MDI Connections

Lee

When I finally get my new vRS I'm planning on connecting the MDI to my old HTC Touch HD phone via Mini USB that has an 8GB memory card with a lot of music stored in WMA files.

Anyone know if this will work or will I have to transfer the files to another storage media? Hard disk? USB stick?

BTY, I don't store much music on my iPhone so that's a non-starter.

Dont know if the phone works, but do know I was asked what lead I wanted being either IPOD, USB or Mini USB.

Make sure your dealer gets the lead in ready for the car or you probably find they forgot and will have to order the lead which will turn up a week or so later.

Although they should come with the car they dont, its up to the dealer to suppy on the day.

Hope this helps.

Rather than ordering a mini usb lead then finding out you have issues with the phone I'd get the USB lead and get a 8gb USB stick from ebay for £8 or a 16gb stick for £15.

I use the mdi with a 120gb ipod classic, and it works great but navigation can be an issue with the swing head unit, fitting a bolero with 6" touch screen makes navigation much easier.

Cheers

Lee

I told my dealer to make sure the cable was in the car a couple of weeks before I collected it -did they bother to sort this out? -Nope!

Asked them for an MDI to ipod lead when collected the car, several weeks later what lead turns up? -a stupid MDI lead with a 3.5mm jack on the end!! Incompetent idiots!!! :thumbdown:

If you think the dealer is going to not have the lead (which is more than likely) they are for sale on EBAY for £ 8 - £ 15. I know this goes against the grain but at least you will have one.

Thanks for the tips & advice.

My laptop sees the phone memory card as another drive and plays all files on Windows Media Player with no problems so I might just go down the mini USB route after all.

• 9 months later...

Get the USB MDI cable, as long as your phone appears to windows as a mass storage device then the MDI will see it and play the music fine.

My Motorola Defy smartphone appears to Windows as a mass storage device. When connection with MDI, the smartphone provides access to its memory card. My radio detects a device but can't recognize it because I get the error message "MDI NOT FUNCTIONAL". What's wrong here ?

When I finally get my new vRS I'm planning on connecting the MDI to my old HTC Touch HD phone via Mini USB that has an 8GB memory card with a lot of music stored in WMA files.

Anyone know if this will work or will I have to transfer the files to another storage media? Hard disk? USB stick?

BTY, I don't store much music on my iPhone so that's a non-starter.

I went with the Mini USB option in the end connected to a Seagate portable hardrive. No problems at all: car recognises all tracks and retuns to the exact place on a particular track even if the drive is disconnected.