Best Octavia Roof Rack

I have a new VRS and need a roof rack to carry my bikes. I currently have a Saris Bones back rack but the spoiler is going to make it hard to carry the bikes legally (lights and number plate) as I don't have a tow bar fitted.

I previously owned Thule roof mounting systems and I've been looking at this one - Option C and this bike mount.

Does anyone have any experience of using these systems and does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

There was a post on here earlier today someone selling Skoda roof bars for the octavia,look similar to the thule bars

I have the Thule areo roof bars with Altera bike carriers and they work well together. Well made, easy to fit and hold the bikes very securely. I would also recommend www.roofbox.co.uk as a good place to buy from.

I have a set of skoda original bars, only used once last year! These were for the mk2 pre FL if you are interested I am looking to sell around £80 and based in Leicester. Pm me if your interested.

I have Thules on mine and they are great. Bit fiddly to fit getting the torques even on both side....ie you have to tighten turn by turn on each side to get it straight and true but I can't see it being different on the Skoda bars due to how they fit.

Also have VW bike holders which i believe are also made by Thule.

untitled.jpg

The official Skoda roof bars are the Thule aero bars and are very good. If you are fitting a bike carrier or roof box then it is worth paying the extra for the aero bars to get the mounting tracks.

I haven't tried them myself but Whispbars seem to be the quietest on the market and have mounting tracks. The downside is that they are even more expensive than Thule bars (around £150 for normal bars and £180 for ones with a through mount).

Don't have any noise on mine.....interestingly you get noise when it is just the bars on without the carriers or the box. Having 2 bikes and a roof box on kills the MPG though especially on all those hills in the lakes :giggle:

Edited by jrw

I have a set of skoda roof bars that were £120 from the dealer - I'm sure they are cheaper than the Thule equivalent, more importantly they locate properly into the slot that is pressed into the body door frame, and rubber foot is moulded to the shape of the roof ditch. There is also a locating pin on the bar foot that fits into a hole in the body for extra rigidity. £120 is expensive, but when I've got £3ks worth of TT bike on the roof it's a small price to pay! I use an Atera Signo bike carrier thats OK ish - easy to use but the locking mechanism failed after only a couple of months use.

Just make sure you remember to lock the end covers in place - otherwise they will fly off at speed as mine did. Replacements are £17 for the locks and £24 for the covers for a set of 4.

I haven't tried them myself but Whispbars seem to be the quietest on the market and have mounting tracks. The downside is that they are even more expensive than Thule bars (around £150 for normal bars and £180 for ones with a through mount).

I've got Whisperbars on my estate, amazingly quiet but subjectively not quite the build quality of Thule (Skoda OEM?)

I have a set of skoda roof bars that were £120 from the dealer - I'm sure they are cheaper than the Thule equivalent, more importantly they locate properly into the slot that is pressed into the body door frame, and rubber foot is moulded to the shape of the roof ditch. There is also a locating pin on the bar foot that fits into a hole in the body for extra rigidity. £120 is expensive, but when I've got £3ks worth of TT bike on the roof it's a small price to pay! I use an Atera Signo bike carrier thats OK ish - easy to use but the locking mechanism failed after only a couple of months use.

Just make sure you remember to lock the end covers in place - otherwise they will fly off at speed as mine did. Replacements are £17 for the locks and £24 for the covers for a set of 4.

The thule ones have the moulded rubber foot and the locating pins too!

My bike carriers are the same as the Pro rides above but with VW logos on them ;)

I'm looking at getting a roofrack too, having had a Thule one for 10 years on my VWGolf without issue, would have no hesitation in buying Thule again, build quality superb. I used it for windsurfing, biking, stuff from Ikea, stuff from builders providers.... never moved a cm.

Only question I need to answer myself is whether or not to get Aero or Square bars - the aero are about 50 euro more expensive (ireland). Anyone got insight to the difference? My Golf ones were square...

I'm looking at getting a roofrack too, having had a Thule one for 10 years on my VWGolf without issue, would have no hesitation in buying Thule again, build quality superb. I used it for windsurfing, biking, stuff from Ikea, stuff from builders providers.... never moved a cm.

Only question I need to answer myself is whether or not to get Aero or Square bars - the aero are about 50 euro more expensive (ireland). Anyone got insight to the difference? My Golf ones were square...

Aero have the channel in the top of them for track mounting accessories such as a bike carrier. Ie my bike carriers slide on the T Track and clamp down so negates the need for U brackets.

Mont blanc bars from fastcar for me, http://www.fastcardirect.co.uk/cart/rf20-mont-blanc-premium-range-roofbars-roof-racks-p-849.html?zenid=5b0ff87858ffe0662e5bf30b61487f87

Next day delivery and I have the Mont blanc Scott carriers that I got from http://www.roofrackshop.com/Car-Products/Bike-Racks/Roof-Mounted-Cycle-Carriers/Mont-Blanc-Scott-Roof-Mounted-Cycle-Carrier/0008845p.aspx

No problems with the bars so far, 80mph and no difference in sound so pretty chuffed so far. Only bug bare in the lock, it's a plastic key and my Dad has the same for his Mont Blanc Barracuda. Odd coinsurance but a little annoying

Edited by zeffania

I have got the Skoda bars for my hatch as they do not protrude at each side, unlike most universal bars. That said, universal bars may give you a little extra room on top.

As with most things it's personal preference.

The thule ones have the moulded rubber foot and the locating pins too!

My bike carriers are the same as the Pro rides above but with VW logos on them ;)

That's interesting to note. I couldnt get to see them in time, and none of the retailers I emailed could tell me in enough detail. Just out of interest, how much is the complete Thule kit, including aero bars?

That's interesting to note. I couldnt get to see them in time, and none of the retailers I emailed could tell me in enough detail. Just out of interest, how much is the complete Thule kit, including aero bars?

I got mine for a bargain from ebay off a MK5 Golf. Seller didn't have a clue about them so got them for £50 delivered :) Then £25 for an Octavia Adaptor pack!

I got mine for a bargain from ebay off a MK5 Golf. Seller didn't have a clue about them so got them for £50 delivered :) Then £25 for an Octavia Adaptor pack!

Whoosh!

£160 for Thule new vs Skoda factory at £120. I'd bet the Skoda ones are made by Thule.

• 10 months later...

Dunno if they're still the same, but my pre-fl estate ones I bought from Skoda at the time of buying the car in 2008 are a combination of Thule aero bars which are brilliant and Skoda's own feet/clamps. I think it's something to do with the fact that Thule don't appear to list feet for a pre-fl octy estate. The Skoda feet fit very well (as you would expect!), but the bolts used to tighten them up seem to be made of very soft metal. The allen key wrench that was supplied rounded the inside of the bolts off after abotu 10 uses in three years, but I may have been tightening them too tight, I don't know. Got a free set from Skoda after I complained, but you need to go easy on them otherwise you're stuffed!!