Bluetooth from scratch

There not enough room behind the climate/aircon panel unless you take the unit out the plastic case, which I've done. Then it fits no problem but not everyone will be happy to do this I guess. Also the version I used doesn't have an external aerial so the ones your looking at might be slightly different.

Chris

OK my kit arrived and it's in - WHAT A NIGHTMARE! lol :o

The worst bit was getting the piggy back harness and the existing harness 'pulled through' into the glovebox area to make enough space to get the Bolero back.... I was puffing and panting for at least an hour there :D

TOP TIP 1 - ROUTE EVERYTHING TO THE PASSENGER SIDE! In fact if you do this I reckon you could cable tie the BT module between the glovebox and the trim which is only visible when you open the door....

I also had some help in that I had the windscreen replaced so I was able to route the mic and GSM aerial up the pillar and in roof space whilst it had no windscreen! :giggle:

Autoglass - top marks to them!!!

TOP TIP 2 - Cable ties! love em ;)

2q8trud.jpg

Anyway I'm still logging errors with the Telefon module!?

Do I need to set values here?

282kkll.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by adder

Glad you chaps out there have found this useful. Mine's been in and working for a couple of weeks now and I reckon its brilliant! Not the easiest job to do, but definitely worth the hassle in the long run. All I need is the 'official' mounting kit and bit of carpet to make it 100% - off to visit Mr e-bay now to see what I can find!

Well finally got bluetooth fitted in my car, but not the OEM. Basically when the salesman sold me the car he told me it had hands free, picked it up turns out it didnt :dull: so after a little chat with the dealer they agreed to fit a fiscon handsfree unit for free :thumbup:

Just had it fitted today and all seems to be working fine, just one question for anyone else with a fiscon unit in a FL vrs with maxidot, do you get the signal strength etc displayed on your maxidot?? I've got the phone menu and can go through the phone book etc but i thought the maxidot could show signal strength and operator? Also my BT Audio option is greyed out but if i select a2dp in the maxidot it just mutes whats playing and plays the music from my phone (bolero still shows the radio) is this normal???

I can see the attraction of built in bluetooth but have a look at - http://www.supertooth.net/EN/buddyspecs.htm - as it works with all phones unlike the VAG version - also you can have 2 phones connected at the same time - good if you have a work and private mobile.

Quality of sound and mic very good.

The bluetooth bracket that holds the module is fixed under the drivers seat. You'll see 2 squares in the carpet that just pull out to reveal holes where you put the expanding plastic nuts. You can route the wiring under the drivers carpet to emerge at the front end of the console.

However, the wiring can be a bit awkward to route under the carpet, so an installation behind the dashboard may be easier. As long as you secure the box with cable ties so it doesn't move about, there shouldn't be a problem. And doing it this way, you won't need any of the mounting kit parts. I mounted mine under the seat, but if I ever had to install again in another car, it would be the dashboard mounting I would opt for.

GSM antenna? It's integrated within the bluetooth module box, and is not separately mounted. Check the description for item 1A in the ETKA parts diagram above.

Mike

I can see the attraction of built in bluetooth but have a look at - http://www.supertooth.net/EN/buddyspecs.htm - as it works with all phones unlike the VAG version - also you can have 2 phones connected at the same time - good if you have a work and private mobile.

Quality of sound and mic very good.

I can confirm how good the Supertooth items are. Bought my Wife a Supertooth Voice just over 3 years ago. Great quality item and hasn't missed a beat.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread to add specific details of the car kit I've just installed as i remember looking (and not finding) for an exact match for my car so I could be sure to buy kit that worked.

I have a my2011 (Facelift) manual Octavia vRS (UK specification) manufactured in December 2010, with Bolero head unit and maxidot.

I've just installed VW car kit part no 5K0035730 (Rev B ) bought from www*carsystems*pl on EBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180657159126&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Easy EBay purchase, delivered from Poland in about 5 days (which for £3 you can't really complain). The kit doesn't support RSAP, but neither does my phone.

There were no instructions with the kit, but it's fairly obvious what plugs to where.

In terms of fitting, after looking at http://octavia-vrs.com/cms/content/integrated-bluetooth and the car itself, I chose under the passenger seat. I reckoned this would be easier than the drivers side. The benefit of the passenger side means you don't need to faff with the bonnet pull.

I removed the glovebox (which involved disconnecting the passenger airbag switch - which throws an air bag fault, but may not if you disconnect the battery), lifted the sill trim (which you lift but not fully remove without removing the b pillar trim) and removed the A pillar trim. Glovebox is 6 screws - 3 inside at the top, 2 at the bottom and one on the side which is hidden behind the trim on the end of the dashboard. This just pulls off. The sill trim and A pillar pull off quite easily. I also took out the storage box above the Bolero.

