Problem with vRS Dark Chrome Alloys

Took delivery of my new Candy White vRS on saturday. On sunday i noticed white marks under the lacquer on the spokes and around centre caps and wheel bolt holes. This usually happens when the lacquer top coat is damaged ie stonechips and moisture gets under the lacquer. This is a brand new one day old car but is already needing 4 new wheels. Has anybody else experienced this. Should i insist that i have black gigaros instead as they are finished differently and shouldn't be as susceptible to this problem.

I would have painted wheels everytime.....or you could get them to powder coat the wheels in a finish of your choice at a refurbers of your choice. Powder coating is so much harder and resilient for wheels then the rubbish metal/chrome finishes that VAG keep churning out.....BBS split rims, VW Santa Monicas, Audi A8 Rims etc etc...all plagued with laquer delamination.

Hi minty109. Sounds like you have a great colour combo really like the candy White. In reply to your dark chrome alloys I have had my car since October and haven't had any problems with them since then, I've done around 3000 miles so far. I have heard that if you do chip/scratch them they are a bugger to repair. Under the black there is a White lacquer which can be visible when scratched. I would go back to the dealer and demand a new set alloys but I wouldn't be detered from the dark chrome.

Fitted a set of mud flaps to the VRS yesterday, so had to remove the rear wheels to get good access. As such i decided to give them a clean (they are the white alloy's) and noticed what looks to be specs of rust on the inside of the rim. Shall be a trip back to the dealer to have a word. btw only took delivery last Wednesday.

Fitted a set of mud flaps to the VRS yesterday, so had to remove the rear wheels to get good access. As such i decided to give them a clean (they are the white alloy's) and noticed what looks to be specs of rust on the inside of the rim. Shall be a trip back to the dealer to have a word. btw only took delivery last Wednesday.

That will be filings embedding itself off the brakes. Try IronX on them:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=192047

Hi minty109. Sounds like you have a great colour combo really like the candy White. In reply to your dark chrome alloys I have had my car since October and haven't had any problems with them since then, I've done around 3000 miles so far. I have heard that if you do chip/scratch them they are a bugger to repair. Under the black there is a White lacquer which can be visible when scratched. I would go back to the dealer and demand a new set alloys but I wouldn't be detered from the dark chrome.

Hi Kermit82, will stick with the dark chromes, beautiful wheels, everybody who has seen the car comments on them. Totally love this car, performance is amazing, lovely exhaust burble, maybe not as good on fuel as my old vrs but apart from the wife who cares.

I would have painted wheels everytime.....or you could get them to powder coat the wheels in a finish of your choice at a refurbers of your choice. Powder coating is so much harder and resilient for wheels then the rubbish metal/chrome finishes that VAG keep churning out.....BBS split rims, VW Santa Monicas, Audi A8 Rims etc etc...all plagued with laquer delamination.

Used to be a VW warranty administrator, you'd think i would have known better. We were fitting new wheels to 3 year old Passats with "catalunya" style alloys nearly every day for a while.

Used to be a VW warranty administrator, you'd think i would have known better. We were fitting new wheels to 3 year old Passats with "catalunya" style alloys nearly every day for a while.

:giggle: Hope you didn't deal with the paintwork warranty?! Took me 18months of fighting, trading standards and finally a letter threatening court action to get new wings on the Bora...

Took delivery of my new Candy White vRS on saturday. On sunday i noticed white marks under the lacquer on the spokes and around centre caps and wheel bolt holes. This usually happens when the lacquer top coat is damaged ie stonechips and moisture gets under the lacquer. This is a brand new one day old car but is already needing 4 new wheels. Has anybody else experienced this. Should i insist that i have black gigaros instead as they are finished differently and shouldn't be as susceptible to this problem.

Get that car back to Dealer ASAP point-out fault and get them to get it sorted/or make an official complaint to SKODA,

so in the months to come when problem has worsened, they can respray wheels.

Hi Kermit82, will stick with the dark chromes, beautiful wheels, everybody who has seen the car comments on them. Totally love this car, performance is amazing, lovely exhaust burble, maybe not as good on fuel as my old vrs but apart from the wife who cares.

+1 couldn't of said it better!

At the end of the day Alloys are just like women - the pretty ones are usually going to be more high maintenance than the ugly variety! :giggle: