Different fuel

Hi all Im sick of paying thru the nose for fuel :'( so any input will be gratefully received, I know of a local taxi firm that has a fleet of 20+ Octavias all running on a mix of diesel / bio but they store said fuel in a huge plastic tank as they buy in bulk and I dont have the space to have somethink like this dont think my neighbours would be overly chuffed either lol.

I looking for input of various people experiences of Bio and or mixed fuels and the best way of going about buying it, I wouldnt object to say getting it 100 ltrs at a time in say 25ltr drums or something like that ?

Im no longer prepared to tolerate the governments continual tax hikes and ripping off of the poor british motorist its getting beyond a joke, we all need to get to work to earn a living.

Having browsed through alot of posts on here it would seem that 100% bio isnt a great idea for the PD engine, so what fuels are safe in 100% proportion other than std diesel from the pump, or what "mix" is safe to use long term ?.

My car is an 05' plate Octavia 2.0ltr Elegance with around 60k on the clock and has so far been totally trouble free, Its also been mapped by Angel if that influences the issue at all ?, I generally get around 550 miles to a tank so consumption is good its just the price of the stuff that isnt

I live nr Canterbury in Kent to give you guys a rough location so any local options for me ?

Cheers

Tris

:)

get rid of the DPF on the car.

Get a kit and make your own Bio-Diesel.

Works 100%

I am looking into this myself at the moment, Works out at around 14 Cent per liter. ( 10P )?

Collect waste cooking oil from your local chippers etc ;)

if you say zero biodiesel then what effect does the 7% thats in the forecourt stuff have on the mill ? ive heard it screws up the seals and innards of the pump due to the ingredients and the fact that it has no lubricicity but what are you supposed to do if you cannot purchase fuel that doesnt have some bio in it?

get rid of the DPF on the car.

Get a kit and make your own Bio-Diesel.

Works 100%

I am looking into this myself at the moment, Works out at around 14 Cent per liter. ( 10P )?

Collect waste cooking oil from your local chippers etc ;)

It only works out at that price if you don't intend to pay tax on it which even in ROI you are required to do as you are not using the oil for what it has already been priced and taxed for. I think its totally unfair !! saying as its recycling and a form of tax has already been paid on it when first purchased!!! But in the same way the guarda (police) or customs might stop you to check for green or red diesel they WILL for a start smell what it is and expect you to have paperwork showing you have paid the relevant tax etc I do not know what the road side penalty is but I would imagine youd be expected to produce documentation within a time scale. I would expect penalties to be just as harsh as using red/green diesel. :( such a ripp off system but if you are going down that line please please check out the legal side of it this is the reason why many don't bother as there is so much hassle around doing it and doing it legally! Also im sure most people who do it this way use an additive to help lub the engine lots of sites online for it.

ps take a trip north of the border and see the prices we are expected to pay!!!! £1.43 a litre in Fermanagh, most nip over border to top up :D as you can save 10-20p a litre to the point that most ROI petrol stations are priced in sterling as well as Euro with majority of pumps in pounds lol savings getting smaller and smaller though :(

It only works out at that price if you don't intend to pay tax on it which even in ROI you are required to do as you are not using the oil for what it has already been priced and taxed for.

Correct

BUT

Even after registering with revenue it only costs around 52c per liter fully legit..

And the kit to make it only costs less than 800 euro emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Correct

BUT

Even after registering with revenue it only costs around 52c per liter fully legit..

And the kit to make it only costs less than 800 euro emoticon-0148-yes.gif

that sounds spot on in UK it costs a lot more after silly duty and vat got it in there and let us know how it goes could make a good pinned thread out of something like that see how it goes over next 10K miles or so especially if setting it all up yourself :thumbup:

that sounds spot on in UK it costs a lot more after silly duty and vat got it in there and let us know how it goes could make a good pinned thread out of something like that see how it goes over next 10K miles or so especially if setting it all up yourself :thumbup:

Guy living 20 miles from me making his own with the past 4 years..Never a problem

Makes 150 liters every 2 weeks.This does his car and his home heating..!

I will be calling to him to have a chat and check out what it is all about.

This is his description on it

A lot of people confuse biodiesel with Veg oil, they are not the same thing.Biodiesel is a standardised, high qualiity fuel with almost the same performance as fossil diesel. Most cars made before 2004 will run start and run on biodiesel without any modification. Because of biodiesels very high lubricity many drivers notice a marked improvement in smoothness and engine noise. Some cars after 2004 have diesel particulate filters fitted and should not be used with biodiesel.

Veg oil has a very high viscosity and puts the injector pump under considerable stress. This is why only cars with very robust injector pumps, mid nineties Mercedes and Volkswagens will survive for long on high blends of veg oil. A preheater conversion kit helps reduce this problem but even preheated veg oil does not burn completely in a diesel engine, hence the smell from the exhaust and the eventual buildup of deposits in the injection system.

I have been making biodiesel legally for four years.

I make 150 litres of biodiesel every other Saturday at my workshop. I use it in my car and my heating boiler and it currently costs 14 cents per litre.

