps in the office car park. Bit spoilt really.

I must have feather lined shoes :giggle:

1.8 TSI Estate with 2,200 miles on the clock. I do a whole mix of driving from the school run to motorways at "70 mph" (honest Gov) and I see 36-40 mpg without any bother.

Last fill up the range reported was 505 miles on a tank full.

I do use cruise a lot - mainly to stop my foot going down when it shouldn't on longer runs. Considering the deal I got to buy petrol over diesel - I'm very very happy.

I must have feather lined shoes :giggle:

1.8 TSI Estate with 2,200 miles on the clock. I do a whole mix of driving from the school run to motorways at "70 mph" (honest Gov) and I see 36-40 mpg without any bother.

Last fill up the range reported was 505 miles on a tank full.

I do use cruise a lot - mainly to stop my foot going down when it shouldn't on longer runs. Considering the deal I got to buy petrol over diesel - I'm very very happy.

sounds good :thumbup:

Was that a manual or DSG? I'm in the position of being about to purchase a Superb Combi, and we really can't decide between the DSG or Manual.

Was that a manual or DSG? I'm in the position of being about to purchase a Superb Combi, and we really can't decide between the DSG or Manual.

Company car is a 140PD (remapped to 180) manual, my own car is a 18TSi DSG. the DSG is much better (it is also faster 0-60 and gives better fuel consumption than the manual). :thumbup:

Before I ordered the Superb I was looking at firs the fabia VRS DSG... the octavia VRS too... both nice.

But the deal I got on a the manual 140 was tremendous, and virtually comparable to a VRS fabia with some kit on!

I think if I was choosing based on preference 50% of me would want the DSG for lazyness, and because its a trick bit of kit, and the other 50% would want a manual, just because its what im used to. I owned a Auto for 2 years, plenty quick enough, and not problems with traction as it was also AWD, but, it just lacked involvement. Fair enough the DSG can give you involvement if you get flappy paddles, and had the DSG but the extra cost, and then the extra cost of the flappy paddles and then the reported problems with LAG, and other faults.

I just figures if it was a no cost option then I would maybe have opted for it, but since it ups the cost quite a lot, it just doesnt offer me anything MORE, and takes a lot AWAY... mainly being CONTROL and offers more potential for problems in the future I opted for the tried and tested method of manual.

Company car is a 140PD (remapped to 180) manual, my own car is a 18TSi DSG. the DSG is much better (it is also faster 0-60 and gives better fuel consumption than the manual). :thumbup:

Cheers - we put the order in yesterday and went for the DSG. I keep flip-flopping about it in my head now it's ordered, but loved the smoothness when I was being wafted around in the back on the test-drive! Just a huge wait now :/

Thanks in advance.

I have 1.8 tsi DSG (Combi) and so far (10000 km) my consumption is around 9 liter/100 km, which is around 33 Mpg UK. On a long open road trip I got around 40 Mpg, but it is not realistic in "normal" life. I like the engine and think that 30 something consumption is good result considering weight and power of the car.

The money saved at purchase will be lost when it comes time to sell unless you plan to keep it for more than 5 years. So couple in extra fuel cost and petrol doesn't make sense financially.

But neither does buying any new car, so buy what you are happy with !

Steve

The money saved at purchase will be lost when it comes time to sell unless you plan to keep it for more than 5 years. So couple in extra fuel cost and petrol doesn't make sense financially.

But neither does buying any new car, so buy what you are happy with !

Steve

Maybe, maybe not. I bought the 1.8TSi DSG Elegance Combi as the deal was too good to ignore, 23% off list and extras. I will keep it for between one and three years, probably the latter. When it comes to selling I think there may be some benefits on the petol over the diesels.

By this I mean that after three years 65k miles the 1.8TSi DSG has a much lower servicing cost than the diesels and the 6 speed DSG's. Also, if the second hand user is not going to cover regular decent mileage they will by then be aware of the DPF issues. Not everyone will be popping of to Shark to have them removed. DPF is really going to bite people on the bum and is becoming more of a discussion point as people are having failures due to only local journeys.

I think there will be more acceptance of petrol again, for the group whose mileage is low.

Also, there is the sound issue. After seven years of diesels it is so nice to hear a petrol engine under power and then to not hear one when not under power. Don't get me wrong, the diesels are great, but then so is the 1.8TSi engine.

got my superb. And it is just that...superb. Fuel economy 35mpg for first tank, 38mpg for second tank. My wifes fabia got to 1000 miles and the fuel economy went up 10% as it seemed to be bedding in. I'll let u know at 2000 miles to see how its going :)

1.8Tsi DSG purchased October 26 2010. Only done 3000 miles so far. Its showing 33.8 Avge. For me thats a whole lot better than my old Mondeo V6 but there are posters who question the validity of the read out.

1.8Tsi DSG purchased October 26 2010. Only done 3000 miles so far. Its showing 33.8 Avge. For me thats a whole lot better than my old Mondeo V6 but there are posters who question the validity of the read out.

I do not question it, but I know for a fact it was not accurate.

Do the math for yourself, either use something like fuelly.com or a calclator, all it takes is two full fuel ups (I tend to push the nozzle in as far as it will go, then let the pump click off, wait a couple of seconds let it click off again and finally do it again a third time - this way you know you have filled the tank to the same level each time (and vented the tank the same amount each time)

On my Superb it was 10% optimistic - this seems to be a pretty common percentage.

I then calibrated the computer with VCDS and the last 10+ fill ups have all been spot on with the computer (I use fuelly) :thumbup: