Installing AUX in Bolero

My_Yeti

Hi,

I have recently updated my Swing to a Bolero inorder to get more functions. My Yeti (which is a S) does not come with AUX, and when I installed the Bolero I notice that only the CAN BUS part is used whilst other pins (3 and 4 in this diagram: http://www.my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/volkswagen_rcd_510_main_N91-10016.gif) are not used.

I am wondering something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150528710618&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 would enable me to use AUX?

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Get a MDI unit fitted then you can run the iPod or other mp3 device via the screen on your bolero

I just fitted this to my columbus and it works with boleros as well.

http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-media-in-mdi-kit-ipod-adapter-retrofit-5n0035342e,id290.html

Thanks, but I want to be able to play off-line music via Spotify, which doesn't use mp3, so I don't think an MDI unit is the right solution. Plus an aux cable is only about £15.

I can confirm that the link ebay aux input works, but I don't think they sell it any more.

I got that + RCA to 3.5mm (female), then either run it through to the glovebox or drill a hole in the cubby in front of the gear lever and glue it in place.

I works perfectly and all is done for less than 8 quid.

I can confirm that the link ebay aux input works, but I don't think they sell it any more.

I got that + RCA to 3.5mm (female), then either run it through to the glovebox or drill a hole in the cubby in front of the gear lever and glue it in place.

I works perfectly and all is done for less than 8 quid.

Thanks! Don't think I'll be able to do it for £8, but found a couple of options that look like they should work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140687875526?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://audiovisualworld.co.uk/shopping/products.php?product=Connects-2-%252d-CT29AU04-Aux-Input-for-Audi-Quadlock-vehicles-

Also looks like I need to get a Torx T20 screwdriver.

Did you need to get the radio re-coded afterwards, or did it all work as soon as you plugged it in?

Both looks fine, the only minor problem with both is that the connector to the CAN-BUS might be wrong. If it does not connect to the right connector, the "shell" could be easily removed but pushing buttons and the inner bit could slot into the CAN-BUS.

You would need Torx screwdriver to remove the Bolero and it would need recoding afterwards using VCDS.

I think Great_Yeti has a guide somewhere to remove the Bolero.

Both looks fine, the only minor problem with both is that the connector to the CAN-BUS might be wrong. If it does not connect to the right connector, the "shell" could be easily removed but pushing buttons and the inner bit could slot into the CAN-BUS.

You would need Torx screwdriver to remove the Bolero and it would need recoding afterwards using VCDS.

I think Great_Yeti has a guide somewhere to remove the Bolero.

Scuse my ignorance but i'm wondering if i fitted one of these things, would it diconnect the 6 cd player? also would a local car radio shop fit this sort of thing for me?

The 6 CD player in the Bolero is integrated, so it works fine with the AUX. I am sure the local car radio shop could do this for you, but all in all it takes approximately 15 minutes to install, the main thing is getting it recoded.

The 6 CD player in the Bolero is integrated, so it works fine with the AUX. I am sure the local car radio shop could do this for you, but all in all it takes approximately 15 minutes to install, the main thing is getting it recoded.

Overall, really quite good.

Engine is surprisingly spritely, don't be put off if it feels sluggish at first, mine did until it loosen up at around 5000 miles.

Economy is good, I managed 52 mpg on a 250 miles motorway journey averaging 60 mph.

Handling is great, very chuckable but this comes at the expense of the ride.

Did you plug into section 3 or 4 in that diagram? I e-mailed the guy on ebay to check they had the right connector listed and showed them the link to the one you got. This is what he replied:

Hi, i am not sure why anyone would use the black version as block d has tel input and no aux input, tel would give awful audio quality as it does not provide audio frequencies the same.

I have sold plenty of these with no compatibility issues previously EXCEPT newer models-10 plate onwards require a slight modification to the plug. The left groove needs to be filed down as the groove on the stereo harness has been filled which would stop the plug inserting. I hope that makes sense.

Trying to decide whether to go for female 3.5mm jack that I could fit to one of the blank buttons on the console or a male one that I would put inside the cubby by the gearstick. Looks like I would have to remove that to be able to drill into it, although it feels like there are holes at the back that I might be able to squeeze the cable through. What did you end up doing?

By the way, before I go any further, when I press the Media button on the radio, it lists CD, SD Card and Aux at the top. Aux is greyed out. I'm assuming that once I have it all plugged in, it will become available. Is that what you had?

Thanks again for your help.

The reason why I mentioned that the connector may be incorrect is because the one I bought does not fit into the right slot.

You want the one that plug into 4 in the diagram. But as I said, it's not the end of the world if the connect does not fit as you can easily either change the sleeve/shell or just install without the sleeve/shell.

It might be quite a bit of work to try and fit it next to the handbrake. I installed a female 3.5mm in the cubby, which required drilling the cubby. Reason being if it all went wrong, I can easily get another cubby from Skoda for not a lot (I guess!).

OK, I've installed the cable! The radio isn't picking it up though. When you said I need to have the radio recoded, did you mean it needs to be programmed to detect the aux-in? I originally thought you were talking about the code that you need to enter when the radio is first fitted.

Yay! My aux-in is working. Got it coded at my local Skoda dealer. I only bought the car from there 3 weeks ago, so they didn't charge me. The mechanic said he didn't realise you could add an aux cable!

I bought the cable from ebay in my link above, but as My_Yeti suggested, I had to remove the shell to get the cable to fit in the back.

I threaded the 3.5mm jack through a small hole in the back of the ash tray / central cubby, so didn't need to drill any holes anywhere. Did get a few cuts on the back of my hand from reaching back round there though!

Cost me about £20 in total - £15 for the cable (including postage) and £5 for the Torx T20 screwdriver.