Elegance Leather seats

Merlinman

In touch on another (MTB) forum with another Yeti owner, he mentioned in passing that he was awaiting a new leather seat base on account of 'creasing' under warranty - his comment was prompted by him looking at one of the shots of my Yeti.

https://lh4.googleus...40/IMG_0843.JPG

That was at one week (<200miles)

I've had leather seats in both my previous Golfs and whilst there's been some creasing after 3 years 30k miles - it's not as pronounced as in the Yeti! I'm well aware that all leather 'stretches' - and familiar with the comment about leather trousers - "they never look as good the second time they're worn" :rofl:

Bit bothered that the Skoda leather feels 'thin' by comparison - certainly compared to the Golf and my own office chair - which has no creases.

BTW I'm not a 'bloater' - 12 st. in fact.

Experiences?

I don't have leather in my Yeti but I had a Volvo S40 with leather for my last car. After 2 years and 38,000 miles they looked immaculate still. The pictures you have posted look very poor in comparison. If you had posted them after 100,000 miles and 5 yrs I would say fair enough but 200 miles, not impressive.

Haven't experienced this creasing yet, but I too had a Volvo previously (V50)in which I had done 50k miles and have to admit the quality of the leather on the seats was higher in that. However, in all other respects the Yeti wins for me!

Edited by Bobdog

In touch on another (MTB) forum with another Yeti owner, he mentioned in passing that he was awaiting a new leather seat base on account of 'creasing' under warranty - his comment was prompted by him looking at one of the shots of my Yeti.

https://lh4.googleus...40/IMG_0843.JPG

That was at one week (<200miles)

I've had leather seats in both my previous Golfs and whilst there's been some creasing after 3 years 30k miles - it's not as pronounced as in the Yeti! I'm well aware that all leather 'stretches' - and familiar with the comment about leather trousers - "they never look as good the second time they're worn" :rofl:

Bit bothered that the Skoda leather feels 'thin' by comparison - certainly compared to the Golf and my own office chair - which has no creases.

BTW I'm not a 'bloater' - 12 st. in fact.

Experiences?

Hi Merlinman,

Yes I noticed the pronounced creases on your leather seats in the original photos you posted

on the member picture thread. At the time I did not realise that your Yeti was so new therefore

didn't think to comment.

It is worrying - I still have a Saab 9-5 Griffin with leather seats that I bought in 2000 and which now

has 90,000 miles on it. The leather of the drivers seat is now a little polished in places but

there are certainly no "creases" like yours is showing.

I guess you will be contacting Skoda about this ?.

It's back to the fumbling dealers on 7/3 to see if they can sort my 'non memory' memory drivers seat. (Thought to be the seat controller-SUK won't supply on 'sale or return' so a 'stock' new Superb is to be used as a 'donor')

I'll kick the 'wrinkly' seat into play then....

I must admit the leather doesn't have the same 'feel' as previous VAG leathers - which is why I was canvassing views on here.

Thanks so far! :thumbup:

Have been looking at the Elegance used car pics on the Skoda site and it appears that most of the driver's seat squabs have wrinkles to one degree or another.

Bit of a concern especially as they are mostly low mileage examples. Wonder if it could be case of the seats being trimmed too tighly causing the leather to stretch more than normal ?

Not sure how this might effect the issue raised here but looking through an update to the parts 'book' suggests that the interior has had an extensive updates in the form of revised part numbers during early January for door cards and early Feb for seat facings and sun visors. However headrests are not effected (revised in June last year) :wonder:

Oh the rear door wheel arch seal is to be revised first week of April.

TP

Mine looks much the same as the picture, 11000 miles covered and I am very much the heavier type.

Doesn't seem to get any worse.

What I think is the cause is the shaped seat, I push out the sides of the base slightly due to my width, this has stretched the base leather sideways, and it then creases slightly as you get out and the side bolsters return to their unloaded position. No doubt even those with the benefit of smaller posteriors still push onto the side bolsters in bends etc causing the same issue.

If you had an antique leather suite in your home, all these 'imperfections' would be deemed to add character (and even value).

Just what I was thinking - leather looks best with a few wrinkes and creases imo. Mine showed the same signs as above within 100 miles or so but after 12,000 miles they havent got any worse. :thumbup:

That's reassuring folks!