I asked :

My car is a 2010 Octavia CR170 engine with a DPF... A I to understand that if I remove the DPF and remap to suit I could actually use bio-diesel?

His Reply :

Lots of people have DPFs removed and remapped, usually for performance and economy reasons. If you had that done there is no reason why your engine should not run on biodiesel or biodiesel blends. If the engine has common rail type injection you must be careful to ensure that the fuel is completely dry, because water in either diesel or biodiesel can do damage to the injection system. It is good practice to dry biodiesel down to 200ppm ( parts per million) , the industry standard is 500ppm.

14 cents is what it costs me to make a litre of biodiesel in terms of , raw material, chemicals and electricity. I then pay 42 cent tax on every litre to the taxman so my total bill is 56 cents per litre for road use.

If I use the biodiesel for heating oil I only have to pay 4.7 cents tax so the total cost of my heating oil is 18.7 cents.

I make 150 litres at a time and it takes about 3 hours.

Is he going to cover your warranty for you if it goes horribly wrong?

There has been much discussion on Bio-Diesel and PD140/170 and CR engines

I would refer to this

Biodiesel statement

This information is correct at time of publication/review 3rd March 2010

Standard Forecourt Fuel – BS EN 590

Volkswagen Group does approve the use of diesel fuel containing up to 7% Biodiesel in all of their diesel vehicles. The

change to legislation on 1st April 2010, insists that fuel suppliers must use at least 3.5% Biofuel in diesel production. In

accordance with European legislation (Directive 2003/30/EC) the Biofuel content in forecourt fuel will gradually increase

over the next few years, to meet the objective to reduce the lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions produced by road

transport.

Filling station forecourts supply diesel (to the standard BS EN590), which can now contain up to 7% Biodiesel with at

least 93% Fossil fuel. The use of this fuel requires no modifications to the vehicle or changes to the vehicles’

maintenance schedule.

Important: BS EN 590 is approved for vehicles fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

B30 Biodiesel

Volkswagen Group does not approve the use of B30 Biodiesel in any of its vehicles. B30 Biodiesel is a blend of 70%

Fossil fuel and 30% Biofuel, derived from Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME). The use of this fuel in Volkswagen Group

vehicles may invalidate the engine and exhaust system warranty.

100% Biodiesel

Certain Volkswagen Group vehicle models are approved to run on 100% Rapeseed Methyl Ester (RME) Biodiesel. 100%

RME Biodiesel compatible parts fitted during manufacture of the vehicle is denoted by the vehicle PR code 2G0, which is

found on the data sticker; however some of the older vehicles may not have this PR code. Always refer to the Owner’s

Handbook and factory information regarding the vehicle’s compliance with Biodiesel before using this fuel type. In

vehicles that are 100% Biodiesel compatible, Volkswagen Group has only approved the use of Rapeseed Methyl Ester

(RME) to standard DIN EN 14214. No other Biodiesel can be used.

Important:

• Vehicles that do not have the factory preparation for Biodiesel cannot use 100% Biodiesel.

• Vehicles fitted with a Common Rail fuel injection system cannot use 100% Biodiesel.

• Vehicles fitted with Pumpe-Duse injectors cannot use 100% Biodiesel.

• Vehicles fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) cannot use 100% Biodiesel, however EN590 containing up

to 7% Biodiesel is approved for use with DPF.

• 100% Biodiesel vehicles cannot be used in temperatures below -10°C.

• The use of 100% Biodiesel may slightly reduce the driving performance of the vehicle and slightly increase the

fuel consumption.

• The use of 100% Biodiesel may increase the frequency of the maintenance schedule on the vehicle.

Taken from here

Guy living 20 miles from me making his own with the past 4 years..Never a problem

Makes 150 liters every 2 weeks.This does his car and his home heating..!

I will be calling to him to have a chat and check out what it is all about.

This is his description on it

I asked :

His Reply :

Id love to be brave enough to do this but id prob be tempted if I was in a position to set it all up like that guy to have a car worth £1000 max prob a 2.0 HDi or an old 1.9TDi to trial it until confident but if you do go for it mucker keep us posted would love to use you as a guinea pig :D

Exactly - I too would love to run on cheaper Bio

BUT

VW say NO on cars post 2004 unless they have been built at the factory for Bio. I believe (but could be wrong) that some seals are made of a different material to stop them degrading.

Given that injectors on PD170s fail anyway and are £400+ each would you want to risk it and be the guinea pig??

If I use the biodiesel for heating oil I only have to pay 4.7 cents tax so the total cost of my heating oil is 18.7 cents.

Be worth it just for that seein as Kerosene is mad price at the minute

Be worth it just for that seein as Kerosene is mad price at the minute

Last lot of heating oil we had was about 60p/l... so that is worth it and the innards of an oil boiler aren't quite the same level of sensitivity!!! I'd love to use biodiesel but the sticker on the fuel catch that says 'NO BIODIESEL' makes me thing i'm risking £11.5K of car...