Microphone wire car then be wire-tied to the loom that's already up the passenger A pillar and fed up under the head lining to the interior light where the mic is installed. The other end went behind the glovebox to the plug and play wiring. Wire to the bluetooth box went behined the glovebox, along the sill and then down under the carpet and came out through a pre-existing slit in the carpet under the seat. I use the "hook" side of self adhesive velco to "secure" the box to the carpet. I decided this was sufficient as it's the passenger side (I'm not sure i'd have been happy like this on the drivers side).

Usuall problems getting the Bolero back in, but i didn't think it was too fiddly. I pushed the cables to the left of the unit, which is relatively easy with the glovebox and top storage box out.

Once re-assembled, I could see the bluetooth was talking to the Bolero (if you press the phone button, rather than just muting the radio it says something like "telephone not connected". I was able to connect the phone without any coding to the car. The car manual suggests that the unit is visable for 3 minutes after the ignition is turned on, so I made my phone scan and found "VW_PHONE". The pin was 0000 rather than the 1234 suggested in the book.

So apart from the air bag light, and the fact that I didn't have access via maxidot, everything was working ok.

This morning, I took the car to my Skoda dealer, who reset the air bag light and configured the maxidot. He did explain it to me, but I forget the exact details. It was something like he scanned for new modules, and then the rest was automatic. Five minute job max, and they didn't even charge for it :thumbup:

So now I have everything working :D

Oh, how little things can make you happy (so my wife says :giggle: )

Hope this turns out to be useful to someone in the future.

Steve

Edited by sdenny

Just had a read through the thread and its making me want to try this myself. Couple of questions though.

Is the Kit (from Poland) the only thing that is required or are other parts nessesary?

Does it matter if I dont have Maxidot?

I know the phone menus etc will show up on the bolero but will there be anything shown on the standard FL non maxidot display?

Some of you have had dealers code this, is it easy enough to code yourself if you have Vagcom?

Thanks.

Just had a read through the thread and its making me want to try this myself. Couple of questions though.

Is the Kit (from Poland) the only thing that is required or are other parts nessesary?

Does it matter if I dont have Maxidot?

I know the phone menus etc will show up on the bolero but will there be anything shown on the standard FL non maxidot display?

Some of you have had dealers code this, is it easy enough to code yourself if you have Vagcom?

Thanks.

That kit it all you need - it contains the bluetooth module, mic and wiring. No cutting, etc required to install, just a little trim removal.

I don't know for certain, but I can't see why it shouldn't work without maxidot. That's basically how mine was before coding. You just have to pair the phone by scanning from the phone with in the first 3 mins after you switch the ignition on. The phone should then find the kit. With maxidot you can make the unit scan for the phone.

But as I say, I was able to pair the phone (HTC Desire S if you're interested) without using Maxidot.

The way I approached it was to pick one of the many kits that the polish guy supplies, then mailed him saying "I have X, will this kit work?". He said "no, use this one". I bought that one on the basis that if he was wrong, I at least had some recourse.

There are plenty of other threads about coding, and some seem to have found it easy, others less so. I worked on the assumption that the dealer should at least know how to do it (i don't have vagcom anyway). The fact I got it for free was a bonus.

What is the difference between 5K0 035 730 & 5N0 035 730? They are both listed as "premium" kits.

I don't really know what the "premium" means.

5N0 035 730 (this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170584819922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT ) supports rSAP, so the car kit can read the SIM in the phone. The car kit then "becomes" the phone and the carkit itself makes the calls (hence the aerial is also suppied). This way the phone battery isn't depleted when making calls. You can also get txt messages on the head unit with this one.

The 5K0 unit (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180657159126&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT) doesn't have this capability so the phone battery is used up while making calls and you can't see the txt messages on the head unit.

On both you get the list of calls etc on the headunit and the maxidot if you have it.

Actual diplay on the maxidot differs slightly from the pictures, but it's the general idea.

Although my phone doesn't have rSAP, I'd have had the 5NO unit, but as I said, I asked the guy specifically what would work with mine and he pointed me at the 5K0. If you're phone doesn't support rSAP (which a lot don't) I don't think you gain anything with the 5N0.

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone know if there are any issues with curtain airbags and running the microphone cable up the side pillars of the windscreen (sorry dont know the technical term!) where presumably the airbags are?

cheers

You just have to be careful with your run up the pillar. It can be done with curtain airbags installed.

Just don't cable tie it to anything on the way up! emoticon-0104-surprised.gif - and yes, I have seen it done.....

You just have to be careful with your run up the pillar. It can be done with curtain airbags installed.

Just don't cable tie it to anything on the way up! emoticon-0104-surprised.gif - and yes, I have seen it done.....