I'm going to take snaps @ 1k intervals and see how things develop - but I think I'll flag it with the dealers/SUK just to get it on record?

Just what I was thinking - leather looks best with a few wrinkes and creases imo. Mine showed the same signs as above within 100 miles or so but after 12,000 miles they havent got any worse. :thumbup:

Easy to get that 'distressed' look - took me 50 years. :giggle:

Easy to get that 'distressed' look - took me 50 years. :giggle:

:rofl::D:rofl:

Meant to mention - I do treat my leather every three months roughly - thats a cleaner and conditioner and afterwards it does look properly 'refreshed'. I use either Autoglym, Meguiars or Gliptone (far better imo).

Like others, my drivers seat shows a little 'loosening' of the seat, in particular, - since it is the only one I sit on, it is hardly surprising. It looks much like Johann's in the picture, perhaps even a tad looser, in fact. I think this happened in the first few thousand miles and hasn't got any worse (its only done about 9K now).

Also like others I am one who doesn't mind this, really. Leather is a natural material and I consider it normal, and to be expected. Almost like a favourite tweed jacket, some 'maturing' of the appearance is almost desirable I think - it comes under the heading of 'honourably acquired mojo'. Of course, if the other seats are not used, or hardly ever, it does mean that a different appearance is inevitable - but as long as the drivers seat doesn't look actually tatty, I have to say it does not worry me. I have a friend with a much older Honda with leather - that looks very aged by comparison, to me, but still looks good. The leather in old Jags is hardly considered 'proper' if it has not acquired a bit of patina. There you go - I hope yours will not deteriorate to the extent you don't like it, Merlinman!

Edited by roguebrit

I'm a Gliptone man too - even down to their card 'leather' air fresheners :rofl:

'Er Indoors hates them, claims they make the car smell of 'fertilizer' - so I have to conceal the 'Glipfreshener' ....

After almost 40 years of servitude you learn these little survival tips :o

Hi. I think there seems to be a split, as always, between those who like the "loose" look and those who prefer the sear leather to remain tight. On a previous Audi TT there was an upgrade option to Napa Leather which was a looser fitting style not dissimilar to that seen in the photos above.

The problem with looking at creases is the more you look the bigger the creases get. :rofl:

Just given my seats a quick clean and the Gobi Sand leather colour looks as new and looks well with Storm Blue paint and wood trim.

Ironically Mrs Broon is 4 stone lighter than me and "her" seat is more creased - I must have a more rounded bum.

I'm a Gliptone man too - even down to their card 'leather' air fresheners :rofl:

'Er Indoors hates them, claims they make the car smell of 'fertilizer' - so I have to conceal the 'Glipfreshener' ....

After almost 40 years of servitude you learn these little survival tips :o

Can I offer some more survival tips? I have learned that there are normally just three acceptable responses to whatever SWMBO says: "Yes dear", "Sorry dear" or "Doing it now dear". I did once venture a "Did it yesterday dear", but she thought I was being a smart*rse. Under no circumstances do I ever risk "No dear".

My leather looks exactly the same as in the first picture and always has since I picked it up new. I don't recall seeing a pic of one looking significantly different. Do you think it could be the heating element doing this?

My leather looks exactly the same as in the first picture and always has since I picked it up new. I don't recall seeing a pic of one looking significantly different. Do you think it could be the heating element doing this?

My previous Volvo V50, and long ago a Golf VR6, both had heated leather seats without any similar issues.

I think they are just meant to look like that. It really does not bother me truth be told since (as someone mentioned) you pay a LOT more on an Audi to get Nappa leather to do just that! All over the seat I grant you, but still the Yeti leather seats looks OK to me. If it bothers go here http://www.theseatsurgeons.com and have the middle bits done in Alcantara (many a person on this website have recommended those people). That is what I really, really wanted but alas you can't get Alcantara on a Yeti Elegance in the UK. :no:

Can I offer some more survival tips? I have learned that there are normally just three acceptable responses to whatever SWMBO says: "Yes dear", "Sorry dear" or "Doing it now dear". I did once venture a "Did it yesterday dear", but she thought I was being a smart*rse. Under no circumstances do I ever risk "No dear".

I always find the Basil Fawlty "Yes my little Piranha",has a calming effect. :giggle: