Vrs dress-up on the lesser Fabia models

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why bother with the vRS kit? Get the official Skoda Sport Styling kit. Less likely to massively effect the re-sale value and a lot cheaper than getting vRS parts.

Especially as the vRS has totally different fog/spot arrangement to the rest of the range. Was going to get the vRS rear bumper myself but the dealer quoted £240 +vat fir an unpainted vRS rear bumper but the styling kit cost £160 for a rear spoiler that looks like an inverted version.

Although there are TWO styling kits - the MC sytle one and the older one which Skoda still list in their options booklet.

47mph on the motorway?! Driving around on A-roads at low 40ish mph with tailback forming behind then doing 45-50 on roundabouts? ...... Not cool at all mate :thumbdown: .

Can't see the point of splashing out on front and rear vRS bumpers + aftermarket suspension on an eco-trolley to try and gain an extra couple of mpg. If indeed it does boost economy a fraction (which I doubt) it would take years to claw back the intial extra outlay.

If you are in such a tight financial position that you need to worry about squeezing out every drop of diesel from a tank why buy a new greenline in the first place? -I reckon you'd be better off buying some other second-hand VAG TDI for half the cost and pocketing the difference.

Not having a pop just my thoughts on this interesting debate... :p

You sir must have the patience of a saint on your journeys! As others have said slow doesn't necessarily equal economical.. I'm all for experimenting with driving styles to gain mpg,and I regularly cruise at 60-65 for a relaxed, fuel efficient journey but from what you've written you sound like a real annoyance and, at worst, a danger to other road users. I'd reconsider your driving philosophy while you're young...

I can honestly say that in my experience you need to get a little over 50mph in the GL2 to get the benefit of good economy in top gear. At under 50mph you are better off in 4th unless going downhill. It'll struggle in 5th until you get to about 51/52mph and then it'll stay happily in 5th all the time.

You'll still get good economy, but the sweet spot is top gear, between 52mph and 60mph in my experience.

Driving with the speed restricted lorries at 56mph I can easily average 80+mpg real time, not optimistic display figure.

Problem for me is that I'm used to driving bigger engined cars with much more torque...

Paul, my last car for work was a two year old 3.6 litre V8 Diesel Range Rover with twin turbos! :D

It went like stink and I could still average 28mpg. But I find I quickly get used to whatever I drive on a regular basis, and I have with the GL2. Completely different, but great.

You can carry carry good speed through the corners with the lowered suspension too. Doesn't roll that much.

I pay less for my Greenline than a Monte Carlo but get rear DISC brakes instead of the rear drums on the Monte Carlo

I think that is because it comes with ESP as standard (which is an option on the not-so-full Monte)

You sir must have the patience of a saint on your journeys! As others have said slow doesn't necessarily equal economical.. I'm all for experimenting with driving styles to gain mpg,and I regularly cruise at 60-65 for a relaxed, fuel efficient journey but from what you've written you sound like a real annoyance and, at worst, a danger to other road users. I'd reconsider your driving philosophy while you're young...

Perfect post. :thumbup:

...All the money you "save" hypermilling or whatever it is you do you just burn up in the Porsche and MR2! Is it really worth it being so concerned about mpg? Just get a 60mpg diesel and be done IMHO.

Alternatively, discussing driving styles do the IAM course you will learn how to drive a car safely while maintaining progress and wont be a risk to other road users in the process.

Paul, my last car for work was a two year old 3.6 litre V8 Diesel Range Rover with twin turbos! :D

It went like stink and I could still average 28mpg. But I find I quickly get used to whatever I drive on a regular basis, and I have with the GL2. Completely different, but great.

Hi Richard,

Sorry dont think I made my point all that clearly so thought I'd clarify. I personally only have the one car and have only ever had one car but as a result (for the last few years anyway) have always had something relatively powerful, not sportscar powerful but always with over 100hp. I've always wanted a "toy" but havent been able to justify it financially; was looking to buy a standard import Evo 5 or 6 not too long ago but the wife fell pregnant so thats of course had to take priority.

Point I was trying to make was that having to live with a 75hp car all day everyday would probably get on my nerves as I'd have nothing else with more power to drive and have a bit of fun in. My wife has an 80ps Polo at the moment and whilst its quite nippy for what it is, its a world different to my Golf and on a long run I just want to get out of it and hand the keys back to her indoors.

Things are on the change however, waiting on a vRS estate so we'll soon have a quick car in the family, part of the reason we went for it was that I've hankered after a hot hatch for years and felt now we have the stability and the funds to justify running one we went for it. Practical and safe for the wife, quick and a bit of fun for me. That the car was so cheap in the 1st place helped too. My Golf is a company car and will be due for renewal in about 18 months (will need to order it in about a year) but given the change in circumstances will probably just plump for a 1.6 TDi Passat Estate SE, a big comfy economical and cheap tax car as I'll have something more fun to drive as and when I feel the need.

Having the choice of several different cars makes it alot easier to live with a low powered car. BTW love the TDV8's, they are a fantastic piece of kit. Father in law had a new 3.0 straight six Vogue back on 2003 and as lovely as it was it broke all the time and sold it about 18 months later, think LR have got past that build quality problem now though. Can only imagine how good the new 4.4 is, dont suppose i'll ever be buying an £80k car though haha!

Perfect post. :thumbup:

Agree to be honest. However we've got to cut Sonner some slack, we were all 22 once, I know I used to do some silly things in a car at that age :-)

I find that in the fabia 1.4 8v and my felicia 1.6 8v they both have very short ratio boxes.

i find optimum fuel consumption is 5th at about 39mph, however in the fabia you need to be at 50mph to tackle a hill and the felicia tackles hill at about 44mph as it's lighter and more torquey.. 99lb/ft to be exact.

so for me driving at 45-50mph is getting me better fuel economy than 55-60mph....

however i was pretty sure that because of the longer gearing in the Greenline this speed will increase to 55-60mph where possible.

i know when i use my mums 1.8 tdci 115ps focus that i'm better off doing 60mph than 45mph because of the gearing.

i just alter my driving depending on the car, ideally it's nice in a petrol car when in top gear to sit below 2000rpm.

Remind me to avoid driving in T Wells when you are about, mate! :giggle:

Seriously though, I can only echo what other have said, why have an ultra efficient car and mod it to look, well, like something it isn't? the power in the GL will leave you frustrated with the lack of oomph for sure, even driving carefully will see you having to rev it past 3000 to keep your speed in some situations. I think a 105hp cr engine would serve you much better for the driving style you describe and regular journeys you take.

But again, its your money.

Edited by vulgatrendkill

Remind me to avoid driving in T Wells when you are about, mate! :giggle:

Seriously though, I can only echo what other have said, why have an ultra efficient car and mod it to look, well, like something it isn't? the power in the GL will leave you frustrated with the lack of oomph for sure, even driving carefully will see you having to rev it past 3000 to keep your speed in some situations. I think a 105hp cr engine would serve you much better for the driving style you describe and regular journeys you take.

But again, its your money.

Max torque is generated at 2000prm, so you generally get to 2500 max and then change gear to keep it in the powerband, which also gives the best economy. It'll happily climb hills all day long without having to go over the peak torque rpm.

If you are hitting 3000rpm in a GL2 you may have bought the wrong car... :D

I'm glad we have you on our side Richard, i think this Greenline too is getting a bit of flak from other members that have a "need for speed" or/and are knocking it before they try.

Edited by Sonner

May sound a little stupid how about stripping the interior theres a hell of a lot of weight there. Completely reversable and create a bigger loadspace. Maybe even a sparco bucket seat comfy cheap ish and lighweight. As long as you dont carry any passengers.

Would also be worth swapping mirrors to something out of the demon tweeks catalogue, smoothing or taping some shutlines very cheap but effective

so this means i can average 55-60mph where possible on my daily commute and keep it under 2000rpm

SWEET

thanks Richards

my Journeys are protentially gonna be mouch quicker down to Devon knowing that i can travel fatser than a lorry probs still keep it at 60mph though

Yes it does take patience of a saint to go that slow for 4hrs solid but i am not gonna lie, i do have my "lapses" in concentration.... normally prompted by being overtaken by drivers(normally in 4x4's and Audi repmobiles) that want to nail it on the straights but slow down too much for the corners and roundabouts, i tend to re-overtake them to prove a point that they didn't get anywhere faster cos they can't drive smoothly...

the amount of times on dual carriageways when cars zoom off in the fast lane then 2000metres later when at the next roundabout about the have moved into the slow lane behind traffic, leaving me a gap to slip into the fast lane and take the inside lane on the roundbaout and wooosh there behind me again, afterwards they are busy accelerating back up to 80mph through the gears, whilst all the time i stayed in top gear and didn't go above 60mph or below 40mph and didn't use more than 30% throttle at any point. hehe

Edited by Sonner

duffman

i use my back seats almost every weekend,

i like your idea about the sealing with tape the cracks but maybe i would like try it on a long drive down to devon(however wouldn't want to ruin paintwork) in the summer when i know there is no rain, i think the £2 i spend on tape will negate the mpg savings...

Been reading the Brochure in detail and noticed that the Brochure states the Greenline 2 has chrome effect interior door handles.....

the one i test drove didn't.... even called the dealer just now to check....and it doesn't

does anyone have or not have the chrome effect handles?? i have them in my mk1 fabia and i quite look them... fingers crossed

Been reading the Brochure in detail and noticed that the Brochure states the Greenline 2 has chrome effect interior door handles.....

the one i test drove didn't.... even called the dealer just now to check....and it doesn't

does anyone have or not have the chrome effect handles?? i have them in my mk1 fabia and i quite look them... fingers crossed

No. Brochure error.

I'm not sure that any Fabia comes with chrome interior handles actually.

Our mkI Elegance did, but the current brochure I just looked in suggests none do.

Even the photo of the Elegance cabin has black interior handles.

the amount of times on dual carriageways when cars zoom off in the fast lane then 2000metres later when at the next roundabout about the have moved into the slow lane behind traffic, leaving me a gap to slip into the fast lane and take the inside lane on the roundbaout and wooosh there behind me again, afterwards they are busy accelerating back up to 80mph through the gears, whilst all the time i stayed in top gear and didn't go above 60mph or below 40mph and didn't use more than 30% throttle at any point. hehe

Then you pass them when they stop for 10 minutes to get fuel. :D

I think it the mk1 it's a nice tough, but your right i can't spot it on any of the nk2 models...

it's pretty random that the brochure is offering something that doesn't exist within the Fabia range.

have you looked at the online downloadable brochure that's the one i checked after reading it in the brochure at the dealership...

oh well