Additionally make sure the cable is BEHIND the airbag - last thing you want is some piece of cable flying around the cabin if the airbag goes off.

• 1 month later...

There not enough room behind the climate/aircon panel unless you take the unit out the plastic case, which I've done. Then it fits no problem but not everyone will be happy to do this I guess. Also the version I used doesn't have an external aerial so the ones your looking at might be slightly different.

Chris

I've just got a 5N0 unit from EBay (some guy in Portugal) over the weekend and put in in behind the climate control unit. As you said, there isn't enough space initially so I got the trusty hacksaw out and cut off the plastic screw holder parts. Fits in snuggly after doing that. :yes:

Looks like I need some coding done now though as when I press the phone button I get a message something like "user not connected" and my phone won't pair with the unit. At least I hope it's a coding issue as I don't want to pull it all back out. :doh:

Yes, you need to tell the car that the Bluetooth module is now fitted. Ideally you code it before you've got everything fitted back into the car, just in case there's a problem :)

There's an overview of the coding at the end of Stu's fitting article:

http://octavia-vrs.com/cms/content/integrated-bluetooth

Has anyone have coding details for the 5K0 035 730B BT unit to go with bolero on FL octy. will be retrofitting maxidot soon. Thanks

Edited by gizmob

Yes, you need to tell the car that the Bluetooth module is now fitted. Ideally you code it before you've got everything fitted back into the car, just in case there's a problem :)

Only a sensible person would do that. ;)

Was having a look through vcds and the coding is currently set to 02 then all zeros. I've set the telephone active in the CAN Gateway module (19) but inside the Telephone module (77) the long coding doesn't provide any help (I guess it can't map the part number) so I've no idea what each byte actually relates to. I'll need to have a look around the forum I guess.

Another thing I should have mentioned is that the 5N0 I've got is the latest one D, and I've got an LE, not a FL car. The LE has the white maxidot so I've assumed that this should be compatible but you know what they say about assuming things.

There's an overview of the coding at the end of Stu's fitting article:

http://octavia-vrs.com/cms/content/integrated-bluetooth

Cheers, I'll try and figure out what that actually means. :)

Well this is fun and games. Still can't get the Bolero to talk to the Bluetooth unit. I've tried a few different codings but nothing seems to work.

I've also tried to set the flag for telephone in the 56 - Radio long coding. This doesn't seem to work though as when I set the flag and hit Do It, I get an error in vcds, something about Error 31 - Coding Rejected.

Looking at the diagnostics I've noticed that both my 17-Instruments and 56-Radio have BAP 01.04.01 while 77-Telephone has BAP 04.01.02 so I'm guessing these need updated to be in sync?

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update this on how it turned out in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same.

I've got a Limited Edition Octavia and although it's not a FL it does have the white maxidot.

The bluetooth unit was bought from Ebay (5N0035730D).

I bought a wiring loom from Ebay as well from carsystems.pl (unfortunately I didn't realise I had bought a bare bones loom with no microphone or antenna)

Since I'm using an iPhone and don't plan on changing anytime soon I didn't need a GSM antenna and this unit has the bluetooth receiver built in.

I then bought a microphone separate, again from Ebay.

After fitting and coding I thought something was wrong as I couldn't communicate with the unit. Since I still haven't received the owners manuals from the dealer I was unaware you actually pair the device through the Maxidot, just hold in the end of the stalk for a couple of seconds to get to the menu then select Phone and follow instructions.

Once that was done and the microphone finally arrived and fitted I'm glad to say it's finally working. Was a good (if frustrating) learning experience.

• 7 months later...

Hoping to fit a 5K0 to my LE on Friday. I will be trying to fit it behind the dash rather than under passenger seat.

I'd read about problems with warning lights after disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery. Has anyone experienced similar issues? Or am I safe to do this without warning lights or having to enter the radio code etc?

Thanks,

Dan

Managed to fit my kit at the weekend. The main problem I encountered was the sheer size of the block connectors. There is a void to the left and right of the main radio cage and there is a big void beneath the radio behind the climate control module controls, but it's very awkward to get the block connectors in these. Eventually we took the rear left corner out of the plastic cage the radio sits in where the block plugs into the radio. This allowed for the original connector to plug into the new connector in the void below and stay out of the way of the radio, the module also sits in the same void minus one of it's plastic screw tabs to get it in there.

Disconnected the battery prior to disconnecting the radio. Got an ESP fault and another one upon reconnection, also shown in VCDS, and also the one touch windows not working etc. After the first drive though, things seem to work themselves out. Sorted the windows by closing and then pulling switch to close again.

More hassle than I expected to be honest, but it's in there, coded and working well now. I did have one screw left over however, after taking most of the dash apart :|

Most of the functionality is there by simply connecting the module directly to the radio, coding enables the maxidot functionality.

Dan