Which new Roomster? SE 1.2 TSI 105PS or SE 1.6 TFI 105PS

Get a set of 15" rims and stick a set of 195/55/15" winter tyres on and swap over from Nov' to March on the winters like I do! Best thing ever!!!

i guys ive orered a 1.2 tsi se black roomy sitting in the compond now waiting to be tax and cleaned hopeing in the next 2 weeks i mite get it

just reading whot you say about the glass roofs i will be keeping my car a few years this time can you tell me a bit more please about the roof

and enymore problems thanks pete

So with respect I hope fabdavrav was not raising undue concern about the risk of chips and cracks in the glass roof and increased insurance?

Not trying to PANIC :o you!! Just trying to make you aware of the possible problems with the fixed glass roof.

Everything in life is a comprimise!! :S

Fixed glass roof advantages; brings in lots of light, includes retractable sun blind, fun, looks better.

Fixed glass roof disadvantages; some people have reported stress cracks and stone chips.

Replacement should be covered under the normal windscreen excess of your insurance policy.

Hope this clears things up a bit!! B)

EDIT

Re the 16" rims and tyres (Scout has 205/45/16 = 205mm wide tyre,with a sidewall depth of 45% of the width, on a 16" alloy rim)

Tyres are the "primary" shock absorbers in a suspension system, the minimum aspect ration for a good system is 45% and 50%. When Honest John (very good advice..been reading his columns for over 12years now) usually refers to "low profile" this is the 17",18" rims and bigger that have tyre aspect ratios of 35%,30% and smaller!!! Don't get to hung up on the 16" as most of the time just lowering the pressures a tad (most air gauges at filling stations are inacurate,and the dealers tend to set the pressures to the setting for the car fully loaded! get your own from Halfords) or just a swap to a different make of tyre as some tyres have stiffer side walls than others! B)

EDIT

Go for the 105TSI if you have the budget, as this is the newest best small engine from VAG B)

Edited by fabdavrav

Go for the 105TSI if you have the budget, as this is the newest best small engine from VAG B)

I do agree that many things in life are a compromise. So I've compromised to have a Scout which has the glass free roof that I wanted but 16" wheels (I wanted 15").

I was very impressed with test drives of a Roomster TDI and a Fabia 1.2 TSI 86PS today. The latter had plenty of pick-up-and-go even from low revs. So the Scout below I've just ordered should go really well.

Thanks again everyone for your input :thumbup:

New Vehicle Order Form 26/4/11.

Skoda Roomster Scout 1.2 TSI 105bhp manual Brilliant Silver, Scout Onyx

3rd rear head rest

Passenger air bag deactivating switch

Spare wheel - temporary

Bike holder X2

Life shine

Net price £13052.83

----

Now the wait for delivery to the showroom :zzz:

New Vehicle Order Form 26/4/11.

Skoda Roomster Scout 1.2 TSI 105bhp manual Brilliant Silver, Scout Onyx

3rd rear head rest

Passenger air bag deactivating switch

Spare wheel - temporary

Bike holder X2

Life shine

Net price £13052.83

----

Now the wait for delivery to the showroom :zzz:

Got to admit thats alot of car for the money!!!! Good choice!!! What they quoting for delivery wait on that??? as there seems to be a big wait for the DSG version! B)

Got to admit thats alot of car for the money!!!! Good choice!!! What they quoting for delivery wait on that??? as there seems to be a big wait for the DSG version! B)

Thank you :angel: and also for your input that helped me narrow down the options

The salesman said he'd phone me tomorrow with an estimate. (I'm in no rush as I have my reliable 16yo Toyota HiAce van to keep me going and may sell it when the Roomster Scout arrives.)

I did not want to order the DSG version for a number of reasons: I wanted to keep in practice with a manual, my wife has never driven an automatic and, as I'm a risk averse IT geek :nerd: , the potential reliability/performance gearbox drive problems as a result of the sophisticated programming of the firmware for the DSG.

Thank you :angel: and also for your input that helped me narrow down the options

The salesman said he'd phone me tomorrow with an estimate. (I'm in no rush as I have my reliable 16yo Toyota HiAce van to keep me going and may sell it when the Roomster Scout arrives.)

I did not want to order the DSG version for a number of reasons: I wanted to keep in practice with a manual, my wife has never driven an automatic and, as I'm a risk averse IT geek :nerd: , the potential reliability/performance gearbox drive problems as a result of the sophisticated programming of the firmware for the DSG.

DSG....altho' the latest 7speed is much improved compared to the older 6 speed,...I'm like you, "ludite" :p and prefer to exercise my left foot to the full!!! B)

DSG....altho' the latest 7speed is much improved compared to the older 6 speed,...I'm like you, "ludite" :p and prefer to exercise my left foot to the full!!! B)

I prefer to retain the sensitivity of my (left) clutch foot and also that of my (right) braking foot.

So we're not Luddites :no:

When I worked for long periods in the States automatics were the norm, inefficient, for lazy unskilled drives and not providing as good control as "stick shifts".

The stick shift 289 cu in Mustang I rented in the late '60s was a hoot to drive :D but road handling was something else :devil:

When I got bored on long drives in my youth many many years ago on quiet traffic and pedestrian free roads I sometimes crossed my legs and drove with my left foot for accelerator and brake pedals and right foot for clutch. It was quite difficult to brake smoothly. Oh! the foolhardiness of youth :blush:

Yes - great buy, Welshmike! You will be delighted with it.

What made you change your mind about the roof rails?

You got me to worry for a moment. I did want black roof rails and phew! they come as standard on the Scout.

Have to say the spec sheet and what the cars in the dealers had on them as standard did not match up when I order my Roomster back in March. Things like rear discs seemed to be standard on some SE spec cars depending on engine but all the dealers examples had them. I opted for the spare wheel, cruise control, climate control, 3rd headrest, fog lights and passenger airbag switch on top of the SE spec which seemed better value with those options.

Just have to wait and see what it turns up with, 8 weeks in and still no contact from the dealer about how things are progressing, their best guesstimate at order time was early June delivery.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Get a set of 15" rims and stick a set of 195/55/15" winter tyres on and swap over from Nov' to March on the winters like I do! Best thing ever!!!

ive got 16s on my se model i think they are ok aim even thiking of going to buy sum 17s just for the shows

as for the engine aim realy pleased with it. had the 3 pot sport still a good engine as for the fuel its great

just adding a few bits on it then i will be ready for the shows pete

Seems this thread has been done to death already..., but FWIW..., the DSG box does work well with the 1.2tsi, and the little engine doesn't feel even remotely stressed driven normally. Turbo charging shifts the torque cover well down and as such is feels strong from 2,000rpm, less maybe. The way the computer shifts gears on-power, feathering the clutch and throttle between ratios is very clever indeed, it takes out the flywheel momentum in this way and the change is pretty much inpeceptable.

Also re glass roof, I've avoided them in the past but have one in a Fiat 500 and haven't looked back since - the roomster is my third car straight with one. With the blinds shut solar heat gain isn't too much of an issue (when driving).

BTW I ordered mine (SE) with optional automatic air con, when this arrived it's (thankfully!) the full climatronic system, not the climatic twiddly-knob controls that Skoda UK and the garage thought it would be. It's a great system and well worth every penny (IMO).

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Seems this thread has been done to death already..., but FWIW..., the DSG box does work well with the 1.2tsi, and the little engine doesn't feel even remotely stressed driven normally. Turbo charging shifts the torque cover well down and as such is feels strong from 2,000rpm, less maybe. The way the computer shifts gears on-power, feathering the clutch and throttle between ratios is very clever indeed, it takes out the flywheel momentum in this way and the change is pretty much inpeceptable.

Also re glass roof, I've avoided them in the past but have one in a Fiat 500 and haven't looked back since - the roomster is my third car straight with one. With the blinds shut solar heat gain isn't too much of an issue (when driving).

BTW I ordered mine (SE) with optional automatic air con, when this arrived it's (thankfully!) the full climatronic system, not the climatic twiddly-knob controls that Skoda UK and the garage thought it would be. It's a great system and well worth every penny (IMO).

HTH

I am so happy with my tsi 105 with manual gearshift. Low consumption and noise, as long as you are not heavy-footed, good torque and performance. The only cons I found are little response under 1500 rpm and the fact that it is a bit boring compared to atmospheric engines. I mean, the nearly flat torque curve gives you a feeling of low progression, compared to traditional no-turbo engines.

But I admit this is to be really picky emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Edited by Lorenzo

I am so happy with my tsi 105 with manual gearshift. Low consumption and noise, as long as you are not heavy-footed, good torque and performance. The only cons I found are little response under 1500 rpm and the fact that it is a bit boring compared to atmospheric engines. I mean, the nearly flat torque curve gives you a feeling of low progression, compared to traditional no-turbo engines.

But I admit this is to be really picky emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I ordered a 105 tsi manual Roomster Scout on April 26. There'll be a long wait before it arrives, possibly in November. :doh:

I ordered a 105 tsi manual Roomster Scout on April 26. There'll be a long wait before it arrives, possibly in November. :doh:

Good Luck emoticon-0105-wink.gif

I hope it will arrive sooner than you expect. Even if you have to wait for so long, I am sure you will like it.

Good Luck emoticon-0105-wink.gif

I hope it will arrive sooner than you expect. Even if you have to wait for so long, I am sure you will like it.

Thanks. :thumbup:

It was the only small vehicle that met my needs of holding my windsurfing equipment by removing the back row of seats and folding flat the front passenger seat back Also I appreciate being able to put my bicycles inside upright in the back area with the back row of seats out.

With the expensive cost of petrol at about £1.35 per litre I hope to get good economy by driving with a light foot and not engage the supercharger or turbocharger unless necessary for safety e.g. when entering a motorway.