Driving Miss Daisy hit's REV Limiter at 4500 RPM

Hi Guys,I noticed yesterday during overtaking that my rev limiter kicked in at about 4500 RPM (shouldn't red line until 6500 RPM, 2006 Octavia vRS 2.0 TFSI). The car runs beautifully apart from this and I'm getting about 35 MPG. Does anyone have any idea what could be at fault?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps your car had ideas of grandeur and thought it was a diesel :rofl: :rofl:

Might have been just a glitch in the software, might be worth a try to redline the car again and see what happens as the simple matter of just turning the car off and then starting up again may have cleared the problem.

Ian

Perhaps your car had ideas of grandeur and thought it was a diesel :rofl: :rofl:

Might have been just a glitch in the software, might be worth a try to redline the car again and see what happens as the simple matter of just turning the car off and then starting up again may have cleared the problem.

Ian

I wouldn't mind if it was an oil burner, diesel was my first choice but alas nothing available within my budget when I was looking!

I did think it was a glitch and tried it again on a straight bit of road and gradual build up of revs but still cut out at 4500, and have had the battery disconnected today too to have cruise control fitted but the fault is still there, the Skoda garage 'didn't get round to checking the rev problem'!

I believe your car is some kind of limp mode, as in limp mode the max RPM is restricted to protect the engine. If you have access to VCDS it maybe worth getting someone to read the fault codes on the ECU.

I believe your car is some kind of limp mode, as in limp mode the max RPM is restricted to protect the engine. If you have access to VCDS it maybe worth getting someone to read the fault codes on the ECU.

I suspected a limp mode but the car runs lovely with no restriction on speed as long as I keep it below 4500 RPM. I'll put the feelers out for someone local with VCDS.

Cheers.

Yep - sounds like limp mode.

As it was 3rd gear it should redline no problem.

Get the codes read and reset and see if it is any different.

Thanks for the reply, I've posted on the VCDS forum for someone local to come to my aid.

I will post the outcome.

Cheers.

As it was 3rd gear it should redline no problem.

Does the rev limit definitely change according to which gear you're in?

Is it lower in 1st/2nd?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update,

I bought VCDS and reset the faults. I tried the car out and it revs above the 4500 RPM problem point, I only took it to 5500RPM and all was fine.

Thanks to all for your input.

I love this car!

No

same in all gears

I agree with Stuart_J with a slight exception... In somewhat quicker cars (although yours is far from a slouch!) cars are limited to a top speed of 155mph. This is done via the rev limiter but I believe it tends only to be top gear that is limited. I heard once somewhere that a BMW M3 although limited to 155mph / 250kmh in top can clock up around 180mph in presumably 5th gear (although it could be 6th now-a-days).

No personal experience - unfortunately :giggle: but thought I'd mention it.... could be wrong but sounds plausible.

Stef