Why no DPF on my 2010 2.0 pd ( fortunately )

As a new owner of a 2010 Octavia 2 0lt pd diesel very pleased it has no DPF, would not have bought it if had, curious to know why some VAG group PD engines have DPF and some don.t ?

I thought all diesel engines were CR from 09, no? Not sure why no DPF though. Maybe its been taken out by the prev owner?

No, not strictly true. For the vRS, yes. But the 2.0 CR140 unit took longer to get to Skoda, and there were also some supply issues I understand.

I thought all new cars from about 2007 onwards should have a DPF.

Your car will have a cat and it should have a DPF.

Are you sure it doesn't have a DPF, I'm sure it should!

When I purchased the car I asked if it had a DPF the salesperson of course did not know ! I checked at the service desk the chassis number was entered and I was told and shown that no DPF was listed with regard to exhaust component's. Still not covinced asked if the workshop would eyeball the exhaust to confirm there was no DPF fitted this was done and i was informed that they 100% sure that there was no DPF fitted also there is no DPF icon on the instrument panel.

Look at the options sticker in the service book or in the spare wheel well. IIRC in the bottom left corner(well near to it) should be one of two codes 7GG or 0GG, the former indicates DPF fitted the latter no DPF fitted.

Ian

No, not strictly true. For the vRS, yes. But the 2.0 CR140 unit took longer to get to Skoda, and there were also some supply issues I understand.

There are 2010 Octavias on Auto Trader with the PD engine I understand the CR did not get fitted till quite late in 2010.

Look at the options sticker in the service book or in the spare wheel well. IIRC in the bottom left corner(well near to it) should be one of two codes 7GG or 0GG, the former indicates DPF fitted the latter no DPF fitted.

Ian

I can confirm, double checked by SWMBO that OGG is in the service book, some posts are saying there should be a DPF, is there some mystery to why there is no DPF, the car came from Skoda UK.

Edited by mellyboy

IIRC the only 140 bhp PD diesel engines fitted with DPF were the 8 valve units fitted to the 4x4 Octavias. Any engine with the BKD code (on your options sticker) is the 16 valve version and not fitted with the DPF. The only other PD engines fitted with DPF were the 170 bhp engines in the vRS.

Ian

IIRC the only 140 bhp PD diesel engines fitted with DPF were the 8 valve units fitted to the 4x4 Octavias. Any engine with the BKD code (on your options sticker) is the 16 valve version and not fitted with the DPF. The only other PD engines fitted with DPF were the 170 bhp engines in the vRS.

Ian

Thanks Ian, Any Idea why it was necessary to fit DPF to the 8 valve units and the 170bhp engines and not the 16 valve 140bhp.

handy to know, i have a 10 plate fl 2.0l tdi 140 car, it too has the bkd engine, good to know i dont have to worry about the dpf.

absolutely,After Searching PD engines DPF problems , and finding members are paying for removal, remaps etc and all the other regen problems ,I would not have purchased a PD with a DPF, as a lot of the time I only do very short runs. Moved from a 110 hp CR Yeti as I wanted more power to do long distance touring with my caravan, the DPF on the CR engine was no problem at all and would do active regens even though using it for short runs when the tempature gauge had hardly moved.

Thanks Ian, Any Idea why it was necessary to fit DPF to the 8 valve units and the 170bhp engines and not the 16 valve 140bhp.

It might be a slightly different reason.

The 4x4 & Scout are heavier & higher so greater wind resistance, therefore may struggle to meet the Euro 5 emissions with the 16 valve lump, the cheapest fix may have been to fit the 8 valve with the DPF

As the injectors are driven by the cams in a 16V BKD PD unit there is very little control over the injector timing with regard to emissions - hence the change to the CR system. For the DPF to regen properly you need to inject more fuel at a later stage in the firing cycle to reach higher temps to burn the soot away. Not entirely possible with a PD unit.

It might be a slightly different reason.

The 4x4 & Scout are heavier & higher so greater wind resistance, therefore may struggle to meet the Euro 5 emissions with the 16 valve lump, the cheapest fix may have been to fit the 8 valve with the DPF

So does the 16valve 2.0 lt 140hp meets Euro 5 emissions without a DPF ,interesting looking at other sites regarding DPF problems with other manufacturers it would seem to be one of the few diesels without a DPF, glad I stuck with the vintage PD ,had a Fabia2 with the 1.9 PD TDI and it was great no DPF.

Edited by mellyboy

It was still legal to sell previously type-approved Euro IV model cars right up to September 2010. I think Skoda must've hung on right to the bitter end as they were still selling the PD Octy without a DPF as recently as last autumn!

It was still legal to sell previously type-approved Euro IV model cars right up to September 2010. I think Skoda must've hung on right to the bitter end as they were still selling the PD Octy without a DPF as recently as last autumn!

Thanks guys for clarification on this subject.Last of the Non DPF engines then , could be a good selling point.

Then why fit the DPF so early to the VRS?

John

John

Good question. I think a few manufacturers tried out DPFs on some of their 'flagship' diesel models long before there was any real need to do so. Eg Peugeot/Citroen fitted a DPF to their 2.2 HDi engine as long ago as 2001 when Euro III was still in force and the HDi easily met that without using a DPF at all.

All the Euro emissions standards do is set a maximum level of certain pollutants and manufacturers can choose to use whatever technology they like to meet those limits. For example there is no law that says "diesel engines must have a dpf" or "diesel engines must be common rail". They merely have to comply with the current emissions standards by using any means they can, and can voluntary exceed the minimum standards if they want to.

John

It seems that all the regen problems could have been avoided as the CR engines were introduced before 2010, whom seem to have no regen problems.

John

I would guess the answer to both questions would be emissions regulations and the outputs from both engines. with an 8 valve engine it would be a bit harder to get the necessary air in, even with a turbo, to ensure complete burn of the diesel in all circumstances. With the 170 bhp engine I would have thought more power equals higher emissions therefore more likelyhood to need exhaust after treatment.

Ian

Many Motorists are currently selling a non DPF diesel - still in it`s prime - only to lumber themselves with a DPF job, to use on short trips.

(And there is no going back - because that non DPF car will be snapped up and kept for the next 10yrs by someone with technical knowledge.)

From Honest John